Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tell me how old you are without telling me how old you are?

Hi

Stole this idea from elsewhere so tell me something about yourself that dates without actually telling me how old you are....I will start:

When I was a child the sweet shop sold 2 fruit salads for 1p but you could also get 4 mojos for 1p = guess what I went for lol

We only had fizzy pop at christmas, parties or when my brother and I sat outside the pub with a pop and a bag of crisps

He and I used to collect Corona bottles so we could take them back and get 1p per bottle 

On a Sunday I used to record the 'Top 40' on a Panasonic tape recorder where you had to hold down play and record to record and used to sulk if someone talked when I was recording lol

Tell me about you 😀

Sue 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 14/06/2023 at 14:51, SueFinanceManager said:

Hi

Stole this idea from elsewhere so tell me something about yourself that dates without actually telling me how old you are....I will start:

When I was a child the sweet shop sold 2 fruit salads for 1p but you could also get 4 mojos for 1p = guess what I went for lol

We only had fizzy pop at christmas, parties or when my brother and I sat outside the pub with a pop and a bag of crisps

He and I used to collect Corona bottles so we could take them back and get 1p per bottle 

On a Sunday I used to record the 'Top 40' on a Panasonic tape recorder where you had to hold down play and record to record and used to sulk if someone talked when I was recording lol

Tell me about you 😀

Sue 

Flippin' heck Sue - you are much older than I thought 🤣

I can identify with all of your points + we had so much delivered to the house (parent's house) a baker came with wooden trays that pulled out of his van laden with bread and lovely cakes, there was a fish van and a potato man too

In the sweetie line I offer sherbet dip-dabs, jamboree bags and spangles

The grocer shop in the village had rows of tins containing loose biscuits - so you could go along with a bag and chose a mix of biccies and wonder of wonders there was one such tin containing broken biscuits at a cut down price

Everyone had their shoes mended - lovely 'blakies' great for some impromptu tap dancing!

Satsumas, Quality Street, nuts, dates were only seen at Christmas

Presents were only given on birthdays and Christmas

Toast made with a long toasting fork over the open fire

Ice on the inside of windows in the winter

Radio Caroline, Radio Luxembourg...

🤣 Bet you wish you had never asked 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/06/2023 at 09:19, Jules said:

Hello! I remember ABBA from the first time around (I was at primary school – for extra context).

I also remember when chocolate bars were bigger 🤣

Good grief you are soooo young (do your mum and dad know that you are out?) 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 4

I did O'levels and the year I did them I was eating Terrys Chocolate lemons! Yes, lemons.

I remember the corona man as well. Also taking a bowl out to the ice cream man to fill up at Sunday tea time.

I do remember 'old money' but only just.

We used to play cards by candlelight during evening power cuts.

Cream cakes were Saturday treats.

I was still at primary school when ads like " nuts whole hazelnuts, Cadbury make them etc " and we used to sing those ads at playtime.

We only had a black and white telly, which was rented and only had 2 channels.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

....and (I'm back)

Blackboard rubbers whizzing past my ear - teachers threw such rubbers at disruptive children - obviously I was a good girl so I was never the intended target 😇

My younger brother and I disappearing off on our bikes for hours, only going home when were hungry...

My younger brother and I stealing matches so that we could make bonfires (thank goodness these never got out of control)

Aunties - who were not family at all - I had Auntie Fuff (Florence) and Auntie Nin (Lilian) - they were lovely

Using a metal 'grinder' to grind up horseradish - loved that job even though it was so strong it made my eyes water...

Haha - I had an Auntie Win and an Uncle Bonk!   Also an Uncle Buzz - but he’d got his moniker flying Lancasters in the war, no idea about the other couple, just accepted it, as you did!  

Yes, I remember black jacks and fruit salads, two for a farthing, the little step we stood on to peer through the glass whilst making the selection.  All handled by staff with hands that were only washed at meal times or if the got sticky.  Flying saucers, those little rainbow drops that were a huge quantity for a penny, twists of rainbow sherbet……   The swizz when decimalisation came in and we worked out how much things had suddenly gone up, bags of crisps etc.  

Out on your bike all day and back when the streetlights come on - if you were anywhere near streetlights of course! And being late back and being told that half the police force of Yorkshire had been out looking for me (and then waiting for someone to ring the police to tell them I’d turned up 🤭)

Chopper bikes that my friends had, and I had my mum’s huge heavy thing with a basket on the front.  It was a bike, it didn’t matter.

such a lot of recycling went on - taking glass bottles back to the shops for the deposit back, milk bottles always in glass, always having our own shopping bags - never plastic.  Lunches wrapped in tinfoil that was then reused and reused until being recycled in the collection of milk bottle tops.  Collecting used stamps for charity and those Blue Peter random annual appeals.  John Noakes and Shep ……..  ahhhhh

we never had fizzy pop or chocolate biscuits in the house except for birthday parties, but my auntie Joanie did (a bike ride away) tra la la.  She also made tomato sandwiches on white bread where the slices of tomato actually overlapped!!!!  

happy, uncomplicated days …..

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 16:35, sunnyday said:

Flippin' heck Sue - you are much older than I thought 🤣

🤣😆🤣 

On 19/06/2023 at 17:27, sunnyday said:

Blackboard rubbers whizzing past my ear - teachers threw such rubbers at disruptive children - obviously I was a good girl so I was never the intended target 😇

I remember t hat too but I was the target 🤣

• Like 1

I'm loving this thread and the memories (very distant memories🤣) that it has stirred...

Did anyone else have to do Primary school P.E. in just knickers and vest? I knew that wasn't quite 'right' at the time - the boys got to wear shorts, can't understand the thinking behind that one at all...

Anyway - how lucky am I that I can remember such detail at the age of 103 🙃

• Haha 1

On 20/06/2023 at 13:36, sunnyday said:

I'm loving this thread and the memories (very distant memories🤣) that it has stirred...

Did anyone else have to do Primary school P.E. in just knickers and vest? I knew that wasn't quite 'right' at the time - the boys got to wear shorts, can't understand the thinking behind that one at all...

Anyway - how lucky am I that I can remember such detail at the age of 103 🙃

Oh yes, and at secondary school, unless it was ‘that time’ when you were allowed to wear a skirt, but honestly, it was more of a frill than a skirt, hardly worth the bother.  Plus I always felt that it was advertising the fact - especially when I was the first in the class to be wearing one! 😳

• Sad 2

I remember having ‘Peter and Jane’ as the first reading books in school.

having a black and white telly that you changed channel by turning a dial on - I think things were permanently fuzzy.

Phone number being 4 digits long and then the excitement when everyone in the village got an extra two digits.

Handwriting assignments at university.

I didn’t do O-levels but only just!

Cross country at secondary school actually being cross country.

My parents did the whole Good Life self-sufficiency thing when I was growing up and I hated having to pick prickly, hairy gooseberries (which I didn’t even like eating)! Looking back now I know I didn’t apprchow lucky we were at the time.

There

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2023 at 04:44, Froglet said:

I remember having ‘Peter and Jane’ as the first reading books in school.

having a black and white telly that you changed channel by turning a dial on - I think things were permanently fuzzy.

Phone number being 4 digits long and then the excitement when everyone in the village got an extra two digits.

Handwriting assignments at university.

I didn’t do O-levels but only just!

Cross country at secondary school actually being cross country.

My parents did the whole Good Life self-sufficiency thing when I was growing up and I hated having to pick prickly, hairy gooseberries (which I didn’t even like eating)! Looking back now I know I didn’t apprchow lucky we were at the time.

There

Oh yes!  Our number was 3308 when we got married!   I remember what an incredible low digit number it was when I used to ring him from Leeds, it was 0900 3308 for the whole number in Cumbria, whereas we in Leeds had had the extra 66 in front of our number for a while.  We’d been married a few years before they added a 81 to the Cumbria number! Then we got that extra digit in the area code as well! 

Edited by Cait

So excited, my actual real granddaughter is coming to visit today!   They’re staying at the Premier Inn down the road for a couple of nights, so it’s not too much for Zebedee, but it’s going to be so, so lovely to see them.   It was meant to be a celebratory visit as he’d had his last chemo, but that’s now going to be ongoing until September.  They’ll just have to visit again! 🤣🤣

• Like 2

On 23/06/2023 at 11:22, Cait said:

So excited, my actual real granddaughter is coming to visit today!   They’re staying at the Premier Inn down the road for a couple of nights, so it’s not too much for Zebedee, but it’s going to be so, so lovely to see them.   It was meant to be a celebratory visit as he’d had his last chemo, but that’s now going to be ongoing until September.  They’ll just have to visit again! 🤣🤣

So pleased for you - enjoy xxx

• Like 1