Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Online Sef

I have just started to put our SEF online...and was wondering how long it should take me...yes I appreciate it depends on how quickly I can type and how much preparation I have done...

We have done the backbones as a team..in pencil on the paper form..so now I need to pick at each item , evaluate it and transfer the information onto the online format.

Work have agreed to pay me...but I dont know how much time I should spend on it..8 hours, 10 hours or more??

Has anyone out there already put the base down..?

Ofsted came in December so the heat is off for the moment...but really need your advice.x

The online sef I did for child minding took me 10 and a half hours from start to finish - that was with no notes etc.

I did the one for pre-school this week and it took me about 5 hours as we had discussed it between us all and made notes etc :)

Good luck

A tip from me is write it up in word or something similar first then copy and paste it :o

Hi

I have finished mine. What a relief!

I can`t say exactly how long it took. Filled it in online and had to do it a little at a time. I find big things like this are too mind boggling to keep going at for a long time. I just kept filling in a section, leaving it then comming back to it. It really takes a lot of thought and it took me a week or two doing it like this.

I had previously gone through it with staff for feedback but although I took that into account I had to put in the majority. Is it just me - but after doing 3 accreditation schemes and a SEF I really get to the stage where I just think - I do that but I am fed up of evidencing and proving it - ahhhhhh!

I sent mine by email and asked for confirmation that it had been received. After all that work I wanted some reassurance that it had been received and not just gone into an online black hole. Would hate Ofsted to turn up and say "we never got it" after all that hard work. Has anyone else submitted by email and recived confirmation? Another thing for my to do list I suppose.

My thoughts are with everyone who is currently battling with a SEF. We all deserve a medal for constantly jumping through the hoops set for us.

Sally

Hi there

My manager and I spent about 9 hours on the SEF online, in two sessions. Mainly so long because we did not do that much handwritten beforehand and also because we found the site clumsy and difficult to go back to previous boxes.

Last Monday our (new - fourth in as many visits) EY advisor came in to look at our SEF and give us some advice on completing it!!! She did not know we had already done it, but said we can update any time. She added some helpful hints on improving what we had done and was reasonably happy with our hard copy.

Just remember to look at print preview before submitting each page as we found although on screen the box seemed big enough to hold what we had written, once printed out most left off the last sentence or two!!!

Good luck

Lesley :o

Thanks ..am at least travelling up the right path!!

Can I ask why you suggest using 'word' then copy and paste?

I have just been saving it as I go along, then keep adding to it as I see fit...am I wrong ?

Thanks ..am at least travelling up the right path!!

Can I ask why you suggest using 'word' then copy and paste?

I have just been saving it as I go along, then keep adding to it as I see fit...am I wrong ?

no not wrong at all :o but I like to spell check mine etc, it's also easier just to save it in a document when you want to leave it then open the doc again rather than keep logging in to the actual sef each time :)

no not wrong at all xD but I like to spell check mine etc, it's also easier just to save it in a document when you want to leave it then open the doc again rather than keep logging in to the actual sef each time :)

And also it is a good idea to have a copy of your SEF in Word (backed up onto a memory stick) as a belt and braces measure. :o

Maz

Mrsbat, where did you get your lovely symbol form, its wonderful?

Sunshine :o

I was looking for a picture of some children holding hands for a news letter lol, I just googled "children holding hands clip art" I think :) (using google images)

Edited by mrsbat

submitted my first one online - phew! like others i did it in word first, redrafted, spell checked etc then cut and pasted it. it took about 12 hours altogether from start to submission but it's still a draft really.

I have just done a timesheet for SEF, here it is

Training - 2.5 hours (this was a training session the early years workforce development team ran)

Drafting - 7 hours (over 2 sessions)

Typing and submitting - 3 hours (haven't done this bit yet but this is how long I think it will take - but who knows!! :o )

Total of 12.5 hours!

Apparently it is not a 'requirement' but a 'reccommendation'.!!!!

Your Ofsted inspection (should )only include items which are in your 'areas for improvement' on your SEF..so if you submit it online, the inspector will read this before entering you setting..therefore reducing the time quizzing you and your staff!!

Quote " Inspectors will use the SEF as part of their preparation for your inspection"

I think the online version is just to be up to date really...there are no official reasons why we should do it online...its up to you at the moment but think they will require us to do this in the future.

We were given £200 funding to put it online...

Sorry if this does not help you.xxx

Its a good idea to do your SEF online if you can and if not, to send a copy once completed. Its gives inspectors an opportunity to read about your setting and how you see yourselves before they arrive.

I have also been told that if you can do it online the inspector will "freeze" the SEF a few days before any inspection so as to have the most up to date version when preparing for your inspection (apparently they do prepare!). If you are able to check it regularly this can give you an early warning on an inspection which may or may not be an good thing.

Hi

I have finished mine. What a relief!

I can`t say exactly how long it took. Filled it in online and had to do it a little at a time. I find big things like this are too mind boggling to keep going at for a long time. I just kept filling in a section, leaving it then comming back to it. It really takes a lot of thought and it took me a week or two doing it like this.

I had previously gone through it with staff for feedback but although I took that into account I had to put in the majority. Is it just me - but after doing 3 accreditation schemes and a SEF I really get to the stage where I just think - I do that but I am fed up of evidencing and proving it - ahhhhhh!

I sent mine by email and asked for confirmation that it had been received. After all that work I wanted some reassurance that it had been received and not just gone into an online black hole. Would hate Ofsted to turn up and say "we never got it" after all that hard work. Has anyone else submitted by email and recived confirmation? Another thing for my to do list I suppose.

My thoughts are with everyone who is currently battling with a SEF. We all deserve a medal for constantly jumping through the hoops set for us.

Sally

hi , i downloaded the form anf filled in on word- didnt know you could email it! where do we send it? was told by AT that could only send it if completed on line through the goverment gateway sit? agree its a nightmare to complete! all boxes too small and pages jumped all over! took about 3 weeks on and off to complete! staff not very forthcoming with input and after i had finished it i gave all a copy for additional comments and no one has even bothered to read it yet!!!

Been snowed off today ... took opportunity to upload all the bits of the SEF that I'd done (about 2/3 of it). Filled in something in all the boxes - was told by advisor to write ' due to be completed in ... ' in sections I haven't done yet. Imagine my joy when it uploaded beautifully this morning ... Imagine my horror when I tried to do some more to it this afternoon and I couldn't find how to access it ... thought it had frozen me out ... thought that meant Captain Ofsted had frozen it .... thought captain Ofsted were coming ... think we'll be shut tomorrow .... thought Captain Ofsted would be stuck on their own on our doorstep (he he) ... thought it was very very bad thing!!! Then managed to open it ... phew!

Nasty moment there

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)