Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Key person for part time staff

Welcome to the forum Sovreign! Lovely to have you here :D

We're a large day nursery and our staff work in teams 0-2, 2-3, 3+. Every child has a key person who is resonsible for their records and is the main point of contact for parents. However, because staff do different shifts and a child might be dropped off at 7.30am and picked up at 5 but their key person is with them 9-4 other staff need to know all about them. Working in close teams helps us to do this. We send out this note to parents as necessary (We use Tapestry and the note goes out with a photo of the key person with the key child):

Here I am with Sally who is going to be my key person. If you want to talk to Sally you can always pop in for a chat, she is here every day. If you want to talk to any of the other key people in my group, as I have lots of fun with all of them and they know me very well, then please pop in and see them, I know they would all love to see you.

or, for part time staff/ children

Here I am with Ellie who is going to be my key person. I see Ellie on a Tuesday and a Thursday. If you want to talk to Ellie you can always pop in for a chat, she is here on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. If you want to talk to any of my other teachers, as I have lots of fun with all of them and they know me very well, then please pop in and see them, I know they would all love to see you.

Does that give you some ideas?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

just adding my thoughts, rather than a buddy system we use a 'second' key person for all children. so that someone else is there for them on the days the first key person is out. that way the girls don't feel like they are getting a bigger work load and there's always a back up for each child. also if you have a child doing part time on those days it has to go to that person.

We do the same, our Key buddy is the 2nd key person I guess, we tend to use our full time staff as the buddy/2nd KP because of the problems with part time staff and children increasing/swapping their sessions to different days, I don’t know if others get the ‘but you’re here more than me’ from part timers, they don’t seem to get that someone who is full time doesn’t necessarily see their KC anymore than the part time staff as just because staff are in everyday the key child isn’t. I think working out key groups and time out fairly is one of the hardest things to organise ....trying to keep everyone happy and I rarely manage it :-(