Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Golden Moments

I was just browsing around the site and thinking how interesting all the topics are and how conscientious and dedicated we all are to our jobs, that this is a great site for getting things off your chest, gaining support etc etc. I was then reminded of an idea from Jenny Mosley (Circle Time author). She suggested practitioners take time to write down all the cute and downright funny things children say and do and thought it would be a fab thing to do here. Sometimes we need to lift the mood and have a jolly good giggle - its also therapeutic and helps keep things in perspective.

Who's going to start the ball rolling? (my own mind's gone a blank - probably exhausted from coming up with yet another new idea!!!)

I'm looking forward to reading all your quips.

hi

we have planned a trip to lego land next month...

so one of my little ones shouted across the room today at milk time

"alison will you hold my hand at lego land if my mom makes you a nice packed lunch?"

.... well what could i say..................... "of course"

My favourite is from a little girl last year. Sitting on the toilet she told one of my staff "I love coming here. It's just like a party every time you come and you can dress up".

What more could a child want!!!

Linda

A little girl in our playschool came up to me the other day and handed me a small cow from the farm set, she said you need to put this away as its Mary's and Joseph's cow from the stable.

Guest cat33

Love this thread! Will now be using our experiential obs. notes to write the funny things heard.

Another time when funny things can said is singing -

who built the ark, no one no one ect ( you have to sing it while you read it)

Thanks for starting this one off Lisa - and welcome to the forum Rosemarie!

We had a little chatterbox a couple of years ago, and as I passed her at snack time I said "Hi Hannah, how are you today?". A couple of seconds later I realised she hadn't said anything. This was so unusual I went back and sat down with her, and said again, "How are you this morning Hannah?"

She said nothing, but just gazed at me, chewing away at whatever was in her mouth. I tried a couple more things, but got nothing out of her.

Eventually she swallowed hard, then said, "My mum says I mustn't speak while I'm eating. She says it makes me look like a cement mixer!"

More on the Mary and Joseph theme - I was looking at a picture of Mary and Joseph in the stable and asked the young artist about all the animals in his picture. ' That's the donkey, ' he said, ' and that's the Bethle - hen.'

Smiles keep me going some days. :D

A child drew lots of tents when asked what they were he told us it was Hitler's thinking camp Concentration camp was what he meant.

Last year when we had the photographer visit, one little boy didn't want his photo taken and hid under a table. His friend said to him "It's alright. It doesn't hurt ..... it's not like having your hair cut." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today one of our little boys came up to me and said 'I want a piece of quiet, its too noisy! We keep trying to find a piece of quiet but we can't!' When I told his mum at the end of Nursery she said he keeps coming out with cute things... apparently his dad had told him off for picking his nose but when Dad looked the little boy was still doing it so he said 'What are you doing, I just told you to stop' to which he got the reply' 'I was only putting it back!' (Yukky but funny!)

Back on the nativity theme. Children were asked to draw a picture on the theme of their favourite carol.

One little chap had all the usual characters that the teacher recognised but one particularly large figure baffled her. When she asked who it was the little boy replied "Oh! that's round John Verger" (round yon virgin, as in silent night!)

Mmmm nativity, that reminds me of a story I read in an early years magazine a year or so ago. At a nursery nativity play the three wise men arrive at the stable, and each says his piece:

" I bring you gold", says the first.

"I bring you myrrh" says the second, and the third says,

"And Frank sent this!"

My absolute favourite came from one of my own girls:

A local chap was due to visit the pre-school with his guide dog. My little one was classified as "partially sighted" at the time. I thought that, in advance, I would explain a guide dog's role. So I said, beacuse the man can't see at all, the dog does the seeing for him, and can take him to see his firneds, to the post office, to the shops (all the things that she knew we did).

The guide dog visit came and went. We talked about it.

The following weekend, on the way to Tesco:

"Mummy, I'm really amazed that dogs can drive!"

It made me think!

Diane.

Reading these has just made me think of a little boy in my class last year.

Whilst playing outside he suddenly ran up to me with a look of horror on his face, shouting "Miss come and look, the tree is melting". On inspection of the tree I was able to calm him and tell him that it was autumn and it was only the leaves falling from the tree! :)

One little boy, a few years ago, came in on the first really warm day of summer. "Look Mrs McDowell, I'm wearing short sleeved trousers today!!"

Bless!

Oh and welcome 610mk!! Thanks for your first, and amusing, post!

When asking my Year 1s what sort of information would they like to find from a non-fiction book, the first two responses were - How does the tooth fairy get under the pillow? - How does Santa Claus get down the chimney?

I think they missed the point!!!!

Gail

Hi

One of my staff members was playing snap today with a group of children, she held up pictures of two cows one with udders and the other without.

When asked were they the same one little girl said "no one has whiskers and the other does'nt" :o

One of my little ones got very interested in the state at the building when we approached our first half term holiday this year, and eventually asked "Miss, will the school really break up next week? What classroom will we use then?"

Dianne xxx

My daughter sang the who built the ark one when she was in reception-and continued with "but the no one built the ark"!!! She's 23 now and we still remind her of it!

One of our littlr girls was "eating" her lunch today or not should I say. She was pushing her sandwiches around and when I asked her if she was going to eat them she told me "I don't like the bread, it's got pips in it"! It was granary bread!

Linda

Guest Candy

One year at around Christmas time (funny how so many of these stories have a Christmas link) I set up the graphics area as a post office to encourage children to write letters to Father Christmas. Along with the usual stamps, envelopes, pens, paper, and post box I also put up a poster of the world map with a big arrow and label pointing to Lapland.

As we put up the display we had discussed that Father Christmas came from Lapland and that children could try to address their envelopes. Matthew obviously intrigued with the name nearly knocked me off my chair when he asked "Does Father Christmas build his toys with the with the lap dancers?"

At a shape activity yesterday, I was asking a 3 year old girl what the shapes were called. She did really well, when i pointed to the rectangle she said " it's a squaretangle" !

Guest sjpountn

In a reception class on one of my placements the teacher was talking about holidays, she asked if anyone had ever been to France. One little boy replied 'yes' so the teacher asked him when he had been. He replied 'when i was in mommy's tummy!!' How cute!

Back to the Christmas / Nativity theme.

One year we were practising singing a song which included the lyrics, 'We are wise men we search for reason'

One child couldn't understand why myself and my support asistant were laughing as she sang at the top of her voice, ' we are wise men we search for weasels' :o

Two of my grandchildren are staying tonight. They are cousins age 5(boy) and 6 (girl). I have just overheard their conversation as they were getting undressed.

My grandson said to my granddaughter

"I wont look while you get undressed" to which she replied "Don't worry if you do I have only got a picture of a cat on my knickers"

The innocence of it long may it last!!!!!!