Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Again!

Just survived my Ofsted inspection, had a really nice lady. But was somewhat surprised she really didn`t go through paper work, just asked if we had it. Asked loads of questions, spoke to staff and students and a few parents. had lots of positive comments which I was pleased with

Never asked about risk assessments , which I thought was a hot topic of theirs, just goes to show they are also different in their approach.

If you have an outside play area, make sure that the door is open all the time, ours was closed and so lost our outstanding on that point, because she couldn`t see the children go in and out although we did use the outside play area whilst she was there.

We came out with good, so I`m happy and just relieved that it is over with for another 3 years.

off to buy my team some bottles of wine to say thank you for their support and hard work, and maybe one for myself too.

/xx

Well done chocoholic 1507. :o

Definately get yourself a bottle, don't be so hard on yourself, how annoying about the outdoor access but appreciatte you sharing with us. So, everytime you have the door open you just know that you are OUTSTANDING. xD

Peggy

Well done chocoholic 1507. :o

Definately get yourself a bottle, don't be so hard on yourself, how annoying about the outdoor access but appreciatte you sharing with us. So, everytime you have the door open you just know that you are OUTSTANDING. xD

Peggy

Thanks for the support, only wish they would visit in the summer months, we can never get the children inside then!!!!

If you have an outside play area, make sure that the door is open all the time, ours was closed and so lost our outstanding on that point, because she couldn`t see the children go in and out although we did use the outside play area whilst she was there.

Congratulations, chocoholic1507!

I am led to wonder whether she would have given you outstanding if she had seen children going in and out, or whether it was just that the door was closed that she objected to? Would she have given you oustanding for the door being opened, even if no child actually changed their mind about being indoors or outdoors?

And for those of us who don't pay for our heating, I'm not sure our landlords would thank us for heating the garden in order to pursue an 'outstanding'. We don't have the door open all the time because our foyer is perishing for those sitting inside when it is open - and I wouldn't have any problem justifying this to Mrs Ofsted when she comes a'calling.

But this is all immaterial to you - you should be very proud and I hope you enjoy your celebrations.

Well done you!

Maz

well done - good work by all of you. we have the same problem with having open door access -the children inside say we're cold can they shut the door so we tend to have it ajar -does that count as open ? - we also cant afford for all our heating to go out the door!

congratulations anyway - great result

Well done ! Just goes to show how different Inspectors can be - ours spoke only too me and a new memeber of staff - didnt want to speak to parents or committee or any of the other staff! Risk assesment was a major thing she asked about - looked at a lot of papaerwork - recruitment procedures, risk asessments policies CRB checks - you name it. Outdoor play was a major topic - we are in a church hall and we take the children out but have the door shut . Very different indeed.

smiles

Congratulations, chocoholic1507!

I am led to wonder whether she would have given you outstanding if she had seen children going in and out, or whether it was just that the door was closed that she objected to? Would she have given you oustanding for the door being opened, even if no child actually changed their mind about being indoors or outdoors?

And for those of us who don't pay for our heating, I'm not sure our landlords would thank us for heating the garden in order to pursue an 'outstanding'. We don't have the door open all the time because our foyer is perishing for those sitting inside when it is open - and I wouldn't have any problem justifying this to Mrs Ofsted when she comes a'calling.

But this is all immaterial to you - you should be very proud and I hope you enjoy your celebrations.

Well done you!

Maz

I totally agree with you, we are in a portacabin on a school site and pay rent for heating etc, direct to school, I`m sure they would love to have additional heating costs to pay for! we have storage heaters so once the heat is gone thats it for the day. tried explaining this to Mrs Ofsted, but she said it wasn`t a good enough excuse. Think they just like to set their own rules.

However its all over , and I`m looking forward to half term, doing all next terms planning etc and trying to catch up with college work. Some half term this will be.

We recently had our ofsted inspection and I was really surprised at how short it was and was wondering if everyone recently inspected had found the same? The inspector arrived at 9.45 and by 11.45 she was giving me feedback. Have just received her report and thankfully we have been given 'good' for everything apart from one 'outstanding' but much of what we do wasn't really mentioned - has anyone else had the same experience?

We recently had our ofsted inspection and I was really surprised at how short it was and was wondering if everyone recently inspected had found the same? The inspector arrived at 9.45 and by 11.45 she was giving me feedback. Have just received her report and thankfully we have been given 'good' for everything apart from one 'outstanding' but much of what we do wasn't really mentioned - has anyone else had the same experience?

I'm the business manager for both a playgroup and a before and after school club/holiday playscheme (2 separate registrations - 2 sites) and we had Mrs O in the B&A club last month. Previous inspections have involved 2 inspectors visiting our holiday playscheme for a whole day, talking to staff, parents, children, looking at policies procedures - even the inside of the fridge and microwave :o .

However, this time it was one inspector who turned up at 3pm, spent some time having a cup of tea, talking to me and deputy supervisor (supervisor was on holiday - lucky thing xD ) about the number of children on roll, staff training, CP, recruitment, planning etc. She then looked around the setting, had a quick chat with the children whilst they were having snack time and a short conversation with a member of staff and before we knew it she was giving us feedback. She'd gone by 5pm, leaving us completely shell shocked. The report was much shorter then our previous one and didn't contain any detail about specific things she'd seen, even though she had raved about us having our own rooms and computer suite rather than having to use the school's.

It was a real shock having an inspection as we'd only been 'done' 20 months previously. It turned out that because we are on a school site we were being done the same week as the school - even though we are a committe run vol/comm organisation and don't come under the school's governing body.

In a way I was kicking myself because I'd known about the school's inspection for 3 days (including the weekend) and the school staff had been running around like blue bummed flys getting things 'right'. But I never thought that we would be inspected as we'd been told by our children's services that B&A clubs only get done with schools if they come under the control of governors, so I didn't do anything to get ready.

However, I'm pleased to say that we got all 'Goods', with the inspector saying that we only missed out on outstanding because we didn't have a written plan that linked our activities to the six areas of learning and the EYFS (don't get me started about having to provide the EYFS in a B&A club - it should never have been about a double curriculum offer :()

Meanwhile, the school has gone from good with areas of outstanding to satisfactory with one area of good (it would have been interesting to see what they would have got with no notice of the inspection like we have to accept). So I'm really proud to know the inspector saw us as we really are and we did so well. I put on a lovely lunch to thank my fantastic staff and we'll be having a party for the children in the summer term.

The one thing that pees me off though (other than school's getting notice and childcare settings not) is that we had to give a copy of the report to all parents (we've got around 150 children on roll) but the school has only given their parents the letter to the children so most of the parents haven't seen the full report unless they have bothered to ask for one or gone on the website. I feel so bad for the school as a whole but the weaknesses appear to have been hidden which is something that our settings simply couldn't get away with ( I must stop being so bitter :()