Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children holidaying in areas where R rate has increased

swanh

Hi, I have a child who will soon be holidaying abroad where the coronavirus is spiking again and the R rate is currently 2.6. As a Childminder would you be advising they do not return to your setting until 7 days after they return to the uk? Would you also apply this to children who are holidaying in the UK if the R rate is high (R1+)in those areas too. I am aware the government guidance specifies no quarantine rules  from certain countries but if children are returning from areas where the R rate has increased then coming into your home when they get back this could potentially put other children and my own family at greater risk. Would love to know your thoughts on this - thank you

i would think this has to be your own rules...and i would agree it does seem quite high, even the idea of going through an airport would make me nervous. I think if i was having them in my home is would also say 7 days and if no symptoms then return. Maybe check with your LEA?

Taking temperatures is not recommended as a form of checking for covid. I'm not really sure why people seem to have started doing this but the HPA and the gov say it is not effective. You would only have to ride a bike or run in for your temperature to go up and you would need to wait for about 1 and a half hours for it to go down again.....sorry Ben this has been a discussion had often in the hospitality sector and I think my husbands got me on the bandwagon now !!!!😜🤪😜

• Like 2

haha no worries - I'd not read anything about it, just know that it seems more people are doing it! I did have a little chuckle when I went to get my hair cut and my temp was 32C! 

I think one of the F1 drivers also scanned hot after cycling in to the circuit, so put water on his head and then came back as if he was almost frozen! So can see why it's not a great way to check!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

Taking temperatures is not recommended as a form of checking for covid. I'm not really sure why people seem to have started doing this but the HPA and the gov say it is not effective. You would only have to ride a bike or run in for your temperature to go up and you would need to wait for about 1 and a half hours for it to go down again.....sorry Ben this has been a discussion had often in the hospitality sector and I think my husbands got me on the bandwagon now !!!!😜🤪😜

Good to read this fm - one of my staff members is keen on taking temps as children enter - this is so not happening! 🤣 

• Haha 1

I'm not sure of the benefit of 7 days given that the virus can take up to two weeks to appear, hence usual isolating being 14 days.

I'm also not sure if you should be deciding which places people have travelled to are safe or not safe, as you do not know what families have been doing, nor what the rate is in the exact place they have been. So if they went somewhere where there were lots of people in close proximity but a generally lower rate, would they be less at risk than someone who had been strictly distancing , not mixing with many people but in a  place where the rate is higher? It would be impossible to say which is more or less at risk.

Also, numbers are often reported for whole countries rather than districts so it's difficult to tell if they have been to somewhere less safe than another place. This has been the case with the current situation with Spain because many people have been staying on the islands where numbers are much lower.

I would be concerned if you set what appears to be arbitrary decisions (ie not down to any govt restrictions like with Spain) about who can attend after a holiday might result in some parents feeling they are being treated unfairly especially if they are returning to work, and feel they have been very strict about what they did whilst away. It may also result in them deciding not to tell you where they are going.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, you would really need to ensure parents understand this well before they go, so that they can make arrangements.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mundia said:

I'm not sure of the benefit of 7 days given that the virus can take up to two weeks to appear, hence usual isolating being 14 days.

I'm also not sure if you should be deciding which places people have travelled to are safe or not safe, as you do not know what families have been doing, nor what the rate is in the exact place they have been. So if they went somewhere where there were lots of people in close proximity but a generally lower rate, would they be less at risk than someone who had been strictly distancing , not mixing with many people but in a  place where the rate is higher? It would be impossible to say which is more or less at risk.

Also, numbers are often reported for whole countries rather than districts so it's difficult to tell if they have been to somewhere less safe than another place. This has been the case with the current situation with Spain because many people have been staying on the islands where numbers are much lower.

I would be concerned if you set what appears to be arbitrary decisions (ie not down to any govt restrictions like with Spain) about who can attend after a holiday might result in some parents feeling they are being treated unfairly especially if they are returning to work, and feel they have been very strict about what they did whilst away. It may also result in them deciding not to tell you where they are going.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, you would really need to ensure parents understand this well before they go, so that they can make arrangements.

Thanks for this mundia

I have a little boy starting end of September - he will have been on holiday 11th-25th and then starts with me 28th - I have decided that I am not even going to ask where they will be

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/07/2020 at 13:13, sunnyday said:

Thanks for this mundia

I have a little boy starting end of September - he will have been on holiday 11th-25th and then starts with me 28th - I have decided that I am not even going to ask where they will be

I had a little 're-think' about this and decided I was being a little irresponsible here - I have checked they are going to Cornwall - phew!