Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm an SEN blogger!

A couple of friends and I have decided to write a blog, primarily to share some of the knowledge we have gained over the years of trying to get appropriate educational provision for our children who have autism. We have done it in the hope of helping and empowering other parents who are in the same boat.

I've called myself Rosie and Jo's mum (not my girls' real names).

Some of it is quite hard to read because our children now have very significant needs but there is also information on there that we would have really benefited from earlier on in our journeys.

We would like lots of parents to see it so, if you have an opportunity, please share it with people who might benefit from it.

I've linked to my own blog posts here but it's well worth exploring the other posts too.

https://itmustbemum.wordpress.com/category/rosie-and-jos-mum/

Feedback would be greatly appreciated too.

• Like 8

I've dipped in and will go back later!

It can be very cathartic writing down your thoughts (I often write a rant and then go back and re-read the next day to see if I feel the same as I did in the heat of the moment!)

As a parent of a child with an additional need (dyslexia) I feel a tiny bit of your pain...though my journey is not anywhere near as difficult as yours I do recognise some of the elements (like the idiot who set her SMART target as improving her spelling!!!)

And as a practitioner who has worked for 17 out of my 18 years with children who have ASD, medical conditions and learning difficulties I have also come across more than my fair share of untrained, ill educated and quite frankly stupid 'professionals' I also feel some of your frustration.

Perhaps you and your fellow bloggers could produce some helpful hints pages for parents and carers but also for EY practitioners and school support staff and teachers??? the lovely people on the forum could then ensure these are distributed!!

I know I spoke to a head teacher who told me her training on SEND was limited to a couple of days in her training ...she was mortified that this was the case but had been put in a position where she was now a senco and hadn't really got a clue!

Whatever you do I hope it helps you and your friends and maybe along the way some other people will learn something!

:wub: :1b
  • Like 1

A couple of friends and I have decided to write a blog, primarily to share some of the knowledge we have gained over the years of trying to get appropriate educational provision for our children who have autism. We have done it in the hope of helping and empowering other parents who are in the same boat.

I've called myself Rosie and Jo's mum (not my girls' real names).

Some of it is quite hard to read because our children now have very significant needs but there is also information on there that we would have really benefited from earlier on in our journeys.

We would like lots of parents to see it so, if you have an opportunity, please share it with people who might benefit from it.

I've linked to my own blog posts here but it's well worth exploring the other posts too.

https://itmustbemum.wordpress.com/category/rosie-and-jos-mum/

Feedback would be greatly appreciated too.

read this - can't feel the pain and frustration you must feel daily but hopefully by writing it down it has helped you and will also help many others who feel the same as you and are going through similar situations - keep doing what you are doing but make sure you take care of yourself too, that is very important.

Thank you for the lovely supportive responses. It does make a huge difference.

I will have a think about some hints and tips for Early Years practitioners and school staff. I know that a big issue is the lack of training and the degree of misinformation coming from LAs. We will need to make sure that anything we write is constructive and realistic so I might come back here and ask for some feedback on it.

I would like to 'like' the individual posts but I don't seem to be able to like anything any more so please take that as read xx

• Like 3