Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Equivalency Testing?

Hi

Also needed my maths another option that I have taken is a pass in any course with the open university www.open.ac.uk that begins with a T or M is an acceptable equivalent I am taken a 10 week course with them to get my maths. Is another option if like me you are exam phobic!! I will try to attach the goverment equivalent document which shows all the acceptable courses for maths, science englis etc these are accepted for both teacher training courses and EYPS. Hope this helps.

gcse_equivalents_document.pdf

• Like 1

Jester,

thank you so much for that! I have a really ancient GCE O-level pass in Maths that was worrying me, if I ever get round to EYPS !

I now see it's fine - although mundia had told me it was - 'oh, ye of little faith!!' :o

Sue

Jester,

thank you so much for that! I have a really ancient GCE O-level pass in Maths that was worrying me, if I ever get round to EYPS !

I now see it's fine - although mundia had told me it was - 'oh, ye of little faith!!' :o

Sue

No worries, I hope its been useful! I only wish I had known about it sooner then I might not have got myself into such a state!

no probs jester, Ive successfully coached 3 people through GCSE maths and 2 through the maths skills tests in recent years..

(is now a good time to admit that in a former life I was actually a maths teacher!!!... come on, someone has to...)

Shock!! Horror!!!!!!

A MATHS teacher -ooooerr.

Can you guess it was my least favourite subject at school? Well, actually, Geography was, but Maths was a very close second.

On reflection, I have to say, Geography was only my least favourite subject because we had to learn endless lists of products - St Somewhere (St Helen's??) - glass.... - and they're all wrong now, anyway! It being the 21st Century ( :o ) I'd far rather've learnt about geology etc.....

Can I also admit that I love maths. :o When I left school, having got married at 18, I missed it so much that I actually went to the library and got maths text books out so that I could do some of the exercises in them. Now I'll just slink away............. xD

no probs jester, Ive successfully coached 3 people through GCSE maths and 2 through the maths skills tests in recent years..

(is now a good time to admit that in a former life I was actually a maths teacher!!!... come on, someone has to...)

Thanks Mundia, that would be much appreciated! :o

If Mundia is volenteering to do maths I'll put my hand up for science (well chemistry and biology anyway-not so hot on physics) !!

I'm quite happy to be the residential mad scientist!! :o

Sal

If Mundia is volenteering to do maths I'll put my hand up for science (well chemistry and biology anyway-not so hot on physics) !!

Sal

Can I also admit that I love maths. :o When I left school, having got married at 18, I missed it so much that I actually went to the library and got maths text books out so that I could do some of the exercises in them. Now I'll just slink away............. xD

CAROL!!!! :(

Give me Shakespeare, Milton and James Joyce any day!! Or a few interesting Tudors - and I refuse to accept that recent rubbish on tv!!!!!

So - it's literature and history for me!

Sue :(

Art and English for me, but not lit. I got a 'U' for that!

Maths was worse than learning French, it was nothing to do with me and had nothing I could understand.

Science was just as bad, chemistry was a doss, physics? Well with 17% on a test, physics was never going to be my strong point. Our physics teacher was Gary Glitters brother! (Really)

Biology was another doss because if anyone asked the teacher about reproduction it was an odds on bet that he'd go red!

History, great.

Geography, not bad.

PE, didnt do it often enough to care.

Home economics, making a swiss roll or sewing a pin cushion didnt leave me with any ambition to continue with either.

Music, all foreign to me.

Technical drawing, wood/metal work, fab, the best ever.

:o

Did Applied and Pure Maths, English and History at A level. (odd mix I know)

Good O level Biology and Chemistry wasn't allowed to study physics (because I'm a girl !!!)

Art quite good

PE & Music rubbish (think I'm dyspraxic ~ absolutely no sense of rhythm)

German for some reason the teacher took all our books on a train and lost them (an omen for the future)

I was fantastic in the arts- art, drama, craft, textiles- also did my degree in art.

I loved english literature as well- and still do- think all my intelligence went into the arts and there was none left for maths and the sciences!

I was awful at P.E and had two years signed off it due to a knee condition- funnily enough now I love teaching P.E and am very active and go to 3 excercise classes a week plus the gym-how did that happen? :o

What a nice thread this is, an opportunity to know a bit more about forum members .......

English and History for me too, :(:( rubbish at maths and dread this Sept when I start the third year of the degree suppose I will have to eventually start thinking about that equivalency thingy, can I leave it until the last minute??

my brain can't think about it yet, :( I need the degree under my belt first and I am enjoying studying early years education don't want to spoit it with MATHS!! xD:o

Unifix and compare bears are my limit!

Edited by Guest

Hi

I recently did the EYPS and as I left school in the early 70's without any 0 Levels (GCSE) I needed to do the Maths and English Equivalency test. I did this while undertaking the EYPS at The University of Reading and as I was doing the short pathway on the EYPS I had to gain my maths and english fairly quickly. The university was very helpful and gave offered me some individual and small group tuition. I was not woried about the english but I was terrified about the maths it took me 2 attempts but I did pass it and if I can then anyone can so go for it and I wish you the best of luck. A good site to help revision is BBC Bitesise. Hope this has helped.

• 3 weeks later...

Jarodella, well done on your EYPS :D

I am aware of the BBC Bitesize site, I used it the last time I did maths and it was very useful so would defintely use it again.

Now I have another question- would I better doing the test only option or the homework option? my husband thinks I should do the test only option- then if I fail at least it's not as much money :o

Im not the forum mathemagician for nothing ya know!!

how much do you get paid then mundia? :o

Hali and I are very proud - we remembered how to do box plots today! And then the excitement - we've got a software package at uni that does it all for you. Brill!

Maz

mundia - that officially makes you a grown up!

Maz

Sal

I feel qualified to be the forum's tea maker....

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)