Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting up a new preschool

Cait

Hello all!

im wearing a different ‘hat’ today, that of Bookings Secretary for our Parish Hall.

I’ve been approached by someone wanting to start a preschool, and enquiring about availability, prices etc.   I’m just wanting to make sure I’m giving her the right feedback before I respond.

She’s planning on running session 9-1.  Now, from memory, that suggests to me that she’ll have to be Ofsted registered (more than 2hrs). Is that still the case? And the premises will need to pass their inspection.

I assume she will be committee run - not sure why I’m assuming that, just because she’s approached with just her first name I think.  So, she will need whatever EY2s etc are called these days, medical checks, DBS and full committee cleared before she starts up? Is that correct? 

Presumably Charity Commission clearance? 

what else?   What have I not thought of? 

We’ve limited storage nowadays so as she will be pack away, that will need to be taken into consideration. 

all suggestions greatfully accepted! 

If I were you the first thing I'd is check whether she'd opening it privately or not (most around here are nowadays - I can't think of one committee run locally) as that would cut down your research workload. 

If private you just need to rent her the room/space and she does the rest!  And yes to ofsted check of premises, but that usually done when it ready to set up.

Just for your ref- we're in a scout hut and pay around £12 an hour, heating/electric included (plus a phone line in, but we only dial out in an emergency) Currently no internet- but the scouts actually want it for themselves so they're trying to sort something out.

We supply toilet rolls and hand towels ourselves - although we do a bit of give and take on that one!

• Like 1

On 10/02/2022 at 18:59, sunnyday said:

Hi Cait

I'm sure that all of the above is the correct info - I think that I would ask has she contacted LA for guidance - might just be that she wants to know info re prices before she takes that step?

Not sure that helps

Yes good point.   I do wonder if she’s done any research into need, we do seem to have a few preschool/playgroups in town! 

so having had this conversation very recently! You need to check the lease of the village hall. Will it allow long term rental? 

Is she asking to do any work to the premises(toilets for instance are a headache!)

Will security be suitable?

Parking and access?

If she isn't going to store has she considered how she will manage this...though TBH thats not your problem.

She needs to do all the legwork and present you with a business plan that ensures she can pay the rent . You will be much more involved in sorting out how much you want to charge, especially if you will lose other bookings.

Utilities and cleaning included? if not then who will be responsible for what and who will pay if there is a problem insurance will also need to be considered.

• Like 1

Thanks for that.  Yes, I got the impression she didn’t have much of a clue, as her email wasn’t particularly professional.

It’s the church hall, and we do hire it out for lots of things already.  Mainly evening, Saturday dance class and a couple of afternoons - Japanese drummers etc.   

I asked her for more info when I told her our prices, and she’s not come back to me, so maybe she’s decided we are too expensive.  At £12:50 an hour she would need a room load of children to cover that and staffing, insurance etc! 

• Like 2

On 15/02/2022 at 07:56, finleysmaid said:

14k a year isn't bad....depends on the size of the hall and the funding rate!

The hall is really big, has one big main room that’s larger than a badminton/tennis court, a smaller room half that size and a kitchen the same size as the smaller room.  It has an access loo and three ladies loos - one of which is a mini loo, as well as the usual gents setup.  Bit of outdoor space but all tarmac - the one downside is that there’s no parking.  

so 3 loos would suggest about 30 children, even though the hall is big

On 15/02/2022 at 09:47, Cait said:

The hall is really big, has one big main room that’s larger than a badminton/tennis court, a smaller room half that size and a kitchen the same size as the smaller room.  It has an access loo and three ladies loos - one of which is a mini loo, as well as the usual gents setup.  Bit of outdoor space but all tarmac - the one downside is that there’s no parking.  

There’s a ‘disabled’ loo too, complete with changing table, so technically, there could be more, but the outside area wouldn’t cope with that.  Having run a preschool in the past, I’d not like to have many more than a dozen children in that space at one time.

She’s not got back to me, so maybe the realities have put her off …….