Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Access To Water?

Hi all

our last Ofsted report recommended that we improve the children's access to water. We ask parents (verbally and in our info booklet) to supply a sports bottle for their children but out of 20 only 3 have done so. We keep sending reminders in the newsletters but have decided that we are going to have to sort something out ourselves now to ensure the children get the access they need.

Would you all be kind enough to tell me what works for you - bottles, cups, jug?? Children are

2 1/2 to 5 years.

Thanks

RR

Up until recently we had a water dispenser like a mini water cooler - children were able to stick their cup under the tap, press the button and take as much water as they wanted. However it developed a permanent leak and so we're back now to a standard jug from which the children pour their own water as and when required. Mind you as soon as I see another in Argos I'll be buying a new dispenser - much easier to manage and fewer spills than the jug.

Our children are the same ages as yours!

Maz

Access to water all day. Jug with a lid and cups and bowls for fruit whihc the children wash up so the next person can use them, ofsted mentioned this in our report (as in that it was good!)

we're the same, we use a jug and cups however our children are mostly 2-3 year olds so we put the jug up out of reach when cafe is not supervised because the children pour too much if left unsupervised but OFSTED didnt approve and want the water at the childrens level for free access all session so we need to find a slow pouring jug

we tried a water dispenser (not the argos one) but the children managed to break it! their tiny little fingers managed to break the button it was a soft rubber button and the children pulled it off, so if your buying one check out the botton some are quite flimsy

I have seen a setting where each child had a small water bottle, the setting supplied them and they had the child's picture on them so they knew which one to use, have also seen the 'fruit shoot' bottles in different colours , washed out and filled with water, again with a picture on it for the individual children.. my thought was always how do you keep them clean and how ofen to sterilise them , but it worked for them.

Inge

I have seen a setting where each child had a small water bottle, the setting supplied them and they had the child's picture on them so they knew which one to use, have also seen the 'fruit shoot' bottles in different colours , washed out and filled with water, again with a picture on it for the individual children.. my thought was always how do you keep them clean and how ofen to sterilise them , but it worked for them.

Inge

Thanks everyone for your ideas. The water bottle idea was our initial thought but like you Inge I worried about keeping them clean.

RR

Our water dispensers were from Lidl. They are the camping sort with a button to press at the front. Children manage them quite well and the price was very reasonable - only about £5 I think. The disadvantage is, you can only get them when they're on special offer. We have 2 , one for indoors, one for outdoors. The children put their used cups in the red basket so we know which have been used. The clean ones are in the green basket.

Hi all

our last Ofsted report recommended that we improve the children's access to water. We ask parents (verbally and in our info booklet) to supply a sports bottle for their children but out of 20 only 3 have done so. We keep sending reminders in the newsletters but have decided that we are going to have to sort something out ourselves now to ensure the children get the access they need.

Would you all be kind enough to tell me what works for you - bottles, cups, jug?? Children are

2 1/2 to 5 years.

Thanks

RR

Hi all

2 1/2 to 5 years.

Thanks

RR

We put fresh water out daily and lots of disposable plastic cups, which the children can access. It seems to work ad they help themselves as and when. The reception class has bottles , but I have not tried that yet, may be in the future!!

I too had jug and water, like any 'new' skill there are a few spillages at first but the children do soon learn how to successfully pour their own. :o

My children have water bottles at school, they have to be transparent, so school can see that it's water and not any other drink inside. My only concern with water bottles (if they go home) is that they may not be refreshed. Imagine drinking water that's been in the bottle for a few days YUK.

Peggy

We have 3 water dispensers (one in each area) and plastic cups, children help themselves and put cups in sink for washing up when finished. To start with the novelty factor was high, but it soon wore off and now children only access it when they are thirsty!!

We had individual drinking bottles, but they got really yucky quickly so I through them all out last week ! We are now using plastic cups and jugs but the younger children are using them as an extention to water play so unsure whether to try a dispenser or just continue on until the novelty of the water jugs and cups wear off !

I do like the idea of the children washing and drying up their own cups, just got to think how we can do this within our setting. The children have no access to the kitchen area so I think it would have to be a bowl on the table and a draining rack.

We use the fruit shoot (clear) bottle method. Bottles are rinsed out each day and the lids put in a milton solution overnight. Bottles are named and picture added with permanent marker. Bottles are changed each term or before if they get scuzzy. I daren't use the jug and cup method, we have enough spillages at snack time when they are all sitting down. :o

For those who use the cup and jug system how does each child know which cup is theirs? We haven't got room for washing up in the hall.

Rachel

We use the fruit shoot (clear) bottle method. Bottles are rinsed out each day and the lids put in a milton solution overnight. Bottles are named and picture added with permanent marker. Bottles are changed each term or before if they get scuzzy. I daren't use the jug and cup method, we have enough spillages at snack time when they are all sitting down. :o

For those who use the cup and jug system how does each child know which cup is theirs? We haven't got room for washing up in the hall.

Rachel

They drop the cup into a bucket next to the table

If you don't mind a pink one they are on specail in Argos now. HERE

We've got this one - but in white. Children use it well, just the new one do love to have a 'little play' for a few sessions.

Ours has lasted well, but having said that I did get my hubby to make a base that it slots onto making it a lot more stable.

x

We use a Britax water dispenser with a pull down lever and plastic cups. The children can help themselves to a cup from the cupboard underneath and then put them into a washing up bowl afterwards. This is used at snack time too. We have water spilled on occasions but it's quickly mopped up.

Linda

Thanks everyone. It all seems so simple now but I'd got myself in a tangle about knowing which cups belonged to who (whom??), never thought to get them to use a new one each time - duh!!

I'll get some lidded jugs and nice new beakers during half term - thanks once again :o

Our children don't need to worry about which cup is their's as they wash their cup after each drink, to be honest the only seem to have a drink when they are having their fruit which is also accessible throughout. We are lucky that we have a sink in the room, it was a normal sink but I had it lowered so the children don't have to stand on anything to reach it. (we have to bend over to use it though!! we usually sit on chair if there is lots to do :oxD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)