Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outings (again)

Evening All

We do regular visits for the local woods with our children. We have a outing policy, risk assessment etc.

We have a member of staff that doesn't want to go on outings. This is because there was a report on Facebook recently about two teenage girls being approached in the woods by some teenage boys.

We obviously understand their concern and thank them for bringing this to our  attention. We will update our risk assessment but the committee agree that although unpleasant this sort of event could happen at any time on any outing and probably wouldn't happen where a group of adults are present at 10-11am. We feel the outings are part of our ethos and something we wish to continue unless there are more reports of such incidents.

Thoughts? We take two mobile phones, minimum 3 adults. The walk is 10 mins tops from the nursery.

How would you deal with a member of staff refusing to go on an outing? The job description states staff should have a commitment to the outside environment within the setting and wider opportunity's.

Thanks for listening

C

as an employer you have to be seen to be reasonable.. I am assuming that you need them to go? and that there has been no official reports of an ongoing issue in the area you are going to? if this is the case then I would have a meeting with her and explain that this is part of her job and you require her to attend if she still refuses then i'm afraid I would be going down the disciplinary line...especially if it meant you had to cancel the trip

Thanks finleysmais

The reports are simply Facebook posts on a local community group. Nothing released by police or media. Although obviously we are taking it into account.

We could work around it and the member of staff stays at the setting (we never all go out together). Although is this fair on other staff? 

I think I'll have a word if they say again about not going and is there anything we can do that will make them feel more comfortable about outings otherwise I'll refer to job description and it's part of their role.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C1403 said:

Thanks finleysmais

The reports are simply Facebook posts on a local community group. Nothing released by police or media. Although obviously we are taking it into account.

We could work around it and the member of staff stays at the setting (we never all go out together). Although is this fair on other staff? 

I think I'll have a word if they say again about not going and is there anything we can do that will make them feel more comfortable about outings otherwise I'll refer to job description and it's part of their role.

That sounds like a sound plan to me - good luck

When we had a similar as 'Facebook/smoke signal type scaremongering' about our local park, we rung the police and checked directly, they were able to confirm that it was perfectly safe to go out.  They explained that the issue was real- however it was a personal and not public concern therefore safe for us.

Would staff member accept something like this?

• Like 1