Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

GDPR- emergency contacts details?

Hello everyone!

OK lets talk GDPR! ¬¬

On our current enrolement forms we have emergency contacts in case the parents cannot be contacted. The data contains name, relationship to child and a contact number. The parents provide these details not the emergency contact. Anyone know if this is ok!

I have a huge headache just from completing the audit and letters to go out!

Thanks all,

Kelly

On our enrolment form (here in the resources section) we have this statement "Please ensure that you tell any additional adults that you have given us their contact details so that we can contact them if we are unable to speak to you if your child is unwell, has an accident or is uncollected at the end of the session. If they have any questions or queries regarding this, please direct them to contact xxxxxx on xxxxxxx. Thank you"

We took the view that it is reasonable (and that is key) to expect the parents to ask/inform the additional adults that they were giving their number to the setting. As long as you are only using the number for the purposes of contact in an emergency (so, not to invite them to your summer fete for example) then we decided it was a legitimate use. 

At our nursery, we do ask to meet all additional adults, with the parents / carers, before the opportunity for them to collect the child arises - we will tell them that we have their name and number and get their verbal agreement.

my feeling is...and this is just my thoughts that if you are putting someone's name down on a form then it is up to you as the giver to ensure it is ok. If you fill in forms for doctors/dentists and indeed passports you are asked for next of kin or emergency contacts. There is nothing that suggests you have to get them to sign. It assumes that you have the legal right to put these names on the form. It is not up to us as a setting to check this. I guess if you wanted to you could add a box saying do you have their permission to put their details on???

BTW hopetg who was running the course? there is already an awful lot of misinformation going around!!

• Like 1

I also just added a line under those contacts saying ‘have they given you consent to add them to this form:  Yes / No 

this had made me think about point 12 (which I was ignoring), I do have a form where an authorised person could take 2 days to get here, would an international phone call count :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

this had made me think about point 12 (which I was ignoring), I do have a form where an authorised person could take 2 days to get here, would an international phone call count :P

Well, I hope you'll charge at late fee whist waiting

I agree with the above and think the onus should be on the parent to inform the emergency contact and to be honest it is very unlikely they would put them down if they had not agreed - whole business is a minefield and doing my head in!! I asked the question about how likely it was that a small setting would be checked and the answer was very unlikely unless there was a serious breach and I think we already do everything to prevent that anyway.  I will do an audit add a few bits to my letters, send out a Privacy Notice and try not to stress about it.  :D

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)