Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Equivalency Testing?

Maz, I do remember growing up once, not sure what happened after that.

Every forum needs a tea maker.

I really must stop making these confessions, they have a habit of coming back to haunt me....

• 1 year later...
Hi

Also needed my maths another option that I have taken is a pass in any course with the open university www.open.ac.uk that begins with a T or M is an acceptable equivalent I am taken a 10 week course with them to get my maths. Is another option if like me you are exam phobic!! I will try to attach the goverment equivalent document which shows all the acceptable courses for maths, science englis etc these are accepted for both teacher training courses and EYPS. Hope this helps.

Hello Belle06,

Sorry about this, this thread is a bit old, but can you pls tell me more about the 10 week course in maths, because l also need it for my EYPS. xD Thanks :o

so do I.............................and I really can't 'do' maths! They wouldn't even let me take the exam way back then! Can't imagine teachers being allowed to tell a child that the school didn't want to waste the paper.............which is what i was told!.....................so, 'terrified from the west country' here, needs maths.......heck!

Hi

Also needed my maths another option that I have taken is a pass in any course with the open university www.open.ac.uk that begins with a T or M is an acceptable equivalent I am taken a 10 week course with them to get my maths. Is another option if like me you are exam phobic!! I will try to attach the goverment equivalent document which shows all the acceptable courses for maths, science englis etc these are accepted for both teacher training courses and EYPS. Hope this helps.

Hi Belle06,

can ypu pls give me more information regarding the 10 week course i would need to the maths for my EYPS also, most appreciated. :o Toro

so do I.............................and I really can't 'do' maths! They wouldn't even let me take the exam way back then! Can't imagine teachers being allowed to tell a child that the school didn't want to waste the paper.............which is what i was told!.....................so, 'terrified from the west country' here, needs maths.......heck!

That is terrible :o not good for a child's confidence at all

Hi Belle06,

can ypu pls give me more information regarding the 10 week course i would need to the maths for my EYPS also, most appreciated. :o Toro

Hi Toro,

Perhaps if you send Belle06 a private message she'll respond as she may not read this thread. xD

I also need mathes and english....... for my eyps... not sure how i'm going to do this and the ba hons... must be mad.....

You should also check with your uni/training provider about what maths equivalency they accept - they'll need to be certain the paper is set at the right level. It would be awful to have to do it again because the course wasn't recognised!

Good luck TORO!

Maz

i'm doing my eyps through best practice and this is the same web address i was given to do my mathes and english, let me know what you decide....

• 6 months later...
You should also check with your uni/training provider about what maths equivalency they accept - they'll need to be certain the paper is set at the right level. It would be awful to have to do it again because the course wasn't recognised!

Excellent advice as usual HappyMaz. :o I did S154 Science starts here and MU120 Open Mathematics with the OU and the ITT provider where I applied have decided not to accept them. I now have to do maths and science equivalency tests too and in a very short time. I'm so upset and felt I should share my experience here so that others do not make the same mistake.

• 2 months later...

Wow can't beleive this thread is 3 pages long :o glad it has been useful.

I haven't been around a while as I have had a baby and have recently gone back to work after maternity leave.

Only yesterday I sat maths for the 5th time and it didn't go well at all, the last time I got 49% and the pass rate is 55%- gutted xD

I am going to take a break from it for a while. I have been reading about EYPS and it appears that although you need maths they are a little more leanient (sp) than ITT courses with regard to the maths and english thing

Level 2 key skills in application of number and communication, and certificates in adult

literacy and adult numeracy, are not sufficient to meet this requirement. Although they are

at the same level of the national qualifications framework (NQF) as GCSE A-C grades, they

do not cover the full breadth of knowledge demanded by GCSEs. However, if you hold one

of these qualifications you may be able to provide evidence that you have met the additional

requirements of the GCSEs.

So the OU option might be acceptable and I think if it is it will be the route I will go down.

I have just registered to do OU MATHS because there is no exam. I only got CSE maths grade 2. Keep trying to drum it into my 15 yr old daughter to do really well in maths and English or she will be in my postition in a few years.

good luck to everyone I can understand English but find it hard to understand why we need maths. As someone said compare bears is about the limit.

buttercup

I have just registered to do OU MATHS because there is no exam. I only got CSE maths grade 2. Keep trying to drum it into my 15 yr old daughter to do really well in maths and English or she will be in my postition in a few years.

good luck to everyone I can understand English but find it hard to understand why we need maths. As someone said compare bears is about the limit.

buttercup

Good luck with it xD Yes I agree will be drumming it into my daughter when the time comes to do well in maths and english.

I don't understand why the maths needs to be such a high level, I mean I won't be teaching Py Thag :o

I didnt know you could do OU maths... how long does it take to complete and how does it work if you dont take an exam.... sorry for all the questions......... but i had never thought of doing maths with the OU

I didnt know you could do OU maths... how long does it take to complete and how does it work if you dont take an exam.... sorry for all the questions......... but i had never thought of doing maths with the OU

Belle from the beginning of the post said she was going to do it in a 10 week course but all the info I can find on OU maths suggests the courses are 9 months long.

Have a look here

http://mathschoices.open.ac.uk/routes/p2/index.html

• 1 month later...

I don't know anything about OU 10 week courses in Maths that are accepted as equivalent to GCSE.

I have registered for MU123 (the replacement for MU120) which starts in October this year and finishes in June 2011. There is no exam which appeals to me :o The course details also state:

It is also usually accepted as an equivalent acceptable qualification to GCSE grade C in mathematics by other teacher training institutions

Edited by Geraldine

I don't know anything about OU 10 week courses in Maths that are accepted as equivalent to GCSE.

I have registered for MU123 (the replacement for MU120) which starts in October this year and finishes in June 2011. There is no exam which appeals to me :o The course details also state:

It is also usually accepted as an equivalent acceptable qualification to GCSE grade C in mathematics by other teacher training institutions

OOh thats interesting Geraldine. I guess though it would be an idea to check this with whatever institution you are applying to.

Good luck with it!! xD

Could you pm me some details about it please as it sounds right up my street. :(

But not all teacher training institutions...I've just completed MU120 and it wasn't accepted by my GTTP provider, the OU could not confirm that it was equivalent to Maths GCSE Grade C. The OU would only confirm that it was a Level 4 course. I now have to sit a GCSE higher level Maths equivalency paper next week. I'm so stressed about it, as I spent months completing MU120 and I hate exams! Same with S154 (Science starts here), this is also a level 4 course.

Please consider carefully what course you do as my mistake has cost me alot of money.

:o

Edited by sienna

But not all teacher training institutions...I've just completed MU120 and it wasn't accepted by my GTTP provider, the OU could not confirm that it was equivalent to Maths GCSE Grade C. The OU would only confirm that it was a Level 4 course. I now have to sit a GCSE higher level Maths equivalency paper next week. I'm so stressed about it, as I spent months completing MU120 and I hate exams! Same with S154 (Science starts here), this is also a level 4 course.

Please consider carefully what course you do as my mistake has cost me alot of money.

:o

I agree with you that we should consider course choices carefully and in relation to maths/science/english equivalency it is always worth checking with any future provider whether or not an OU course (or any other!) will be accepted.

The quote I used from the OU website relates to maths course MU123. MU120 is no longer offered and I don't know whether that quote was used in the MU120 course description.

If I ever do EYP I will be doing it with the OU and I know they recognise their own maths course as an equivalent qualification

• 2 weeks later...

I have to do my biology equivalency exam on wednesday.....so nervous!

Finding it difficult to revise....

I have to do my biology equivalency exam on wednesday.....so nervous!

Mine's on Thursday...I did maths yesterday and it was hard!! Revision is crucial because of the amount that needs to be remembered. Try having a break for a bit or revising in 20 minute bursts. Good luck :o

Ooh good luck for Wednesday, sunshine9682 - and I'm not at all surprised you're finding it hard to revise if it is as hot where you are as it is here!

Ma

Mine's on Thursday...I did maths yesterday and it was hard!! Revision is crucial because of the amount that needs to be remembered. Try having a break for a bit or revising in 20 minute bursts. Good luck :o

Good luck and thank you xD

Ooh good luck for Wednesday, sunshine9682 - and I'm not at all surprised you're finding it hard to revise if it is as hot where you are as it is here!

Ma

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

How did you go with your exam?

How did you go with your exam?

Nothing I revised came in the exam, I found it quite difficult. I think I may have failed so I'm in the process of trying to arrange another one. I really thought I would struggle with maths not science. What about you sunshine9682?

Nothing I revised came in the exam, I found it quite difficult. I think I may have failed so I'm in the process of trying to arrange another one. I really thought I would struggle with maths not science. What about you sunshine9682?

I am sure you did fine :-) I thought science was difficult (expecting to resit), and received my results today! Passed with flying colours!

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)