Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ice Balloons

Help! This may be a really silly question. I want to make ice balloons for the children to explore. How do you get the water into the balloon and create a big balloon (about 4 - 5 cm) rather than just the unblown up balloon?!! :o

I don't actually use balloons at all - never enough space in my freezer what with number one son's endless supply of pies!

I use the old fashioned Tupperware containers (the 'round' square ones with the sunburst pattern on the lid, if you know what I mean! Does the job just as well and you don't have to be quite so concerned about water spurting all over the kitchen! :o

Maz

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

Oh but its soo much more of a challenge filling balloons - you just have to get the end of the balloon fitting tight over the tap and then support the balloon underneath while it fills xD then be rrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllly careful taking it off the tap :o hehe

It's really good fun to get someone to do it for the first time and not tell them they have to be careful when taking it off the tap. And then enjoy the panic as they try to stop the water all spurting back out again!

Or is that just me?

Ahh Schadenfraude, there's a great song about it in the musical Avenue Q, look it up if you fancy it, it's funny but quite rude!

The secret like others have said is to make sure you get as much of the neck of the balloon onto the tap and then hold the balloon if it gets really big. I had great fun with mine last time as one for some reason hadn't frozen enough and burst as I was carrying it across the room to the table where the kids were! It went EVERYWHERE!

We use gloves, in fact was doing it yesterday, the kids were breaking them with rolling pins, but the person who had made them put orange paint water in them so i was hiding behind a towel but still managed to acquire a few new freckles!! They enjoyed snaping the fingers off the most!!!!

Help! This may be a really silly question. I want to make ice balloons for the children to explore. How do you get the water into the balloon and create a big balloon (about 4 - 5 cm) rather than just the unblown up balloon?!! :o

hi there,

i was nominated to do this and thought it would be quite simple,ha ha! Myself and a group of children got very damp working out the best way. Luckily we were outside! i blew up a balloon to a fair size and by pinching it closed fed the free end of the neck onto a funnel. Each child had stirred up a tiny bit of powder paint into some water which we poured into the funnel while i let out the air. They loved watching the bubbles, hearing the noise and wondering about how it was happening!! Being near the water area meant lots of children could rush over with more water when needed. It was fab!! Have a go!! xD

i was nominated to do this and thought it would be quite simple,ha ha! Myself and a group of children got very damp working out the best way.

Fantastic sustained shared thinking there, chocisgood!

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on making your first post. Hope its the first of many!

Maz

Fantastic sustained shared thinking there, chocisgood!

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on making your first post. Hope its the first of many!

Maz

Thanks for the welcome HappyMaz ! can i have a gold sticker for working out how to post replies!!

mmm sustained shared thinking...just what i need to quote in my latest assignment on Factors affecting learners and learning. You have helped me out there so thanks again!

:o