Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Am Completely Inspired!

Hi everyone

I just have to share with you this amazing document that I have read. It's called communication friendly spaces (you can find the video on teacher's TV, well worth a view).

It's all about decluttering your classroom and keeping the colours neutral - a complete contradiction to mine and, indeed many classrooms. The idea being that children are more focussed and relaxed in this type of environment. I kind of relate this to my shopping habits! I hate shopping in places that are busy and rammed like TKMaxx but I love going into shops like Karen Millen where everything is orderly and colour coded and stress free (Not that I actually like buying anything from there).

Anyway the outcome of reading this brill document and watching this fab video is that I have really put some thought into rethinking my whole idea of what a reception class should look like.

My display boards are now all a neutral colour and my classroom is clutter free - well as much a a classroom can be.

If you have time have a look at this video it's a real debate starter!

My classroom should also be "neutralised" :o when I return (I'm not holding my breath as the decorators hadn't started last week)One of the schools featured in the video is about a mile from mine so our stagg have been for a look around. I also went to Paddy Beale's nursery last term and felt really inspired.

That must have been a great visit to Wingate. Durham LEA seem to be very proactive in Early years, their website is really informative and also you get the chance to go and visit a great nursery like that.

Paddy Beales is just the best. I was totally inspired by her and really wish I could visit Wingate, you are so lucky Marion. She is also a really lovely person, but then of course she is Early Years. :o

When I last worked in a school nursery I had a bland pastel coloured co-ordinated looking environment and it really was lovley to work in. We still had displays, but they were quiet and smallish, reflecting ongoing activities. One wall was a learning wall and another was one where the children chose to place their own creative work. It took a lot of pressure off the staff as well.

maybe that explains why I prefer 'natural' light wood compared to bright primary colour plastic. :oxD

Thanks for letting us know about this inspirational peson and the Teachers TV video. :(

Peggy

Paddy Beales is just the best. I was totally inspired by her and really wish I could visit Wingate, you are so lucky Marion. She is also a really lovely person, but then of course she is Early Years. :o

When I last worked in a school nursery I had a bland pastel coloured co-ordinated looking environment and it really was lovley to work in. We still had displays, but they were quiet and smallish, reflecting ongoing activities. One wall was a learning wall and another was one where the children chose to place their own creative work. It took a lot of pressure off the staff as well.

Paddy's centre is 15 mins up the oad from my school, one of our NNEBs children actually attend, but I hadn't been since the school was rebuilt totally to her specifications. Catherine's school which features in the Teacher's TV video is within walking distance so lots of inspiration.

Edited by Marion

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Hi everyone

I just have to share with you this amazing document that I have read. It's called communication friendly spaces (you can find the video on teacher's TV, well worth a view).

It's all about decluttering your classroom and keeping the colours neutral - a complete contradiction to mine and, indeed many classrooms. The idea being that children are more focussed and relaxed in this type of environment. I kind of relate this to my shopping habits! I hate shopping in places that are busy and rammed like TKMaxx but I love going into shops like Karen Millen where everything is orderly and colour coded and stress free (Not that I actually like buying anything from there).

Anyway the outcome of reading this brill document and watching this fab video is that I have really put some thought into rethinking my whole idea of what a reception class should look like.

My display boards are now all a neutral colour and my classroom is clutter free - well as much a a classroom can be.

If you have time have a look at this video it's a real debate starter!

Hi Rufus, i have recently completed 2 days training for communication friendly spaces, it was superb!!! my pre school is part of a pilot scheme in the wirral for ECaT (every child a talker) it runs alongside CMF, we are gradually changing our setting into a calm inviting environment, with lots of spaces, dens and offering the children lots of opportunities to explore and communicate! sign up to Elizabeth Jarmen website she is the creator of CFS and you will get regular updates etc :o

Where is the document and video mentioned in the first post? I know this was posted a while ago but I can't see a link and I don't think my searches are turning up the right things. Thanks.

Where is the document and video mentioned in the first post?

Here's the link to the CFS video on Teachers TV!

And here's the link to the publications page of Elizabeth Jarman's online store where you can buy a copy of the CFS toolkit.

Maz

Thanks! I was thinking there was some sort of online document about it so no wonder I couldn't find anything. Going to watch the video whilst eating my lunch I think!

• 3 months later...

completely agree Maz, so simple but effective-I have just bought the book and can't wait to try out some ideas from the book. Its great to see packaway settings recognised as so very unique but at the same time supported practically.

Would love to go on some EJ training but will stick to the LA free ECaT in October!

ECERS also recognises the importance of having private play spaces for children to play uninterrupted, have been looking through the booklet as research for my dissertation and has really made me reflect on my setting and what/how we provide all the aspects of ey practice

WE were lucky enough to have Elizabeh Jarman and other excellent speakers at our Early Years Conference in March, my setting always use the day as one of our INSETS and it is a whole team day. We were really inspired by what we learned and the space is changing daily into a much more nuetral and calm one with the whole team on board. We have also just been chosen to be a pilot setting for the third wave of ECAT so it's lovely the way this is all fitting together . :o

• 3 months later...

Thank you for sharing the Teachers' TV video. I just watched it myself and I'm also feeling inspired! I completely see the logic behind the approach, and I'm looking forward to trying to implement some of the guidance in my own classroom :o

I'm looking forward to trying to implement some of the guidance in my own classroom :o

Have a look at the photographs in the gallery here of the CFS conference last year for some more inspiration.

Maz

Hey - I watched this last night. Very interesting. I've always made sure that I use as much green and yellow (green = creativity and yellow = happiness) and have an area that is blueish and quieter (calming - often with fairy lights and voiles etc). I try to keep things to refer to (number lines, phonics, reading strategies etc) at child height and display chn's work towards the back of a class with the front as clutter-free as possible. This video really opened my eyes tho and has made me reflect even more on the set-up of the classes in my setting. Although quite minimal compared to many schools (I think things hanging from every part of the ceiling is very distracting) we certainly have more than the example classrooms in the clip. Our furniture is predominantly primary coloured and although I'm lucky having green tables and chairs, one of the classes has red tables and blue chairs - which I know is distracting for me. Am going to share parts of this clip at a meeting early in the term with staff and come to some agreement. For me, the classes with lots of plain wood and natural materials did seem a bit too much the other way ... lots to think about I guess. Would be really interesting to see the real impact a change has made to schools. I don't have £26,000 to change all of our coloured furniture straight away, but I will think about cheaper ways of changing the environment with baskets rather than coloured plastic and natural materials as much as possible.

Fluffy Lamb

I was lucky enough to attend an Elizabeth Jarman conference this year & was very inspired. However as a packaway setting without a lot of spare money we have found it very hard to implement when all existing furniture, covers etc are bright coloured. I try to keep our small back room neutral so that one area is & introduce wicker baskets etc bit by bit. I have also changed our display board to neutral colours & materials & introduced a quiet tent for children to retreat to if needed. After having read these posts I think i will buy the book for packaway settings & look for more inspiration!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)