Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lost In Translation!

Beau

We all know that if you translate something into a different language and back to English that you can get strange results. If you do this through several different languages the results may not bear much resemblance to your original sentence - rather like Chinese Whispers. So for this months competition I have taken lines from well known Nursery Rhymes and done just that! Your challenge is to work out what on earth the original line was. :o

As always the winner will receive a cheque for £20 and a Fsf goody, the runner up will also receive one of our goodies. :( One random entrant, drawn from a hat, will also get a prize regardless of how many right answers you have, so please have a go even if you don't think you stand a chance of getting them all!

To enter please send me a private message with your answers by the end of the month. xD

1. With the aged lady of what alive in the low shoes

2. In the point and in the lower surface in its nightdress

3. I float of the blowing that little mark, as they surprise to me, which you are?

4. They have worked completely after the woman of the cultivators, that have cut their pieces of extremity outside with a perforation aid

5. Only left and they to see the house and to obtain its parts of the extremity behind they

6. Younglet of the dog laughed, the end to see that so it had fit far in the action a restoration and the parabolic one with the spoon

7. The length came a spider, than it sat down downwards later

8. He goes forward to these hills, these reduced your second time go forward

9. The rat adjusted itself in the action to the point of the shot pulse

10. It faces up as rapidly as possible, around me with the furnace the end to cook a cake

11. And for the small boy, than alive in the lower surface of the way

12. One seated downwards in its account and was surpassed a plum tree

13. Assembly of Jill and Cat the mount, the end to watch a compartment in the water

14. If the wind burns from part besides, the crib oscillates

15. I have taken from the left leg and I have thrown it in the lower surface of the scale

16. It had a rotatory man and it has thousands gone twistedly

17. The good one was in the garden trailing clothing

18. When it arrived here, the drawer was naked

19. Its wife could eat not of one certain way the end to become diluted

20. The civil employee of the internal stole diagrams to the segments and took a clean party

Somebody watching the Gadget Show last night?

:o Luckily it doesn't do it backwards. xD

My puppy is much easier now Susan so I have a little spare time on my hands again!

• 2 weeks later...

The original line is what I am after, but if you get the right Nursery Rhyme I might be generous with my marking. :o

It may seem quite difficult but there actually aren't that many popular nursery rhymes to pick from. You could almost do it backwards - think of a nursery rhyme first and then have a look through the questions to see if any seem to fit. :( Just so you know, I haven't had any entries yet so if you do get round to submitting it is looking like you have a good chance of winning. xD

Due to the fact I am off on holiday in the morning, the competition will be open until Monday 7th June. This gives you half term to have a go - remember, you don't need to have answers to them all to enter. You can always send in whatever answers you have and if you come up with any more before the end of the week send me a message and I can add them onto your existing answers.

And since at the moment I have 0 entries, you stand a pretty good chance of winning with only 1 correct answer at this stage!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry! Have been very busy but will check out all the entries submitted and get back to you with the answers! When I went away there were no answers and my inbox has been red hot since! xD Thank you to every one who entered and so sorry if it drove you mad. :o

Thanks to everyone who entered - after a rather slow start I ended up getting 17 entries. :( I have now had chance to check them all and can announce the winners.

Despite it obviously being rather trickier than I thought, our winner for this month actually got all 20 questions right! So well done to sandie - what a magnificent effort. xD Your cheque for £20 and choice of Fsf prize will be sent soon.

Two members almost got a full house, just missing out narrowly on the same question - well done Kariana and fay, your runners-up prize will be winging its way to you as well. :(

As promised one other random entrant will be getting a prize and this month the lucky winner is narnia. :(

I will be contacting all the winners for details of where to send the prizes. :wacko:

And for those of you who have been driven mad, here are the answers. :o

1. With the aged lady of what alive in the low shoes

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe

2. In the point and in the lower surface in its nightdress

Upstairs and downstairs in his nightgown

3. I float of the blowing that little mark, as they surprise to me, which you are?

Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are?

4. They have worked completely after the woman of the cultivators, that have cut their pieces of extremity outside with a perforation aid

They all ran after the farmers wife, Who cut off their tails with a carving knife

5. Only left and they to see the house and to obtain its parts of the extremity behind they

Leave them alone and they'll come home, Bringing their tails behind them.

6. Younglet of the dog laughed, the end to see that so it had fit far in the action a restoration and the parabolic one with the spoon

The little dog laughed to see such fun and the dish ran away with the spoon

7. The length came a spider, than it sat down downwards later

Along came a spider, Who sat down beside her

8. He goes forward to these hills, these reduced your second time go forward

He marched them up to the top of the hill and he marched them down again

9. The rat adjusted itself in the action to the point of the shot pulse

The mouse ran up the clock

10. It faces up as rapidly as possible, around me with the furnace the end to cook a cake

Bake me a cake as fast as you can

11. And for the small boy, than alive in the lower surface of the way

And one for the little boy who lives down the lane

12. One seated downwards in its account and was surpassed a plum tree

He put in his thumb and pulled out a plum

13. Assembly of Jill and Cat the mount, the end to watch a compartment in the water

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water

14. If the wind burns from part besides, the crib oscillates

When the wind blows the cradle will rock

15. I have taken from the left leg and I have thrown it in the lower surface of the scale

I took him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs

16. It had a rotatory man and it has thousands gone twistedly

There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile

17. The good one was in the garden trailing clothing

The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes

18. When it arrived here, the drawer was naked

When she got there the cupboard was bare

19. Its wife could eat not of one certain way the end to become diluted

His wife could eat no lean

20. The civil employee of the internal stole diagrams to the segments and took a clean party

The Knave of Hearts he stole the tarts and took them clean away

Wow! I cant believe I won! I am feeling very proud now and will show off at my staff meeting tonight!

Sandie x xD

Think how much prouder you'll be when you have a mug in your possession too! :o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...