Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Pay

I was wondering if anyone had an idea where I can find information on pay scales for Early Years staff?

We feel it is time for a review of our pay as there does not seem to be any incentive at the moment for staff to further their training.

As for me, personally, I currently have CCLD level 3 and am being asked to do level 4 with a view to becoming Manager of the setting as the current supervisor does not wish to do any further training.

Before I commit myself to anything I would like to know the average pay for a level 4 qualified practitioner.

Can anyone help please? :o

I will speak to our Early Years team - thanks.

Just thought there may be pay scales like teachers and nurses as I am sure someone mentioned 'grades' a while back.

Are there any level 4 practitioners who are willing to tell me their hourly rate - please?

I was wondering if anyone had an idea where I can find information on pay scales for Early Years staff?

We feel it is time for a review of our pay as there does not seem to be any incentive at the moment for staff to further their training.

As for me, personally, I currently have CCLD level 3 and am being asked to do level 4 with a view to becoming Manager of the setting as the current supervisor does not wish to do any further training.

Before I commit myself to anything I would like to know the average pay for a level 4 qualified practitioner.

Can anyone help please? :o

Is there one? when ever I ask my foundation consultant etc, thye say they can`t help. i think its a matter of paying what the setting can afford. Our policy is unqualified get minimum wage , then its goes up according to qualification. have to say all my level 3s are on £6.30 and then I get £8.30 to lead and mange. I`m always moaning that for the work we do its not enoughsince playgroup and committee settings are alwasy on less than those in maintained settings. We get 4.8 weeks hol pay and very little extra for things we do in our own time.

Payscales vary to where you live in the UK too.

Wish there was a proper payscale like teachers get.

Kyra

i get paid £8 an hour to manage and be in the ratios, so all paperwork is done at home in my own time, i'm level 4 qualified at the moment...and i don't get paid for the time i put in at home..... staff complain about doing keyworker stuff at home, i have 12 keyworker children as well as all the other paperwork.... oh dear!!! don't get me started, just feeling cheesed off as i'm sat here on a saturday doing pre-school paperwork....

You and me both - well, I'm meant to be - but once more my 'quick look at the forum' has sucked me in! As level 5 I get 8.25, my deputies get 7.50 and 7.25 (one has larger area of (responsibility) and assistant are just above NMW (level 2)

Very interesting to see what others are being paid.

I am currently deputy but am only paid extra for the time when I actually 'supervise' which is one day a week = for the rest of the time I am on the same wage as the level 2.

I agree that we are all expected to do way too much paperwork, mostly at home, with no extra pay.

I think we may need to have a proper look at our pay structure so that each level has a defined wage - I feel another battle with the committee coming on!!

Thank you for all the comments so far. :o

Hi

Well our suprvisor of the pre-school is on £7.50 p/h, deputy on £6.66 p/h and assistants on £6 p/h. Thee havent been reviewed or changed for at last 2 yrs...suprvisor did ak at last committe meet for pay rise only to be told that there is £1000 in the bank and they ar not sur that is going to cover this months wages :oxD:( :( As you can see things ar getting worse!

Hi

Well our suprvisor of the pre-school is on £7.50 p/h, deputy on £6.66 p/h and assistants on £6 p/h. Thee havent been reviewed or changed for at last 2 yrs...suprvisor did ak at last committe meet for pay rise only to be told that there is £1000 in the bank and they ar not sur that is going to cover this months wages :oxD:( :( As you can see things ar getting worse!

Might your EY team have sustainability grants which you can tap into? Your committee should have informed you when there was insufficient to sustain 3 months wages - as you need to take into account possible redundancy payments.

Might your EY team have sustainability grants which you can tap into? Your committee should have informed you when there was insufficient to sustain 3 months wages - as you need to take into account possible redundancy payments.

Hi Cait

Have jut sent email to EY enquiring about this grant but cannot find any reference to it for Nottinghamshire County at all!

I am waiting for the minutes of last committee meeting to get written proof of the financial situation. Did not know that we have to be informed about this! The situation is horrendous isnt it!

If anyone else can give me info/advice then will be appreciated. Once finding out about finances for sure should I get in touch with PLA too? This is something we have been asking comm to do for ages as they will be able to help them and advise them. As far as aware this has not been done. Thing is I dont want to get sack for intefering where I shouldnt be!

I really do not know what to do? Should I speak to another parent (not on committee but was on there a few years ago...her last child started last month and she attended last comm meeting and wasnt impressed!) or should I just "butt out"!! Not sure what to do

Need advice again please!! Sorry all I seem to do is moan about committee! :o

I get a good hourly rate but if you take into account the work I take home and do at the setting out of hours that is not paid for ...well.. it is not worth thinking about too much... :oxD:(

Edited by Guest

it really depends on the individual nursery we are a small private nursery and most L2 are on min wage room leaders on 6.00, deputy on 6.50 and as manager i get 8.50 (am working towards L4 and hope to get a rise when complete!) which is quite good for this area as i know other managers who get much less averaging arround 7 per hour.

hi i,m new to the forum , really enjoyed getting feed back from other people who work in the child care factor. just wondered if anyone could fill me in on the averge wage for someone who works in private nusery who,s just done nvq3 so is newly quliafied with little experince with working with babies/children .She feels she should be on more than £ 4.77 hr . Also if u work in private nusery what breaks are u allowed as at the moment she working 8am till 6 pm with only lunch break , many thanks .bubblebee3107 x

hi i,m new to the forum , really enjoyed getting feed back from other people who work in the child care factor. just wondered if anyone could fill me in on the averge wage for someone who works in private nusery who,s just done nvq3 so is newly quliafied with little experince with working with babies/children .She feels she should be on more than £ 4.77 hr . Also if u work in private nusery what breaks are u allowed as at the moment she working 8am till 6 pm with only lunch break , many thanks .bubblebee3107 x

I cant remember exact amount but I thought the minumum wage was £5 ?? per hour (unless you are under 21)

It doesn't matter where you work everyone is entitled to a break after four hours (dont think this has to be paid though)

Obviously salaries vary greatly between not only settings but various regions as well.

At present we are paying our L3's 8.26 L2 6.95 (but this difference is as much for experience as anything else) Deputy is 9.06

& manager 11.20, of course this is only for hours on contract not for actual hours worked if it was then it would probably be more like 2 per hour.

I cant remember exact amount but I thought the minumum wage was £5 ?? per hour (unless you are under 21)

It doesn't matter where you work everyone is entitled to a break after four hours (dont think this has to be paid though)

Obviously salaries vary greatly between not only settings but various regions as well.

At present we are paying our L3's 8.26 L2 6.95 (but this difference is as much for experience as anything else) Deputy is 9.06

& manager 11.20, of course this is only for hours on contract not for actual hours worked if it was then it would probably be more like 2 per hour.

Minimum wage is £5.52 per hour for over 21. Although if you are qualified and under 21 I don't think anyone should be working for less than that when thinking about the responsibility involved. You are entitled to a 20minute reak for every 6 hours worked (although this does not have to be paid) so your employers are not breaking the law by just offering a lunch break (if it is longer than 20mins).

I am an owner of a nursery (9.15-3.30pm) and all my staff get a 45minute paid lunch break.

Hi Daisydoo

Re: your minimum wage figures - I don't want to worry you but the current minimum for over 22 (not 21) is £5.73 - it went up last October. Other current rates are £4.77 for 18-21 yr olds inclusive, and £3.53 for u18's who are no longer of compulsory school age.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/ - this is the Revenue and customs link for confirmation.

Sorry, but I thought you, and everyone else on the forum should know the correct figures

SueT

Hi Daisydoo

Re: your minimum wage figures - I don't want to worry you but the current minimum for over 22 (not 21) is £5.73 - it went up last October. Other current rates are £4.77 for 18-21 yr olds inclusive, and £3.53 for u18's who are no longer of compulsory school age.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/ - this is the Revenue and customs link for confirmation.

Sorry, but I thought you, and everyone else on the forum should know the correct figures

SueT

Its also worth pointing out that statutory annual leave entitlement will increase from 4.8 weeks to 5.6 weeks

(capped at 28 days) on 1 April 2009. This amount is pro rata for part time employees.

Hi all

This is my first time on the site and I am a technophobe so not quick in making replies !! I have `surfed` the site for two hours and found it extremely interesting.

As an employer (in Kent) I agree with Sue T and the gruffalo replies in the current nat min wage is £5.73 and holidays are 4.8, increasing to 5.6wks(pro rata) in April 09. I am a small group with a mixture of 10 part/full time staff and have my own building with high running costs!!! With regards to pay, I work in the setting ( not in ratios) every day, am SENCO, Behaviour manager, maintain all aspects of admin etc, assist in planning and am on constant call if support is needed. Because of this I do not employ a manager but have two deputies on £7hr, qualified practitioners on £6hr, unqualified on £5.73 and a new 17 yr old recruit on £5. If they work 6hrs they get a 15 minute break and if they work 8hrs they get 30minute break, paid and where they go to a staff room undisturbed !! All staff are offered the chance of having an hour unpaid but decline. I also employ additional staff to make sure that every keyperson has an hour a week to go and maintain keyfolders (learning journeys) etc. Most keypeople have a maximum of ten keychildren each. I hope this helps with pay scales ???

I feel I am fair (but then I am the one paying the bills !!) and am very lucky because I have a GREAT TEAM of girls with me and we support each other.

• 1 month later...

as a 26 yr old qualified to level 3 in a private day nursery,I am getting £4.77 an hour.It's a sham copared to what we do.We are caring forchildren's needs full time.Ensuring they are happy and devlopieng their lerning needs.As well as planning,paper work,organisation,cleaning ensuring children are happy and safe but then again id rather be apid that for the job i do rather than work in a better job where i know i would be bored!!

as a 26 yr old qualified to level 3 in a private day nursery,I am getting £4.77 an hour.It's a sham copared to what we do.We are caring forchildren's needs full time.Ensuring they are happy and devlopieng their lerning needs.As well as planning,paper work,organisation,cleaning ensuring children are happy and safe but then again id rather be apid that for the job i do rather than work in a better job where i know i would be bored!!

this rate of pay is not in line with minimum wage..

.. from hrmc web site

What are the current rates of the national minimum wage?

There are three levels of minimum wage, and the rates from 1 October 2008 are:

£5.73 per hour for workers aged 22 years and older

A development rate of £4.77 per hour for workers aged 18-21 inclusive

£3.53 per hour for all workers under the age of 18, who are no longer of compulsory school age

Development Rate

The development rate for workers age 22 and over was abolished for pay reference periods starting on or after 1 October 2006. From that date, all workers aged 22 and over who qualify for the national minimum wage will be entitled to the main rate of national minimum wage. This applies even where the worker was previously in receipt of the development rate for those aged 22 and over and had been receiving that rate for less than 6 months.

must say our staff were getting the same rate depending on qualification and perience not age.. we never had anyone on that rate at all! and we had under 22 on the staff and training.

Inge

That is ILLEGAL!

.......... and easy to resolve

Pick up the phone and contact HMRC

They will investigate and deal with this without revealing it was you who complained

all they do is ask the employer to provide details of hours worked and monies paid by a random cross section of staff

Do it you know you're worth more!!

Tony

Im paid £6.68p/hr. I have NVQ level 3 and a degree (though not specifically early years), I am over 30, supervisor in committee run preschool, working in the ratios with 8 keyworker children, currently no breaks in our 7.5 hour day and all the paperwork to do at home.

Havent had a pay rise for two years while other staff (on min wage) get put up each october.

everyone is entitled to a 30 min break after 6 hours i think it is, ours get 30 mins pd lunch break after 3.5 hrs, all our staff get pd time in setting to keep assessment records up to date, ok only 1 hr a wk but if they would like to start work more than 15 mins before children arrive they'd get more time pd ! (another daft committee initiated idea ) they also get pd for all staff meetings and any training they go on.