Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Sustainability documents

FSFRebecca

This lovely lot of documents popped into my email inbox this afternoon - I haven't had a chance to look through them yet - but I thought you might appreciate a little light reading!! Some may be duplicates as there were lots of links and some seemed to go back on themselves!

Policy paper: Supporting early years providers to run sustainable businesses

Early years business sustainability: supplier list and guides

Sources of income for early years providers

Finance and support for your business

Business insights from successful early years providers

Thanks Rebecca. I have looked at a couple and I have not spotted anything new.

sorry if I am sounding a bit negative but some of the ideas about marketing and undrstanding "the peaks and troughs" really do not help.

yes in theory I do not need as many staff in September as I do in April but not sure that paying them redundancy in July to re hire them in April helps much. Yes I know from April 2018 when I rehire them that they could be on zero hour contracts but this does not fit nicely with me as a person.

I have worked in a setting where we lucky enough to have a member of the team who was happy just to do cover in autumn term and then build up her hours. We were unbelievably lucky to find someone qualified and who wanted to work more than she needed the money. But there really are not too many people like that out there.

Not sure how we can be sustainable and run the funded +15 hours.

Edited by LKeyteach

so found this...

A2.5 Evidence shows that continuous provision is in the best interests of the child. Where it is reasonably practicable local authorities should ensure that children are able to take up their free hours in continuous blocks and avoid artificial breaks being created throughout the day, for example over the lunch period.

so guess this puts in jeopardy my plans (already suggested to parents who are happy with it!!) of two sessions funded and a lunch period paid for?????!!!!! really don't know how I can make any money without doing this. My parents will not pay for additional hours so don't really know how i'm going to do this now!

so guess this puts in jeopardy my plans (already suggested to parents who are happy with it!!) of two sessions funded and a lunch period paid for?????!!!!! really don't know how I can make any money without doing this. My parents will not pay for additional hours so don't really know how i'm going to do this now!

Do whatever works for you.......

Can't be worrying about 'ideals' over 'sustainability'..........and that's exactly what I would say to any 'official' visitors who query your method of delivery (and under my breath I would add 'so there')

• Like 4

Yes I know from April 2018 when I rehire them that they could be on zero hour contracts but this does not fit nicely with me as a person.

I've not read or linked to the documents - but I fully agree with Lk

To me this also smacks as another 'downgrading' the value of early years staff. If you're on a zero hours contract why not just get a job in Poundland or similar - at least in that job role you will get paid for the hours you actually work -unlike all the unpaid hours most of our staff our staff work.

• Like 1

also the majority of staff need to know hours they will be working - not going up and down. I know it is hard in September re staffing but to be hired/let go etc doesn't make anyone feel valuable and sure they will move on somewhere else like Poundland where they know the hours they get will be there for them each week.

EY staff are paid low enough, not setting fault it's the money Government give us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)