Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Risk Assessments For Outdoor Visits

Thank you everyone for those Risk Assessment examples.

I am ok with these things if I see them in different formats and can then work out how to do my own.

x

• 1 year later...

How cool is this? My job this weekend is to update my risk assessment and I pop on here to have a quick look and you're all chatting about it!

One thing my inspector made a point of telling me last time is that they are interested to see risk assessments on how we get to and from outings and I can see that a lot of you have already done this.

I am of the opinion that it sometimes doesn't really matter what or how you risk assess and that the big O just want to see that you're doing something. I kept mine really simple and after looking at all yours I missed tonnes but I still got an outstanding in this area............wouldn't it be lovely to know how there brains tick?

I feel that risk assessments are not really designed for 'one man shows' like us. My husband is in charge of it at work (hotel) and as he explained to me the whole point of it is to get everyone singing from the same song sheet and to teach all the new members of staff how the hotel control risk. But as we work on our own (on the whole) I believe that we can, and do, do it in our heads every minute of everyday. My whole world doesn't fall apart if I get to the park and find that the fence is broken, it isn't on my risk assessment so technically my brain should malfuction and sparks should come out of my ears!!!!!!! but no I just make adjustments in the level of supervision I give and all is well! Daft isn't it!

xxx Marie

Guest jenpercy

On the level of getting the staff to all work toogether over risk - you would not believe some of the things that past members of staff have done - and I certainly could not have predicted them.

How about agreeing to collect a 9 year old from school who had injured his ankle - instead of saying to the school - we can't walk him - ring parents. They then borrowed a bike from a parent and pushed the child on a 15 minute walk, all without alerting me who wqas waiting with my lot at the other end.

When they arrived the staff who was pusing complained that the other girl had refused to help.

I replied "she was quite right not to - you shouldn't have done it at all, it's not safe and you are pregnant!!

I then had to put something in school collection policy (before the days of the ubiquitous risk assessment stating specifically what to do if a child couldn't walk when we arrived to pick them up.

I bet none of you have risk assessed for that one!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for sharing your risk assessments, it has really helped me while evaluating mine.

I risk assess each individual child also, ie weight height (for car seat, buggy etc), whether they use reins at home, hands, are able to walk etc.

I also have a note book which I carry along to groups, parks so that say for instance the park on a Tues is dirty as rubbish not collected til Wed then I know not to visit that park on a Tues. Also for family centre for instance on Mon very crowded which is not advantageous to child I care for that day.

These are all then saved for my reference when planning etc and on occasion while planning I review them.

I also have a lovely child freindly risk assessment which is hopefully attached (if all goes well)

childrens_risk_assessment_sparkleboxs.pdf

child_friendly_risk_assessment.pdf

Edited by Guest

our borough is encouraging benefit/risk assessments....in other words if the benefit outweighs the risk then do it! so one for swimming for instance would ask why you are doing it and who else did it before you,what are the benefits to the child in their development. These are based on what they do for older children going on really dangerous trips like up mount everest (makes a trip to the park sound less dangerous doesn't it! the trainer also emphasised that you will never be able to risk assess for all events so the emphasis is more on general risks or for specific children if they have difficulties/behaviour problems etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)