Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack Time

Guest terrydoo73

Guest terrydoo73

We have a buffet style snack which is going reasonably well. However there is one little boy who puts off having snack until the very last moment and then says no he doesn't want any. We have a list up on the wall to which all the children add their labels and we call them to come to the table in the order that is on the list - 4 at a time with 1 leader. We did use to have all our snack together but felt that some children were taking longer, others didn't want to go for snack and preferred to continue playing for a while and then have snack and still others refused all together. So we took all of these things on board and decided on this buffet style and it is good as it provides everyone with opportunity to do exactly what they want.

I don't have a problem with this little boy not having snack but it has resulted lately in others deciding in a pact not to go for snack either. I personally don't have a problem with this but we are starting to wonder if this is such a good situation - should we be trying to encourage everyone to have snack as it gives them strength to play, provides nutrition, helps to develop social interaction etc etc.

My Deputy today was adament that we should have say a biscuit available to the children that do take snack for a day and then let them come back in and talk about this treat (we only provide toast and pancakes with fruit). We wouldn't be giving a biscuit every day but just by way of incentive. Our volunteer who comes in to help with snack feels we should just say you have to have the snack and there is no question about not having it! Parents don't appear to care but rather just whatever their child decides themselves (my feeling!)

What do you think? Is there some other incentive we could give?

Guest pamgreen

our buffet system means children come to the snack area when they choose, so rather than call them over they have their snack when they are ready. if a child does not independently access the area then we would perhaps ask them to do so. This hardly ever happens.

Guest terrydoo73

We have a very small Playgroup - only 10 maximum children at any time and our snack table is in the hallway. The volunteer would put the toast on and then the leader announces she is going out to snack and names the children on the list. When we first implemented this system all the children were falling over each other to get their name on the list but now it seems to have worn off ...

Hi does the little boy in question never want to leave the activity he is playing with, is he interested in food at home, has mum indicated he finds mealtimes difficult at home.

Could you choose him to be your helper [a very important role] :o to try to encourage him to at least come over to the area and have a look.

As for the other children creating a pact, i think i would call their bluff and say we are not having snack today as nobody ever wants it, When they see that your not going to do it you will be surprised how many are all of a sudden starving and thirsty.

Then obviously do it, giving a great big thank you to your volunteer for coming in and helping to make the lovely snack.

Also big it up how lucky are we to get a lovely drink and something to eat.

I would not force the child in question to come and have it if he chooses not too, neither would i give the biscuit as an incentive.

Save them for a party or special treat day.

I have been known to give the occasional sticker to children that have had a go at something. xD

Another idea could be as you only have 10 children, can they all make snack together as an activity with you and your Deputy and volunteer.

Hope these ideas maybe of some help.

Let us know how you get on.

How did your fundraising event go Terrydoo73 ?

x

We have regularly had one or two children who never have snack since moving to a buffet style offering a few years ago. I don't have a problem with this as I think it is good for children to determine for themselves if they are hungry or not, just as it is important for them to decide if they need a coat on for outdoor play. It is all part of their development. We have had children for whom food in general has been a bit of an issue and we have dealt with this in different ways, but for the child or children who didn't want because they were too busy of not hungry I've simply made sure we told them in good time that snack was available and would be so until x time. If they still said no thank you we didn't make a deal out of it. Often these children went through a bit of a growth spurt and started to join us for snack naturally as they became hungrier. Although that might not have been for a few months.

We have a self-service snack system mainly for the reason that children can choose when they have a snack. If children decide they are not hungry, that's up to them. As long as children are having regular meals, I don't think it matters if they do not want a snack in between. We do encourage everyone to have a drink, particularly in warm weather. Parents will usually tell us if children haven't had much breakfast or lunch, unless they have these meals at nursery, then we would know anyway. Also, if children have a reason why they should have a snack, then of course we would ensure that they do. We had a little boy with diabetes recently and had to ensure he had a snack and a drink mid-morning and afternoon. Other than that, we let children decide.

Beehive

I don't think I'd go down the route of rewarding children for eating a healthy snack by giving them a sugary one. It sends out all the wrong messages in my opinion.

I have never felt comfortable insisting that children eat a snack. If they're not hungry I would prefer to leave them to play, knowing that they can eat plenty at lunch-time.

I wonder if you could give this little boy an indicator of the duration of snack-time, perhaps with a sand timer or red marks on the clock-face so he can plan his time himself with a few reminders from you. That way you can be sure that he isn't running out of time unexpectedly.

Another strategy would be to involve him in the preparation of the snack. This could offer you or another adult to gently explore his feelings about food and make sure he doesn't have any worries about taste, textures, sticky fingers, etc.

If this doesn't make any difference and he is happy to wait until lunchtime before eating I would respect his wishes and allow him to play.

I just thought I would add to the general consensus that children should decide for themselves if they are hungry or not. In a society where growing obesity if a problem what sort of message are we giving to children if we force them to eat when they aren't hungry at all?

Also a biscuit as an incentive? I would say this is not at all an appropriate idea and I hope you stick to your guns and tell her ‘no way!’

hi we have continuous snack which is open from 8.30-11.00 and the children can go when they please. 10 children can fit around the table and we do remind children about 10.30 if they havent had to do so as the snack area willbe closed. We have some children who do not go to the snack area and i do not see this as a problem. as long as they are having breakfast at home and lunch at home then its fine for him to stay engrossed in his play. I use incentives such as special stickers if the children do something fabulous and on occasions give them a little jelly sweet, I personally do not see how a little bit of sugar is going to harm them especially if it encourages them to take part in healthy snack on a regular basis. Obviously only reward once or twice and then continue to encourage and praise when they visit the snack area. just my opinion anyway

kate

My daughter often doesn't want to come to the snack table but I do insist she has a drink. Sometimes we'll let her take it to where she is playing and have it there, she also doesn't eat breakfast so I have to know she has had milk mid morning. Don't know how she does it, I love my breakfast and snack :o

wow some interesting comments regarding snack and rolling snack, i know ofsted love rolling snack and i do think it has its place but i also think that sitting together is also important especially in today busy society when many families don't have the opportunity to sit together , but i do agree with not forcing the issue of eating , research shows that with some children it can trigger eating issues/disorders and rewarding with a sticker would be much more beneficial than rewarding with a biscuit, we like to encourage children to try new different foods and if they don't like it fair enough but at least they tried.

I was about 6years old when the headmistress stood over me in the dinner hall making me eat my dinner, battered spam from what I remember xD

Its horrific being made to eat when you dont want to and I've never forgotten it.

I'm not sure children need much of a snack anyway, a drink of milk is often enough.

Check with mom what his eating habits at home are, maybe he has a big breakfast or maybe snacking between meals isnt allowed at home.

I certainly wouldnt reward eating something with a biscuit, puts me in mind of a dog thats just learnt a new trick :o

One activity that usually attracts children's attention is popping corn - I bring in my 'duck' popcorn maker and talk about the corn before and after popping. Children then choose a topping - recently we offered them marmite - surprisingly tasty!

We recently had a child who didn't want to come to the snack table - it seems it was something about either the table or perhaps because of the number of children round it as he would readily eat the food offered to him on his own away from the table. Perhaps he wasn't used to sitting at a table to eat in a family group or didn't want to leave his play. Anyway we encouraged the child to eat his snack sitting on his keyperson's lap, gradually moving the chair nearer to the table. His keyperson then sat next to him at the table, when there were only a few other children at the table. He very quickly moved from this to sitting independently at the table and hasn't looked back. Had he been upset or reluctant at any time during this process, I would have listened to the child and not forced the issue.

This might be another way of solving the problem.

Personally, unless I knew otherwise, I believe most chldren are fed enough and a snack item one way or the other in a 3 hour period won't make a big difference to their nourishment.

I just informed the parent if they didn't have anything so they knew.

I prefer self selection for snack -we did tell children when it was available and then when it was nearly time for it to be cleared away in case they changed their mind at the last moment.

• 1 month later...
One activity that usually attracts children's attention is popping corn - I bring in my 'duck' popcorn maker and talk about the corn before and after popping. Children then choose a topping - recently we offered them marmite - surprisingly tasty!

We recently had a child who didn't want to come to the snack table - it seems it was something about either the table or perhaps because of the number of children round it as he would readily eat the food offered to him on his own away from the table. Perhaps he wasn't used to sitting at a table to eat in a family group or didn't want to leave his play. Anyway we encouraged the child to eat his snack sitting on his keyperson's lap, gradually moving the chair nearer to the table. His keyperson then sat next to him at the table, when there were only a few other children at the table. He very quickly moved from this to sitting independently at the table and hasn't looked back. Had he been upset or reluctant at any time during this process, I would have listened to the child and not forced the issue.

This might be another way of solving the problem.

Hi

We too have a snack bar halfway through the morning with children bringing their names to the staff on rota for the day. I do remember we had a member of staff bring her duck popcorn machine in....this proved highly successful even though it blew up!!! much to the delight of the children! :o

My duck popcorn maker has been in weekly use for a number of years for snack time, we did nearly overheat it a while back and managed to melt a little plastic, they do need keeping a strict eye on! It is fun tho and the children love it and the popcorn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)