Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bicycle helmet legislation for Nursery

Hi,

We have some tricycles in our Pre-Nursery and Nursery. Our children range in age from 2-5 years old. The children ride the trikes along a sort of path way in an enclosed area that is part of our outdoor free-flow area.

Can someone please tell me what the current legal requirements are for wearing helmets in a child care setting? 

Thanks!

having done a bit of research i cannot find any evidence that you need to wear a helmet. However if you risk assess it and feel it is necessary then go for it. I would add a word of warning though that if you are going to use them PLEASE ensure they are fitted correctly or they will be of no use.

Maybe a way round it would be to create more challenges in your bike area so that the children go slower and think about what they are doing:)

• Like 1

They would need to be fitted for each child, this would take time and knowledge on correct fitting..this would include correct size for child's head measurement and adjusting straps.. In addition not all are the same shape so they also need to be the correct shape for the child's head. If not correctly fitted they can be more harmful than not wearing one.. 

Most sites suggest wearing one when on 2 wheels.. so do some research and risk assess.. not seen any legislation for them in nursery.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your replies.

I couldn't find any legislation either but a parent had asked me about it so I thought someone else might know the answer! 

To be honest, it had never really crossed my mind to supply helmets.....

Yes, and also when we tried to enforce it in our setting we had trouble with children removing the helmets and flinging them to the floor when they wanted to go off and play somewhere else - so they were cracked and also hurt other children when they were 'flung'! We don't have them now - not a problem :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)