Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

registers and visitors books

CIC

Hello everyone, my sincere apologies if this has been covered already but my search didn't uncover anything.

Does anyone have any info on GDPR compliance of Visitors Books and the Daily Registers? 

Ours are both currently on one sheet printed out from the office and show the names of everyone attending that day.

Is this non compliant? 

Thank you for any feedback.

Our registers are on one sheet per day for a whole half term.- staff complete these and they are kept closed/out of general view.

Visitors are on the bottom of the staff signing in sheet. One sheet covers three weeks. The only details on the visitor sheet is name, reason,  times + signed on way out.

We have a separate weekly sheet for the children covering all the days, that is kept in a clip folder which is closed when not in use so can't be seen by any random visitor.

We have a daily log book sheet, on each page we have a simple risk check to be ticked off, a to do list, a note  of any minor incident, staff sign in /out and a visitor log,, so basically any of the everyday things in "pretty zones" on the one A4 page     The only extra thing we have on the visitor sign in portion is ID checked column, which we would initial,  this was at the suggestion of our LA Advisor, together with a copy of our visitor's policy for them to read through before signing in.    

I think as long as these pieces of information are not on general display for anyone to glance at in passing, or have a good nose at while signing in you will be ok.  If your stuff is on computer, make sure you have a screen saver which reacts quickly or you can close down the lid on a laptop.

Edited by Panders

9 hours ago, Panders said:

The only extra thing we have on the visitor sign in portion is ID checked column, which we would initial,  this was at the suggestion of our LA Advisor, together with a copy of our visitor's policy for them to read through before signing in.    

I think as long as these pieces of information are not on general display for anyone to glance at in passing, or have a good nose at while signing in you will be ok.  If your stuff is on computer, make sure you have a screen saver which reacts quickly or you can close down the lid on a laptop.

Do you check the ID of all visitors? Including possible new parents or just 'any others' like meter readers, workmen etc?

4 minutes ago, Panders said:

I have only ever checked the ID of official visitors from LA, Ofsted and workmen.   Not prospective parents, that makes me feel a bit cringy!

I would expect them to visit with their child so have never asked them for id

2 hours ago, Panders said:

I have only ever checked the ID of official visitors from LA, Ofsted and workmen.   Not prospective parents, that makes me feel a bit cringy!

xDxD  You just made me panic when you mentioned a section for ID checked!   We do check the above - but not prospective parents xD

I might add an ID tick box for the official type workers now though I think.O.o

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I would expect them to visit with their child so have never asked them for id

No, we don't either, however we do have a few visit without their children :o  But that's because they are at the full day care up the road from us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a few not bring their children along too, and I always ask them to it's as much a child's choice as anything else.  I often wonder why parents wouldn't bring them, makes we wonder if there is something to hideO.o   but yes, some are already in another setting, we did have a bit of a run on having families desert one setting for us, it was as if I were doing the poaching, but definitely not, just parents talking to other parents as they do.

1 hour ago, Panders said:

I've had a few not bring their children along too, and I always ask them to it's as much a child's choice as anything else.  I often wonder why parents wouldn't bring them, makes we wonder if there is something to hideO.o   but yes, some are already in another setting, we did have a bit of a run on having families desert one setting for us, it was as if I were doing the poaching, but definitely not, just parents talking to other parents as they do.

We sort of have this too. With us they tend to start at the full day as they take babies, then once the child is funded they often share with us as the grandparents  also seem take on more of a role in their care.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Panders said:

Same here, official visitors first time of meeting (like salt, portage, LA etc), Ofsted always, it’s not often these days you can’t find a pic of an unknown parent when they make an appointment to visit (that is a bit stalky I know) and we are situated where they can’t just walk in and knock the door, a new community policeman had visited school then came to us, I asked for ID and they were quite put out saying no one else had, they were even more put out when I said they could have got their outfit from fancy dress r us :-/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

But Mousie, sooooo true.    If you really wanted to make some kind of mischief you would go all out to  look like the real deal surely.   Must be a known thing that people tend to believe anyone that wears a uniform, or appears to be official.

• Like 2

a few years back we had a teacher turn up to visit - our LA said all teachers would carry ID badges for visits - this teacher didn't and had no other  ID on her - I phoned the school and asked them to give a description of the teacher ! they were a bit put out but I said as we had never seen her before and she had no ID then I needed to ensure she was who she said she was. 9_9

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I was worried we would have to have an individual page for each visitor so that you couldn't see who else was visiting, e.g. social workers, family support workers etc.

54 minutes ago, CIC said:

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. I was worried we would have to have an individual page for each visitor so that you couldn't see who else was visiting, e.g. social workers, family support workers etc.

Our support works etc alway put 'visiting child' never names.  We would have other information elsewhere as to which child should they ever need to be checked.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)