Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessments For Outdoor Visits

has anyone begun putting together risk assessments for outdoor visits yet

how many have you got

what sort of outings

I've done a general park one but not sure if it's too detailed/not detailed enough

would anybody be happy to share what they do to see if i'm on the right lines?

Guest lucyevans
has anyone begun putting together risk assessments for outdoor visits yet

how many have you got

what sort of outings

I've done a general park one but not sure if it's too detailed/not detailed enough

would anybody be happy to share what they do to see if i'm on the right lines?

This is mine for parks. I have others for the library, pre-school pick-ups, walking to school, toddler groups, museums, farm visits, soft play centres, car travel, garden centres, shopping and swimming.

Lucy

LL_Risk_Assessment_PARKS___PLAYGROUNDS.doc

Wow - that sounds very organised, put's me to shame. :o

Thankyou so much for sharing an example, just about to start work but will have a look later

This is mine for parks. I have others for the library, pre-school pick-ups, walking to school, toddler groups, museums, farm visits, soft play centres, car travel, garden centres, shopping and swimming.

Lucy

Brilliant! You might want to change your spelling to 'dog fouling' unless you mean that the dogs are chasing chickens? hehe

I was also unsure about risk assessments for outings and have found the post from lucyevans very useful. Many thanks.

I am also glad that I'm not the only one wondering whether they are doing the right thing!

Looks very comprehensive to me Lucy!

Hi Lucy

Fantastic risk assessment form. Any chance you could post your others for us to see?

Can't believe Ofsted are making us do this. Would you leave your child with someone who

had to do a risk assessment before taking them out? You would hope that they were experienced

enough to know instinctively what to do. A friend of mine who has been Childminding for over

20 years has just had to get Parents permission to teach their children road safety!

The World has gone mad!

Laura

Hi everyone :o

This is my first post so I hope it works!!

Thank you for starting this post and thankyou for thoses of you who have shared examples of how you do yours. I had started mine for parks, toddler groups, school run and zoos but now seeing these think that Lucy's format seems alot easier to do, so think I might change mine and carry on with this layout. Thank you Lucy.

I agree though why don't OFSTED think we can use are commen sence like we do all the time anyway! As if we don't have anything better to do than write risk assesments!!

welcome to the forum velvet

and thank you everyone for responses, I've adjusted my proforma to yours Lucy as I love the section where you include how to support the children in managing risk. Mine originally had columns to assess whether the risk was high/medium/low - after seeing eg.s at training - but i struggled with this part so after seeing yours I've taken it out.

I've attached my risk assessment for car journeys - can anybody think of any risks I've missed?

risk_assessment___car_journey.doc

I've also got on my car journey risk assessmet the following

Hot Weather Sun burn/Dehydration

Have sun shades in car, children wear hats, apply sun cream before journey, children have water available to them (especially on longer journeys) and windows slightly open or air conditioning on

Car breaking down Children being distressed/late back

To keep my road recovery service renewed. Keep children calm/distract them Contact children's parents if going to be late back for them to collect

Think I'm on the right track !!

Just wanted to check what everyone else was doing with things like toddler groups/ childminding groups. How I had done mine before I grouped them together but now I'm transfering them to a form like Lucy's I think I should I have a seperate risk assessment for each one I attend (they are at different venues).

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a general outings risk assessment which I can fill in for each place I visit. I joined the fsf today so hopefully I have attached it properly. Included on there are also standard risk assessments for the car, walking and so on. I hope you find it useful.

Outings_Risk_Assessment.doc

Hi,

I have a general outings risk assessment which I can fill in for each place I visit. I joined the fsf today so hopefully I have attached it properly. Included on there are also standard risk assessments for the car, walking and so on. I hope you find it useful.

hi, just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say thanks for posting your risk assessmnent doc for us to share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'n new on the forum - my 1st post! Ive tried to download Lucys risk assessment form but it won't open - any chance of popping it on again? sorry to be a pain but after everyones comments it sounds like it'd be really useful - had ofsted yesterday and this was one thing she did pick up on..... thought i'd got it all covered but not in enough detail apparently!! Cheers : :o

RISK ASSESSMENT

PARKS / PLAYGROUNDS

Area of Potential Hazard

Risks

How can risk be controlled?

How can children be involved in controlling the risk?

Crowded play area

Losing sight of children

Children can wear hi-visibility waistcoats

Use age-appropriate language to talk about staying close to me / stranger danger

Hot weather

Sun burn

Dehydration

Apply sun cream, wear a hat

Take drinking water with us

Talk about the dangers of the sun & needing water

Slippery equipment

Children falling on slippery equipment e.g. wooden beams

Avoid if very slippery, or hold child’s hand across beams

Explain how rain has made the equipment slippery so we need to take extra care

Muddy surfaces

Slipping

Dirt on hands / face

Avoid very muddy areas

Wearing all-in-one suits

Toddlers wearing reins / holding hands

Explain how rain has made the ground slippery so we need to take extra care

Play equipment

Falls, minor or major injury

Ensure equipment is suitable for age and capabilities of child

Vigilance

Close supervision to ensure child does not walk in front of swings

Explain that they need to be careful when climbing high

Alert children to the dangers

Discarded glass, cans, needles, rubbish

Minor or major injuries, infection, drinking discarded alcohol

Vigilance

Explain that children must not touch anything that should not be there

Wash hands thoroughly if children do touch anything

Dog fowling

Touching or falling in

Avoid walking on grass verges

Check play area for mess

Children are advised not to touch any dog mess on pavements. Wash hands thoroughly if they do come in contact with mess

Dogs

Bites

Avoid close contact with any dogs

Children are advised not to stroke dogs whilst out

Water (Pond/ lake)

Drowning

Falling in

Very close supervision. Use reins or keep very young children in pushchair

Talk about water safety. Read Water Safety book before visit

Hope this helps! The file is a Word document so if you don't have Word you won't be able to open it. Welcome to the forum! :o

Hi, I'n new on the forum - my 1st post! Ive tried to download Lucys risk assessment form but it won't open - any chance of popping it on again? sorry to be a pain but after everyones comments it sounds like it'd be really useful - had ofsted yesterday and this was one thing she did pick up on..... thought i'd got it all covered but not in enough detail apparently!! Cheers : :o

Try this hope it works as its great. Thing to remeber i think with these is we do the same anytime we visit so one chart covers all visits to parks etc or its endless tick charts that are a pain to be honest ( too much unnecessary work and paper waste and storage etc)

Lucys_risk_assessment.doc

Hi, all your risk assessments look great. I am having a whole 'risk ass' day (sorry!) as no children today. Does anyone know if we are supposed to have a seperate one for toys?

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi, all your risk assessments look great. I am having a whole 'risk ass' day (sorry!) as no children today. Does anyone know if we are supposed to have a seperate one for toys?

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi Dawn, A warm welcome to the forum.

Do you think you need a seperate risk assessment for toys? The reason I ask is that I personally feel that it is more productive to produce 'documents' because they enable you, the setting to meet the welfare (in the case of risk assessments) requirements, and not produced because "you think you are supposed to". Sorry this may not help but I hope it enables a sense that the 'power' is in your hands, to decide what is needed.

This decision will be unique to your setting, do you think it would be productive for your setting to have all the staff to complete a risk assessment for each type of toy, ie: constructive resources, art/creative resources, Play office resources (ie: staplers, nibbed fountain pens etc etc). You may feel that this 'task' would enable staff to develop critical thinking skills and help them to further understand how the EYFS welfare requirements re: safety are implimented in practice.

On the other hand, you may feel that to get your staff to do this would be a bit condescending if they are really experienced and have a grounded knowledge of H&S issues, welfare requirements etc. You may decide that a paragraph within an Environment Risk Assessment could cover Toys/resources adequately.

So, as you see, it's up to you. :o

As you are new, you wouldn't know that I am reknowned for 'long responses' for what could be said in a few sentences, it's just my way. :( I am sure others will be along with possibly some examples of their toy risk assessments, or more succinct advice. xD

Peggy

I personally will not be writing a risk assessment for toys. I'm not even convinced that the written assessments I'm doing for outings have enabled me to meet the welfare requirements more than I am already. There has not been one risk assessment that i have laboriously written that has made me think i hadn't thought of and addressed that risk already.

to return to your point about toys though I feel that this is covered in your daily visual checks and i also do a 6 mthly risk assessment for my whole house and garden which is required by the network i belong to.

hope that helps

Have we got a risk assessment for risk assessments yet?.......

lack of time to play with children, loss of sense of humour, common sense bypass, R.S.I xD

or is it just me? :o

Nona

Hi, thanks everyone for your advice. I'm a registered childminder and have so many people telling me one thing, then someone else telling me another!

I have included toys in my 6monthly assessment and obviously do a daily visual check, so my common sense says that's enough!

Thanks for the welcome comments too. :o

Bye for now,

Dawn

ok! one of you said swimming back there....

I'm planning on introducing swimming on a regular basis but never done it with nursery children (birth to 4yrs) and was just wondering if any of you do it and if you do any tips or words of advice other than "ha ha ha ha! you are finally going too far!" which is what an ex colleague of mine did!

so, come on then spill, who does and what are your top tips???

Lucy

Thank you so much for sharing this risk assessment, I found it very useful. Does anyone else have any they would be willing to share with me, as I am totally lost on this area. :o

Hi ZLW

I used to take 2 under 4's swimming once a month for nearly a year. They were only 8 weeks apart in age so about the same developmentally.

I used to get them ang me changed at home so all we had to do was undress when we got there. They were both in arm armbands and at our pool I was only able to go at certain times with 2 children in my care and the deep section of the pool was out of bounds to us (as I had 2) it was always rather quiet and we all really enjoyed it, the pool had floats and balls for us to play with at these sessions.

Getting out of the pool sometimes used to be a bit stressfull both saying they are cold and shivering so try to get the dressed as quickly as you can. I also found taling about what they wanted to o whe we gt back or giving them a cracker or bannana whilst drying one and the other was wrapped up waiting used to ease the stress!!

I hope you all enjoy it, I'm sure you will- I had to stop unfortunatly as I had new children come to me and never had a free morning with just 2 children so I could go. I do now but unfortunatly one of my Mums is very protective and doesn't want me to take them swimming unless it's on a 1-1 ratio.

Let us know how you get on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)