Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

dbs question

Then I think if you do a check on the update service and record that check as clear, it should be ok.  It’s such a minefield and so confusing to know if you are doing the right thing with these checks now.  I guess for clarity you could email Ofsted and ask.

2 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Then I think if you do a check on the update service and record that check as clear, it should be ok.  It’s such a minefield and so confusing to know if you are doing the right thing with these checks now.  I guess for clarity you could email Ofsted and ask.

yes my issue is the "do you work with the children " question obviously when a trustee no but now a yes!!!

9 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

yes my issue is the "do you work with the children " question obviously when a trustee no but now a yes!!!

Ahh, see your point! So guessing you would need to go for the enhanced check then that you pay for.  It kinda makes a mockery of the whole update service! Surely a clear check is a clear check.  I would contact Ofsted if I was you.

12 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Ahh, see your point! So guessing you would need to go for the enhanced check then that you pay for.  It kinda makes a mockery of the whole update service! Surely a clear check is a clear check.  I would contact Ofsted if I was you.

it is an enhanced check (they need it to become part of the business)...hum yes think an email needs to be pinged off!!

• Like 1

Hi, if she is going to be paid you need to do the paid DBS, employees can’t work on a volunteer dbs....I guess because we’d all get them done as a volunteer before putting someone on the payroll, we had something from county years ago warning us not to do it because we could get a large fine and our registration closed if caught.

49E5AACF-19A6-4EDE-B1D9-53D9E6CC9014.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Hi, if she is going to be paid you need to do the paid DBS, employees can’t work on a volunteer dbs....I guess because we’d all get them done as a volunteer before putting someone on the payroll, we had something from county years ago warning us not to do it because we could get a large fine and our registration closed if caught.

49E5AACF-19A6-4EDE-B1D9-53D9E6CC9014.jpeg

Ah well that sounds quite clear....is this from your LEA then? (i hadn't actually asked our LEA they are being a bit useless at the moment!!!) 

Yes she is on the update service but i can understand that they need to get their pennies worth from us....lets not give us an inch eh? after all we get paid so much funding (sorry sarcasm off button not working)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Ah well that sounds quite clear....is this from your LEA then? (i hadn't actually asked our LEA they are being a bit useless at the moment!!!) 

Yes she is on the update service but i can understand that they need to get their pennies worth from us....lets not give us an inch eh? after all we get paid so much funding (sorry sarcasm off button not working)

No not from LEA, that was a newsletter type thing, I think because staff were often being recruited from committee members,  that paragraph is from an Ofsted or DFE document, i’ll try and find which one.

This isn’t the one, but it does cover the employee v volunteer Dbs: http://ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/sw-files/volunteer-guidance.pdf

Edited by Mouseketeer
  • Thanks 1

A new EY2 would need to be done too, don't get caught out with that bit, needs to select working directly with children. They will then need a health declaration completing from them and their drs at whatever cost it is they charge. 

The transfer as above is not allowed which is a massive pain in the rear! I get why they do it but it would make sense to have a volunteer period clause in it so then we could use it if they transferred to paid say 6 months later. 

Edited by Foreveryoung

35 minutes ago, Foreveryoung said:

The transfer as above is not allowed which is a massive pain in the rear! I get why they do it but it would make sense to have a volunteer period clause in it so then we could use it if they transferred to paid say 6 months later. 

You’d think something could be put in place to eliminate the need to start again if the person has stayed on the update service, like you say for a transfer fee.

none of my staff have EY2s or health checks (only me as manager and on committee).

25 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

You’d think something could be put in place to eliminate the need to start again if the person has stayed on the update service, like you say for a transfer fee.

none of my staff have EY2s or health checks (only me as manager and on committee).

This person is a trustee and I presume will remain so  while working in the setting  therefore they will need a new EY2, staff and managers your quite right don't (if not also on Committee), just pointing out the EY2 need for this person. 

Now the idea of a transfer would require someone to think of us mugs on the ground navigating and funding the DBS's to care about us..... likely good? Well there's always hope I guess 😂

Edited by Foreveryoung
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Foreveryoung said:

This person is a trustee and I presume will remain so  while working in the setting  therefore they will need a new EY2, staff and managers your quite right don't (if not also on Committee), just pointing out the EY2 need for this person. 

Now the idea of a transfer would require someone to think of us mugs on the ground navigating and funding the DBS's to care about us..... likely good? Well there's always hope I guess 😂

She doesn't work as a trustee on the floor though. SO the EY2 bit is for her trustee role . Her staff contract would be under a new dbs certificate for staff done through us.

Our trustees don't need health checks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2019 at 22:16, finleysmaid said:

Ive sent an enquiry in to Ofsted!! i'll get back to you when ive got the answers (don't hold your breath!O.o)

Please do keep us updated, I bet it will be an unclear answer 🙃 they love to give non direct information.

I was told what I know about it when I phoned them regarding a trustee coming onto our bank staff while still remaining as a trustee, about a year ago now. This is when I was told it is a whole new EY2 and would require health dec, this stopped us from moving forward due to having to go through it all again but just for bank staff. It was said it is because the EY2 asks the direct working question to which her current one said no, I can not remember exact words but basically we could get RI if found to be non compliant.

I did only phone the once so maybe could have been given dud advice