Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sef Taking Ages To Complete...

HI,

hmmmm, took the decision to work from home today and get on with the SEF, how long is it LOL, in know i can waffle but im still only just done the five outcomes (kind of halfway through) and have been at it all day.

granted it does take some thinking about and i have found it a useful excercise just did not expect it to take so long. I think that the nursery owners think it will be all done in a day, oh how wrong....

plus it would help if it automatically carried out a spell check for you.

how long did it take you all?, or is that a question that merits the answer of 'how long is a piece of string' :o

Dawn

Edited by Guest

we have just had a one to one with a pdw to help us with it -she thought we had done really well and just needed to say how each would impact on the children.

we also received a help sheet from local council to help us complete the form which has been a great help - even so it has taken an age and we were advised that all staff should have an imput as ofsted would ask questions about what was on the sef and should be able to answer as per the sef.

Started ours in December 08 and still going! Always seem to start with gusto and then burn out

after a few hours, there seems so much info to type!! My Early Years advisor said the next Ofsted visit

will be quicker if we have a SEF ompleted beforehand so hopefully it will be worth it in the end although

it is not compulsory. xD:o

dottyp

Going on the training on Monday. I'm hoping that will give me inspiration. Been a bit scared to start really without getting the proper advice.Has anyone else been on the SEF training in Essex?

Going on the training on Monday. I'm hoping that will give me inspiration. Been a bit scared to start really without getting the proper advice.Has anyone else been on the SEF training in Essex?

No - Kent - really useful - have lots of notes - but just can't get started - Easter hols. job now I think!

If I spent less time on here I might get something done - but this is much more fun - and I tell myself I'm info. gathering!!!

Sunnyday

hi i am a childminder and looked at this sef in complete horror. i proceeded to fill it out manually as i dont trust my comp. how many times did i feel i was repeating myself????? as i think im aware this is for our benefit not ofsted, to assess our improvements in our eyes. altho im going thro tough times with ofsted at mo all for sake of accommodating parents commitments to jobs etc traffic and matters beyond their control. i am being investigated!!!!!! all this paperwork lovvie is i think to make it easier for ofsted when they do their inspections, so they dont have to root through everything that you have in place.more work for us ... less for them!!!

Took ages, wasn't able to get to training, but did clarify thoughts, just had ofsted and gave her the whole thing on paper (with a smile) she handed some of it back saying there were two copies I said no they are the guidance notes. I did it all on my own as I was told to by our PDO 'it was up to me' she said at our last meeting.

Just wish I'd put 'outstanding' on everything as she seemed to copy our 'good' not that I'm complaining :o

Rachel

Ours took absolutely ages!!! Started and kept it saved as draft online ......Then really really really not amused when I found out that the Ofsted web link to submit it on was no longer there for a whole month!!!! (well not on my computer anyway)- so had to write it out by hand - from memory!!!!!!! As you can imagine I was not well pleased. Even less well pleased when I tried to use the Ofsted website to email them to explain the problem - and then found that after I'd written my email, the Ofsted site wouldn't allow me to submit it....

Posted it last week (not as thorough as originally done, but was absolutely fed up with it by that time)- in total I hate to think how many hours were spent on this.

Hi There

I've just done a 5 hour stint in two batches on SEf and managed to complete a couple of sub sections. I too am finding it hard going, long winded and very repetitive.

Keep wondering if I'm doing it correctly, including too much information, irrelevant detail, not enough examples, lack of 'paper' trail.........

Oh well !

Hi

Well I have finally completed a very basic draft which I have submitted. Have printed it out and am going to re-read it with my staff.......I think I may need a red pen to mark all of the mistakes lol.

Carol

We havent done ours either... supevisor waiting for training course soon before attmepting...you lot have put me off!

We did sections 1 and 2 before I went on training. It was a whole day and we only covered sections 1-3 :o

Going back on Friday for part 2 of training - oh joy xD

RR

Guest MaryEMac

My SEF travels to and from work with me everyday. The idea being that I may get chance to fill a bit more in. (wishful thinking!!) I have a day off on a Tuesday bit I am loathe to use my free time (after housework, washing and ironing) to fill in a longwinded form which apparently is not obligatory. We also have a Quality framework document from our county which is similar. I will get to it eventually, just not today.

Mary