Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Planning

Hello Everyone

Hope you are all having some rest during the hols. Had two weeks away and now getting into "panic with the paperwork" mode!!!!!!!!

I love this site and get so much help and support by reading eveyones thoughts, ideas, advice etc. At the moment am trying to reorganise my continuous provision sheets in light of the new EYFS and seem to be going round in circles, and not sure if I am on the right lines.

Have pinched the brilliant ideas from the clever people on the forum, got info from local courses and then added my own bits.

Think I have attached one to share???????? and would really, really be grateful for peoples honest opinions of it - before I go ahead and change, update the rest. Is it ok? Do bits read ok? How can I make it better?

Or should I just scrap it and try and find a job in the local supermarket!!!!!!!!

Thanks in anticipation of someones help and advice.

Oh ps forgot to say I work in a special school for children with complex physical, medical and learning needs, so we operate at the earlier end of the developmental matters

Ta

dough_cont_prov.doc

I have downloaded it and visually it looks really good!! I havn't had the chance to read all the beautifully laid-out boxes yet, but I will print it, read it and get back to you!!! As I say it is an excellant lay-out. Didn't want to download and run!!

Forgot to say thanks for sharing!!! Sorry! :o

I have downloaded it and visually it looks really good!! I havn't had the chance to read all the beautifully laid-out boxes yet, but I will print it, read it and get back to you!!! As I say it is an excellant lay-out. Didn't want to download and run!!

Forgot to say thanks for sharing!!! Sorry! :o

Thank you so much Shiny would really appreciate your comments and anyone elses please. Am not afraid at all off being told if I have got things wrong, or in a muddle. Just want to get things right for my little ones and def missed the queue when self confidence was given out!!!!!!!

Just off now for a walk on the moors with my two dogs, which will hopefully clear my brain!!!!!!

Thanks again

x

Hi BevL,

I'm not familiar with the EYFS content, but I love the layout and headings, I like the way you've formed questions for the practitioners to think about using whilst interacting with the children. My only addage would be Are the children allowed to take playdough to different areas of the room ie: to the role play area, outdoors etc? and possibly some examples of 'open questions', obviously keeping in mind the level of ability.

Thanks for sharing, and now you know how to upload a document, please consider placing this sheet in the resource library (credit to you), it will then be easier for members to access at a later date. :o

Peggy

Hi BevL,

I'm not familiar with the EYFS content, but I love the layout and headings, I like the way you've formed questions for the practitioners to think about using whilst interacting with the children. My only addage would be Are the children allowed to take playdough to different areas of the room ie: to the role play area, outdoors etc? and possibly some examples of 'open questions', obviously keeping in mind the level of ability.

Thanks for sharing, and now you know how to upload a document, please consider placing this sheet in the resource library (credit to you), it will then be easier for members to access at a later date. :o

Peggy

Thank you so much Peggy for your reply will take your comments on board. Will happily share anything I do or use, but am always sure it won't be much good !!!!!! Miss Confidence here!!!

On to water play and ICT now, then may try role play!!!!! Think I am in for a busy Sat afternoon. xD

Thanks again

x

Hiya BevL

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you I am just getting into panic mode too! You start off the holidays thinking you have loads of time and then it slips away!

Working myself with children from SLD to PMLD your sheet is great and so appropriate for our children. I liked the resource organisation box. It has given me heaps of food for thought for my continuous provision sheets and I would really appreciate seeing your other sheets. I feel so motivated now to get into action. I

In general how are you planning for continuous provision and child initiated learning as it isn't an easy approach with our children is it? In my classroom it is so difficult to have set out the usual resources like water, sand, playdough etc as I don't have a wet area. I don't have any open shelving and I just don't think that the current children I have would cope with access to everything with only two of us to supervise them. One of my little boys needs to be suited and booted in waterproofs xD just to play in the water because he gets soaked!!! Then there is the little one that eats the dough or sticks it in his ears!!!However at the same time I am keen for them to have as many experiences as possible so wondered how other people in special schools got around it or are my little people very special??? :o

Will happily share anything I do or use, but am always sure it won't be much good

I know how you feel, Bev but I must tell you to stop worrying on that score! Apart from anything else, remember that whatever planning format you design only needs to work for you and your setting!

Your plan is detailed, thoughtful and well presented and seems to me to explain the theory behind what you plan and why - absoutely fantastic!

Since you are looking for feedback the only thing I could suggest to make it more "Ofsted friendly" would be to use the four principles of the EYFS as headings. You have covered all the bases, but if you used the four principles you'd really be saying to Mrs Ofsted "hey! look! I really know what I'm doing!" xD

Well done you - now you've got the format sorted its just a matter of filling it in for all the other areas! :o

Maz

Bev, that looks fantastic, I think your headings are spot on! Thanks for sharing! :o

Thank you for your kind replies, the confidence is growing a bit. Will now pass on a job at the supermarket I think. Told you it was a brilliant site. Always helps me tremendously, as sometimes can feel quite isolated.

In my class this year I will have 12 children (all with SLD, PMLD) and 4 TA's who are wonderful. We have the class set up in the different areas as in mainstream, but probably not as much on the shelves. (try and have some resources that children can access indep, but as anyone who works with very special little ones know - they often access them to eat them, or get up to some mischief with!!!!!!)

We do simple topics and add enhancements each time, but often repeat and reinforce very simple skills to develop confidence and self esteem, as opposed to making great strides forward. We also go off the childrens interests which we discover from observation, or which parents share.

Though I grumble about the paperwork, I couldn't have a better and more worthwhile job, and the special WOW moments we share with our little ones are priceless!!!!!

Will happily share the rest of the continuous provision with anyone if it is of use

Thank you again for the support

x

PS Just need to train my two dogs to laminate symbols, make rhyme boards and cut out now and I would be on a winner. Meanwhile they sleep, eat and walk - what a stress free life eh?

I know how you feel, Bev but I must tell you to stop worrying on that score! Apart from anything else, remember that whatever planning format you design only needs to work for you and your setting!

Your plan is detailed, thoughtful and well presented and seems to me to explain the theory behind what you plan and why - absoutely fantastic!

Since you are looking for feedback the only thing I could suggest to make it more "Ofsted friendly" would be to use the four principles of the EYFS as headings. You have covered all the bases, but if you used the four principles you'd really be saying to Mrs Ofsted "hey! look! I really know what I'm doing!" xD

Well done you - now you've got the format sorted its just a matter of filling it in for all the other areas! :o

Maz

Thank you Maz - sorry to be thick but which bit would be the 4 principles????? Thanks

Hello Everyone

Hope you are all having some rest during the hols. Had two weeks away and now getting into "panic with the paperwork" mode!!!!!!!!

I love this site and get so much help and support by reading eveyones thoughts, ideas, advice etc. At the moment am trying to reorganise my continuous provision sheets in light of the new EYFS and seem to be going round in circles, and not sure if I am on the right lines.

Have pinched the brilliant ideas from the clever people on the forum, got info from local courses and then added my own bits.

Think I have attached one to share???????? and would really, really be grateful for peoples honest opinions of it - before I go ahead and change, update the rest. Is it ok? Do bits read ok? How can I make it better?

Or should I just scrap it and try and find a job in the local supermarket!!!!!!!!

Thanks in anticipation of someones help and advice.

Oh ps forgot to say I work in a special school for children with complex physical, medical and learning needs, so we operate at the earlier end of the developmental matters

Ta

Hi,

It looks great to me and I look forward to seeing your other continuous provision sheets. It can be so isolating sometimes being the only Early Years Teacher in a single form primary school so really appreciate any planning ideas that you feel able to share. I am rethinking all my planning for September and am going to be working on it later this week so will see how I get on.

Take care and enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Nicky

A unique child

Positive relationships

Enabling environments

Learning and development

Sorry, yes I know these are the 4 principles but not sure where to put the headings in my planning if you know what I mean. Would they go under the dev matters box or somewhere else????? Been working for several hours so getting fuzzy headed!!!!!!!

Guess time to wake up the two sleeping dogs and get a bit of fresh air!

Thanks so much to everyone for comments, help and suggestions - I feel much better now about moving on with things........... I think!!!!!

x :o

A unique child

Positive relationships

Enabling environments

Learning and development

But having thought about it, I think your headings do make clear links between what they do and the EYFS. Using the four principles might confuse things!

Maz

But having thought about it, I think your headings do make clear links between what they do and the EYFS. Using the four principles might confuse things!

Maz

Thanks Maz onto water play next!!!!!!!!!!

Just wanted to say what you have done looks fantastic and is certainly making me think about how I will plan for cp.

Thanks for sharing - what other areas are you going to do?

Just wanted to say what you have done looks fantastic and is certainly making me think about how I will plan for cp.

Thanks for sharing - what other areas are you going to do?

Hi Sausages

What a brill screen name.

Hope to do - water, sand, construction, outdoor, sensory den, physical, ICT, craft, maths, mark making, role play, music, snacks, book area - errrrr and any I have forgotten. Hopefully now I feel a bit happier with the format, and all the wonderful folk on the forum have given me the confidence to move on, they won't take me quite as long as the first one!!!!!!!!Otherwise they will be done by Jan 2010 or there abouts. Mind you had fun getting the boxes sorted, then they kept jumping about!!!!!!! Oh to be a computer whizz!!!!!

Onto water play now - STILL!!!!!!!!

x

Just another thought - I have a few new members of staff who are not very experienced and so under 'Development Matters' I would put in the area of learning each statement comes from. Probably not so necessary in your environment, but anything that can help my staff continue to make these links... :o

Maz

Your plan is really good and will be very helpful to everyone, as they are all in the same boat as you, updating to fit in with the EYFS. If you take on board some of the recommendations just remember not to make it over complicated, but simple and straight forward for everyone to read and understand. A few plans I have seen have had so much content that no-one would bother to read it all. I would just alter the order of words in the following section so that similar things are together as I have done here.

Squeezing

Prodding

Poking

Pressing

Rolling

Grasping

Squashing

Smelling

Mark making

Making patterns

Modelling

1-1 correspondence

Counting

Extending imaginative play

Tidying up and caring for resources

You might also want to mention somewhere about using different types of flours, adding items to create different textures etc.

Best of luck with the rest as it is a marathon task. :o

Your plan is really good and will be very helpful to everyone, as they are all in the same boat as you, updating to fit in with the EYFS. If you take on board some of the recommendations just remember not to make it over complicated, but simple and straight forward for everyone to read and understand. A few plans I have seen have had so much content that no-one would bother to read it all. I would just alter the order of words in the following section so that similar things are together as I have done here.

Squeezing

Prodding

Poking

Pressing

Rolling

Grasping

Squashing

Smelling

Mark making

Making patterns

Modelling

1-1 correspondence

Counting

Extending imaginative play

Tidying up and caring for resources

You might also want to mention somewhere about using different types of flours, adding items to create different textures etc.

Best of luck with the rest as it is a marathon task. :o

Thank you so much Jaquie- will print off everyones suggestions and tackle the task

Thanks for replying

x

I think your sheet is fantastic and others have offered soem very wise words too!

If you ever feel like sharing any more they would be gratefully recieved!

Wow! I can't believe how much work I have to do!!! This site is great because it does give you lots of ideas. (but also scares you silly, as you realise there is more to do...hehe) I really like your provision sheet Bev L. I'm now unsure if I need these too!

Isn't it mad, you think you have your head around something, then you realise there is something else to think about!!! Oh my no!! The holiday goes far too quickly! Good Luck with the rest of your work!

Can I ask do people laminate their continuous provision plans and have them on display in the classroom? I would like to do this but there isn't room in every area.

Sausages we do have the continuous provision info in the athe areas as this helps the parents, students and staff to know what we are hoping to achive in each area.

BevL I love the provison layout it has know made me think about all the things i still need to do before september. Oh dear I will not have much of a holiday away it looks like the lap top and lamitaor will be joining me

Can I ask do people laminate their continuous provision plans and have them on display in the classroom? I would like to do this but there isn't room in every area.

I used to use A4 clear perspex menu holders to put mine on display where I didn't have enough wall / unit side spaces. :o They are also good because they can be moved around the room, or even to the outdoors.

You can buy them from HERE

Peggy

Great idea Peggy, shame they want 12.00 delivery. I am going into school tomorrow so will see where I can display them.

:o Shows how important it is to research suppliers eh? I bought mine from VIKING suppliers but remember they were about £8 each, whilst looking for a link to VIKING last yesterday, I came across the above site selling at less than £2 each, just shows what looks like a bargain often isn't, £12:00 for delivery is obviously how they make their profit xD

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)