Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Visitors' phones

Wildflowers

We don't frisk our visitors - we tell then they cannot use phones, and never leave the unattended.......... we even go in the toilets with 'should' they ask to use them.

PS- should add we wouldn't go in the actual cubical with them :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Well we do :o :lol:

To be fair we do not actually have a setting mobile (that's a whole other story!!!! :angry: ).........and when on outing we are always in public spaces anyway, and never just one staff member- so I cant really see the point of banning personal phones.

When we had our inspection earlier this year I had a lengthy discussion about why I allow my staff to keep their mobiles phone switched on - they are kept well out of reach, and in full sight of all staff.

My argument is - simply the world has changed, and my staff work various hours term-time only. Staff have various dependents - elderly parents, young children, ill relatives.

In this day and age in a real emergency the caller is not going to think 'hang on, today is 'xxx' so i'll need to ring such and such number' They need a reliable emergency contact and that is probably going to be the mobile one!

That said - We are all mature staff that know how to use a mobile just as phone :lol: . If we ever had any 'issues' with inappropriate use I would change our policy. I will also add the phones very rarely ring during the day as staff tell friends and family when not to ring. They are kept in a clear plastic box.

Funny thing was- on the day the inspect herself had an unexpected emergency call regarding her own son being taken ill at school :rolleyes:

x

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1

Currently ours are in staff pocket, but I realised that an inspector may say that, potentially, they could take them out to photograph or film a child when having a wee behind a tree. We are all together, seeing each other (and truly believe that my colleagues never would do such a thing), but I feel it would be such a shame if we were put down for this. Phones in a plastic box in the rucksack is a good idea!

Currently ours are in staff pocket, but I realised that an inspector may say that, potentially, they could take them out to photograph or film a child when having a wee behind a tree. We are all together, seeing each other (and truly believe that my colleagues never would do such a thing), but I feel it would be such a shame if we were put down for this. Phones in a plastic box in the rucksack is a good idea!

Are you on private land? Otherwise technically anyone could be around hiding and taking photos anyway - you cant stop doing things 'just because' - I guess that's where the old risk assessments (and common sense) come into force.

Our inspector told us it was down to us what we had in our policy, and after our chat she could see why ours was as it was.

I'd be far happier to go out with 5 personal phones rather than one 'work' phone that might/might not get a signal in an emergency.

Ofsted make's us all paranoid, and doubt our own reasoning :( . What doesn't help is the inconsistences with Ofsted itself.

• Like 2

I wrote that we see each other all the time, but of course we don't - we look at the children, or what they are looking at, rather than at each other! If a staff member really wanted to get pictures of toileting children, then it is possible... (Where I come from, some children are naked on the beach, though probably less now than when I grew up.)

• Like 1

If someone wants to take photos of children for illegal use, then they could easily claim to have put their phone in the bag, or if checked if done, then put another phone or camera in their pocket. If one is into child abuse, then it is not difficult to get the photos when unsupervised by other staff.

• Like 1

If someone wants to take photos of children for illegal use, then they could easily claim to have put their phone in the bag, or if checked if done, then put another phone or camera in their pocket. If one is into child abuse, then it is not difficult to get the photos when unsupervised by other staff.

And if staff really want pictures they can just have a memory card tucked away and quickly swap over when using the settings own camera- which they can easily carry around all day long!

(that's not meant to sound sarcastic - just pointing out the reality of the fact if someone is determined they will find a way)

• Like 2

I wouldn't be happy about staff having their phones in their back pockets while they are working - I don't think it matters how well you know your staff team I would not be happy with this as a precedent. What about if a new member of staff started and you didn't know them well - even if you'd done the DBS checks you can never be sure, would you let them have their phone on them? If you didn't then they could say you were discriminating against them because other staff were allowed to have their own phone.

I totally agree that if one were intent on taking inappropriate images one could find a way but that's not a reason to make it easy. I'm not suggesting for a moment that your staff are up to no good but having a robust 'no personal phones' in the vicinity of children clears up any potential misunderstandings. If you ever did have any doubts it would be much easier to search the history on a mobile phone that belonged to the setting rather than one that belonged to staff. I think that having a setting mobile that is kept in a clear zippy wallet and is available in an emergency is the way to go for outings - if there are issues with signal coverage then make sure your setting phone is linked to the network that does get coverage. If you're worried about the setting phone failing I would have two phones with two different pay as you go SIMS in. A cheap mobile phone costs £12.99 and you can buy a top up payment cheaply too.

• Like 3

a setting mobile that is kept in a clear zippy wallet

WHY??

We also have issues with phone signals...and it won't matter what system your on...it's the queen's fault as she has suppressors on the castle! we do have a pre-school mobile but this is often kept with the admin officer (who works from home) so there are times when we do not have it on site. We could not afford to have another phone so there are times when we go out with a staff phone...either mine or my deputies. It is kept in the grab bag on outings and we supervise each other so how would a 'private' picture be taken? If you have a rigorous policy and you stick to it then you should be fine.... :wacko:

WHY??

We also have issues with phone signals...and it won't matter what system your on...it's the queen's fault as she has suppressors on the castle! we do have a pre-school mobile but this is often kept with the admin officer (who works from home) so there are times when we do not have it on site. We could not afford to have another phone so there are times when we go out with a staff phone...either mine or my deputies. It is kept in the grab bag on outings and we supervise each other so how would a 'private' picture be taken? If you have a rigorous policy and you stick to it then you should be fine.... :wacko:

Clear zippy wallet - because they're on outings and it might get wet and it will save scrabbling about in an emergency to find it

Clear zippy wallet - because they're on outings and it might get wet and it will save scrabbling about in an emergency to find it

:lol: :lol: Put like that!

Actually I might go for the clear zippy bag in the setting. Currently they are put in a clear box, but a bag takes less room and as a packaway we are all was looking for spacesaving ideas.

Obviously the phone already kept well out of children view ect - but we can hang a zippybag up :1b :1b

I'm well chuffed with this tip. (bit of a 'light bulb' moment idea!!!)

• Like 2

:lol: :lol: Put like that!

Actually I might go for the clear zippy bag in the setting. Currently they are put in a clear box, but a bag takes less room and as a packaway we are all was looking for spacesaving ideas.

Obviously the phone already kept well out of children view ect - but we can hang a zippybag up :1b :1b

I'm well chuffed with this tip. (bit of a 'light bulb' moment idea!!!)

Happy to help ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)