Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Free Potato Growing Kit For Schools

Thanks LWJ sent for mine too. :o If you don't have a garden to grow them in you can use big pots and just keep topping them up as the plant grows. My son did this and he had a bumper crop, they looked better than mine from the allotment!

Thanks LJW - have ordered our pack!

Potatoes were our biggest success last year on our new allotment - we planted ours in the bottom of compost bags with the bag rolled down, and kept pilling more earth around the foliage as they grew, unrolling the bag so it got taller and taller as the potatoes grew.

When we picked them we made oven-baked potato wedges for snack time. Just lovely!

Maz

Thanks LWJ - sent of registration. We entered last year, but our outcome was pitiful due to bad weather. Hopefully we'll do better this year.

:o Thanks LJW.....Have been thinking about our garden area and what to grow......vegetables seems like a good choice now and the pototoes are a good start.

Like the idea of the herbs, DublinBay. We have difficulties with our outside area and 'youth' so a few herbs on the windowsills will be lovely! I like the idea of potatoes in the compost sacks Maz as we will be able to move them in and out of doors. I'm getting excited already!

Thanks for the link. It looks great. Doing a topic on growing later on so will be great. Any more ideas of where I can get freebies from??

Thanks LJW!

Bethie, try the Garden Organic website [formerly known as HDRA] - they have a school scheme and often issue free seeds. Also the gardening mags like 'Grow Your Own' anf 'Kitchen Garden' soemtimes have school schemes.

• 11 months later...

Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhh........... Don't tell anyone but last year's rotted in situ and we planted some fake Sainsbury's ones to avoid children's disappointment sshhhhhhhh.........

Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhh........... Don't tell anyone but last year's rotted in situ and we planted some fake Sainsbury's ones to avoid children's disappointment sshhhhhhhh.........

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :oxD:( :( :( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure: ;):ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Hi all

Have just tried applying, but as we are in Norrthern Ireland it won;t allow me to type in the address and when I went to select the country in only had England, Scotland or Wales :oxD

Will be trying the Garden Organic Website though!

Wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

And ours were 3 potatoes the size of a pea!! so did the same...........

better luck this year...

Inge

• 2 months later...

Is it wrong to get excited because my potatoes have started to grow :o

I've brought them home to look after during the holidays, along with the 60 tomato plants -

well no one told me not to plant the whole packet xD

jackie.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)