Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ladybirds, Worms And Other Creepy Crawlies!

Hi everyone,

Our 'theme' for the next half term is 'minibeasts/growing'. We are considering having either ladybird larvae or a wormery in the classroom so the children can watch them grow (i'm slightly excited!!!! :o ).

Just wondered whether anyone has already had any living creatures such as ladybirds, caterpillars or worms in their setting? Wanting to know whether it was a success/what you would reccommend? xD

Tinky

Thanks Surfer. Was a little cautious about the caterpillars as our Key Stage one children had them last year and not one made it into a butterfly! :o

We had a wormery and an ant farm last year both with good results.The anntt we had, had an extention pot were you put the food and watched the ants transport it back to the farm down a tube We also had the jelly type ant farm that a child brought in but this was less successful.

Nobody loves me :(

Everybody hates me :( ( I sing these two lines with drama of sadness, really gets the childrens attention)

so I'm going down the garden to eat worms

Loooong slim slimy ones

short fat furry ones

ooey gooey ooey gooey worms

The looong slim slimy ones, slip down easily (head tilted back, pretend to put worm in mouth, then indicate with finger down neck/throat)

The short fat furry ones don't

The short fat furry ones stick to your teeth (point to teeth)

and the juice goes shloooop, down your throat (indicate throat with finger) end in a GULP. :o

Have fun xD

Peggy

Nobody loves me :(

Everybody hates me :( ( I sing these two lines with drama of sadness, really gets the childrens attention)

so I'm going down the garden to eat worms

Loooong slim slimy ones

short fat furry ones

ooey gooey ooey gooey worms

The looong slim slimy ones, slip down easily (head tilted back, pretend to put worm in mouth, then indicate with finger down neck/throat)

The short fat furry ones don't

The short fat furry ones stick to your teeth (point to teeth)

and the juice goes shloooop, down your throat (indicate throat with finger) end in a GULP. :o

Have fun xD

Peggy

Oh you bite off the heads and you suck out the juice and you throw the skins a wa a a ay

Nobody knows how I survive on a hundred worms a da a ay

We have had good success with the caterpillars and also with eggs hatching. We borrowed an incubator from the local filed study centre. We had ducks and chilcks hatch out and the children were very excited.

We also usually bring in some pussy willow before it gets to the furry stage and they think it is just a bit of dead wood. As the term goes on it blossoms and turns into leaves children are facinated.

We have a Giant Afican Land Snail - does this count?

I was fairly reluctant at first - but have to say he's lovely (well I think so) v. easy to look after - the children all help with this - i.e. tank cleaning, adding fresh compost, daily - he gets fresh cucumber, lettuce and needs a spray with tepid water.

We got him from a parent, her son had two adults (snails that is!) and he was one of their offspring.

Oh and children can take him home for the weekend - if parents are willing.

sunnyday

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)