Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bumbo Seats

Can I ask your opinion on the bumbo seat. I have been asked by our baby room staff today if they can have one, personally I have never liked them. I dont know if im letting my personal thoughts cloud my professional judgement. So I thought i'd ask you guys for your views.

Thanks jojom x

Hmm, I dunno, what are the benefits?

Babies stay where you put them, I imagine! :o Never having worked in a baby room I can't offer an opinion - but I have seen them before and wondered whether children can get in or out of them easily. xD

Maz

My grandaughter has one and it seems great. She sits well supported and very comfortable. she seems very comfortable and doesn't cry as though she was uncomfortable. when she sits in her high chair she doesn't like it and tends to fall to one side.

they are wipeable and easy to keep clean, also quite soft to the touch.

What reservations do you have? from what I can find out they won lots of awards

My daughter-in-law likes it because she can take it with them when they go out so its quite portable.

Steph

havent used them in work , however my daughter bought one for grandson when he was 4 month old and i hated it!! he looked so uncomfortable and unnatural!!! let development take its course i say!! when they are ready to sit up they will do so!!

Can the babies still have freedom of movement when in them or do they feel restricted. How can a baby play when in the seat. I remember a few years back a mum saying she sat her baby in it in front of the tv while she made tea and I guess that thought has stuck with me. I know the staff in the baby room wont misuse it in any way but it has still put me off them.

I've only seen one used once but I thought it was a good idea. The main user was a 1 yr old who had the physical development of a 4 month old. It gave her a different view point for some of the day and helped when the staff had to give her some of the physio's activities. Other babies were sat in it at times. A few minutes so they could play with the baby gym from a different angle maybe or if a baby cried when laid flat by the staff it came into use then while staff did whatever it was they had to do.

I didnt think they looked uncomfortable at all :o

I bought one for my setting at the request of one set of parents; they had been advised by the Health Visitor to get one for their child as he had a flat head at the back and they wanted to keep any pressure off it; he loved it and had a different perspective on the world, we dont use it all the time, in fact I dont think we've used it since he has grown out of it.

I've only seen one used once but I thought it was a good idea. The main user was a 1 yr old who had the physical development of a 4 month old. It gave her a different view point for some of the day and helped when the staff had to give her some of the physio's activities. Other babies were sat in it at times. A few minutes so they could play with the baby gym from a different angle maybe or if a baby cried when laid flat by the staff it came into use then while staff did whatever it was they had to do.

I didnt think they looked uncomfortable at all :o

I agree! Our staff only use them occasionally but I have never seen an unhappy baby in one and, as Rea, says, they come in extremely handy when a baby doesn't like being laid flat but a member of staff simply HAS to put them down to attend to something else.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning !!

i was given a bumbo seat and have used it quite a lot with the two 6 month old s I care for .However the smaller one of the two is quite slender and agile!!! and he managed by leaning over the side (trying to reach a toy) to wriggle himself out and over and onto the floor !! he did nt come to any harm or hurt himself as I was there but just to warn you that if you think they ll securely hold a child in -they dont always!!!

I actually won one of these in a raffle years ago when my children were tiny, they absolutely hated it and would not sit in it. However when I put it on ebay I actually sold it for £24 couldn't believe it thought I'd be lucky to sell the thing at all!!!

Children are all so different though aren't they, aren't we all!!!

We have one in our nusery but we were advised by a health visitor to purchase one in order to support a childs devolopment as she was a premature baby . But othger than that it has hardly been used.

we don't use ours often at all. it was really handy to use with our one baby who liked to be held. we managed to slide her into the bumbo and she felt secure and safe until she realised she wasn't being held... we had to have a cuddle needless to say :-)

• 3 months later...

I attended a course on motor skills run by an Occupational Therapist a few months back and she was strongly against the use of Bumbos, as a lot of the time they are 'forcing' a young baby into positions they're not ready for, and they are better off building up strength in their back, by having tummy time for example.

Ive got one in the creche that I work and I find it very useful for short periods when I have got two babies and they are both wide awake and wanting attention

however I do have a u shaped baby cushion that I find equally good and can be used in more varied positions and with very different sized children plus the children can wriggle on and off the cushion as they develop mobility

I think in moderation the bumbos are a great "third hand" and a softer alternative to a high chair but I would agree I have concerns about young babies backs being sat in these seats for very long

I prefer the u shaped cushions for long term day to day use and galt used to do a dinosaur u shaped cushion which was great with lots on crinckly squeaky bits to poke and pull at.

I would have to have a gun held to my head before I even contemplated putting a child in one of these hideous contraptions. They stop children developing core stability and muscle development. Children spend too many hours (roughly 60 a year) in car seats and buggies that limit their movement. Infact I have close contact with a kinesiologist who works in nurseries and she has actually witnessed children losing muscle control in their legs due to thoughtless contraptions like these. Companies that make these things should be made accountable for the bad that they do!

I cannot express how pasionate I feel about this. It is vital that children of a young age can express and explore their reflexes and muscle development if we are to produce children who are physically ready to learn.

I should imagine most babies spend nearer to 60 hours a month in a car seat or buggy.

I guess that all things in moderation is the key. Giving a baby a different few of the world for a few minutes is going to support their development but I would worry about any setting using car seats or bumbo seats for long periods.

What works for one baby may not be right for another and these seats will suit some if used responsibly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)