Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Appraisals

We do one appraisal and one appraisal review (when we go back of the 'to do' list from the appraisal) so that we don't leave it a year before someone reminds me that they wanted to do a particular course! We have as many supervisions as we want - any member of staff can trigger them with any other member or staff or management team to talk about anything - it's worked really well so far.

The Statutory Framework does not specify the number, nor the nature of supervisions - only what they should cover. We also have regular peer observations which helps with some of the practice aspects of the supervision.

3.21.Providers must put appropriate arrangements in place for the supervision of staff who have contact with children and families. Effective supervision provides support, coaching and training for the practitioner and promotes the interests of children. Supervision should foster a culture of mutual support, teamwork and continuous improvement, which encourages the confidential discussion of sensitive issues.
3.22.Supervision should provide opportunities for staff to: • discuss any issues – particularly concerning children’s development or wellbeing, including child protection concerns • identify solutions to address issues as they arise • receive coaching to improve their personal effectiveness

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Can I ask what you feel the benefit is between the two? Would a supervision suffice? Or should we be going through Job description etc in an appraisal rather than a general catch up in a supervision. Felling confused as to what to do?!?:/

Can I also ask while we're on the subject how you all fit these in?? I am really struggling to find time ...we've been under staffed for a year now and i'm on the floor constantly ...can't take myself AND another member off the floor to do these...anyone any sensible solutions????? we already work 8-15 -6 !

• Like 1

I have decided for our supervision’s that we are going to do these as a group in a staff meeting.  Including me there is only now four of us.  We have all worked together for years are a really close team and all work closely in the same room.    I actually think it will be beneficial to all sit down together and have the time to go through every together.  Obviously if anyone has anything private to discuss then that is different.  Like finleysmaid it’s hard to find the time.  Appraisals will be done privately obviously!

On 11/26/2017 at 09:52, skippy said:

Thank you. Can I ask what you feel the benefit is between the two? Would a supervision suffice? Or should we be going through Job description etc in an appraisal rather than a general catch up in a supervision. Felling confused as to what to do?!?:/

We feel that the appraisals are about CPD and focus on the person themselves. The supervisions tend to be more about their role in the team, their key children and any 'matters arising'

23 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Can I also ask while we're on the subject how you all fit these in?? I am really struggling to find time ...we've been under staffed for a year now and i'm on the floor constantly ...can't take myself AND another member off the floor to do these...anyone any sensible solutions????? we already work 8-15 -6 !

I'm afraid we employ lots of staff and so are always over staffed, except when there is a D+V bug or flu going round. That means staff get release time regularly and there is time for meetings. That is my choice though. I know that's not the situation everyone finds themselves in, but we cost for it every year and charge accordingly.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:05, finleysmaid said:

fm as you know we are a very small staff team - we work over ratio so it is not enormously difficult to grab ten minutes and ten minutes is about all the time we need.........apart from one occasion when there was a 'bit of trouble at t'mill' - at that time we met before the children arrived - but ours don't arrive until 9am so that is not a problem......

I can understand why you are struggling to find the time

• Confused 1

On 11/27/2017 at 20:19, donnaduff1 said:

Following this topic with interest does anyone have any templates for both supervision and appraisal please.

Here is an Appraisal template - not my work - think it came from here originallyAppraisal_Form_X_Pre_school.doc

Supervision - mine Are like this:

Safeguarding concerns

Changes since last declaration (staff suitability declaration)

Key Children (here we have a brief discussion around each child)

Progress updates (here we discuss/agree timing for next update)

Focused observations (here we discuss timing for these and possible subject matter)

Training undertaken since last supervision

Training booked

Training required

Any other issues/concerns

I would never claim that this is the right way to go about supervisions but it works for us:)

I commented earlier that these supervisions usually take about ten minutes (this got me a confused emoji from fm:D) but they really do take very little time - probably because we all work in the same room and will have already discussed all of this during our working days - this is just getting it all down in one place and in writing!

Hope that helps

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sunnyday said:

I would never claim that this is the right way to go about supervisions but it works for us:)

I commented earlier that these supervisions usually take about ten minutes (this got me a confused emoji from fm:D) but they really do take very little time - probably because we all work in the same room and will have already discussed all of this during our working days - this is just getting it all down in one place and in writing!

Hope that helps

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Sunnyday, we are a team of four and work in the same small room together, we have thirty minutes setting up time together where we do nothing but talk, discuss and dissect!  It just does not get written down.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zigzag said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Sunnyday, we are a team of four and work in the same small room together, we have thirty minutes setting up time together where we do nothing but talk, discuss and dissect!  It just does not get written down.

I think this is perfectly acceptable ... just be sure that there is a mechanism in place for one member of staff to raise concerns about another member of staff privately. I know that following the awful case in Plymouth, the ability for staff to raise concerns privately became more significant. Even though you are a long established team you need to be sure you have a clear procedure / way to handle the 'what if?' scenario. Every member of staff needs to be able to raise concerns about any other (which is why we have the 'I would like a meeting' forms - this enables even the junior apprentice to raise concerns with a Director without having to go through an escalation process). Hope that makes sense! :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I think this is perfectly acceptable ... just be sure that there is a mechanism in place for one member of staff to raise concerns about another member of staff privately. I know that following the awful case in Plymouth, the ability for staff to raise concerns privately became more significant. Even though you are a long established team you need to be sure you have a clear procedure / way to handle the 'what if?' scenario. Every member of staff needs to be able to raise concerns about any other (which is why we have the 'I would like a meeting' forms - this enables even the junior apprentice to raise concerns with a Director without having to go through an escalation process). Hope that makes sense! :)

Covered - but a good reminder!

• Like 1