Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

I fully get that those still open need compensating ....some are losing a lot of money by staying open but surely that is just wrong and you bet if they get away with it other counties will follow 😠 it would be interesting to know how many children are still in settings to warrant withholding 20% of all the closed settings funding ...sounds like a win win for Wiltshire! 

• Like 2

Morning all - so 'it's Friday again' - 4 weeks now since closure.....

I am getting a bit 'jittery' about when we will be expected to return - some minister or other, oh think it might have been IDS has been calling for 11th May - I'm still thinking that it might be 1st June.....I won't be able to go back then as Mr S is on the shielding list but I'm sure that my team will do so if required....

Thing is - what we will be 'different', how will it be any safer than when we closed, how can you successfully 'social distance' with the under fives?

Would love to hear your thoughts

• Like 1

Sunnyday I am dreading going back sooner rather than later. How on earth will we manage distancing with children, it just will be impossible and unworkable, not to mention the practical side of maintaining the cleaning of toys to a high enough standard.  We all know how we are sneezed and coughed over in normal circumstances how do we reduce that risk? I am watching Denmark with interest as they have just opened all Nursery and primary schools.  (Have you seen Whuan has had an increase of 50% since they came out of lockdown)  Not to mention the same old problem of parents saying “well they are not well, but they wanted to come”. 

Just read this back when I posted it and it comes over as very selfish, when I think about what the NHS frontline staff are risking everyday.  But I can’t help how worried returning to school is making me feel.

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 1

I'm jittery - our setting is being used for emergency rest area. Although I'm not sure this has actually been put into action yet. Not sure what will happen if we can re-open if they still need it though? O.o

There is another hall, very near that we could possibly use- but I would need to get ofsted approval first o.O  I have read somewhere that Ofsted are doing 'photo' reviews etc for registration visits, but not sure how quick they'd be able to approve anything. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Sunnyday I am dreading going back sooner rather than later. How on earth will we manage distancing with children, it just will be impossible and unworkable, not to mention the practical side of maintaining the cleaning of toys to a high enough standard.  We all know how we are sneezed and coughed over in normal circumstances how do we reduce that risk? I am watching Denmark with interest as they have just opened all Nursery and primary schools.  (Have you seen Whuan has had an increase of 50% since they came out of lockdown)  Not to mention the same old problem of parents saying “well they are not well, but they wanted to come”. 

Just read this back when I posted it and it comes over as very selfish, when I think about what the NHS frontline staff are risking everyday.  But I can’t help how worried returning to school is making me feel.

Have you seen the restrictions Denmark has in place?  Only 10 children to a room - we'd be stuffed as we only have one big room- even if my other previous option went ahead it would be one MUCH smaller room.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

oh no just found out the Book people have gone out of business!:(

Just looked it up, and it seems they went into administration mid December :o  So the closing sale down sale that's been going for three months was real.

57 minutes ago, zigzag said:

51 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I'm jittery - our setting is being used for emergency rest area. Although I'm not sure this has actually been put into action yet. Not sure what will happen if we can re-open if they still need it though? O.o

There is another hall, very near that we could possibly use- but I would need to get ofsted approval first o.O  I have read somewhere that Ofsted are doing 'photo' reviews etc for registration visits, but not sure how quick they'd be able to approve anything. 

Thank you both so much for sharing your thoughts, I'm glad it's not 'just me' having the 'jitters' - I can't imagine how we can make our settings safe for the children or adults :(

Once again, thank goodness for this forum where we can share our concerns

I know what you mean zigzag about feeling 'selfish' when the NHS frontline workers are risking their lives daily (also worry about supermarket workforce)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Have you seen the restrictions Denmark has in place?  Only 10 children to a room - we'd be stuffed as we only have one big room- even if my other previous option went ahead it would be one MUCH smaller room.

Even if we were able to set a limit of 10 children per room - how could we keep them apart - it's not like school where they could (possibly) sit at separate tables, not that I think that would be workable for Primary schools particularly Reception - I wonder how they are managing break times.....

I watched a Channel 4 programme on catch up yesterday evening (it aired on 15th) it came from Kent - apparently we have the third biggest number of infected patients outside of London and Birmingham (didn't say which other two areas were more affected than Kent) - wish I hadn't watched it really

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Even if we were able to set a limit of 10 children per room - how could we keep them apart - it's not like school where they could (possibly) sit at separate tables, not that I think that would be workable for Primary schools particularly Reception - I wonder how they are managing break times.....

I was listening to someone yesterday talking about Germany considering re-opening schools but for older pupils where as other countries seem to be suggesting the youngest sectors go back first ....and let’s face it Germany seem to be managing it better than other countries seem to be 🤔  

• Like 2

I watched a Channel 4 programme on catch up yesterday evening (it aired on 15th) it came from Kent - apparently we have the third biggest number of infected patients outside of London and Birmingham (didn't say which other two areas were more affected than Kent) - wish I hadn't watched it really

the answer to that is our area! 

There are already some guidelines about about social distancing with the under 5's. A lot of it is about simple hygiene which we already do and restricting adults coming in to the building...i can't go back yet i haven't finished the decoratingxD  

in my head i have said beginning of June ...but who knows!

I think Essex is the next biggest :(.  I know it was a one point, and we had a death in our local hospital very early on.

Essex LOVES to rent out empty office blocks for housing overflows from London boroughs.  They are disgusting places that no-one should be housed in :(, I'm sure this can't help the situation in Essex - the poor people are in one room,  often with shared facilities.

I have similar mixed feelings about going back to work.  I am really missing the routine though - am quite happy at home but would happily pootle all day with a bit of crochet/reading/baking but I actually have work that I must do but am avoiding!  Plus my house is freezing!

The above sentence pretty much describes what I've been up to this week. The crochet production now includes a tea cosy and a sheep with a rainbow jumper and some Easter bunting.  I think I've figured out what I want to do with the wool left over from my spring blanket and that will be a slightly longer project!  I'm planning a supermarket trip tomorrow plus I have my niece's virtual 8th birthday party at 11am.  I really must do some cleaning too - I really don't understand how one person can create so much mess!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

the answer to that is our area! 

There are already some guidelines about about social distancing with the under 5's. A lot of it is about simple hygiene which we already do and restricting adults coming in to the building...i can't go back yet i haven't finished the decoratingxD  

in my head i have said beginning of June ...but who knows!

45 minutes ago, louby loo said:

I think Essex is the next biggest :(.  I know it was a one point, and we had a death in our local hospital very early on.

Essex LOVES to rent out empty office blocks for housing overflows from London boroughs.  They are disgusting places that no-one should be housed in :(, I'm sure this can't help the situation in Essex - the poor people are in one room,  often with shared facilities.

Oh goodness fm and louby - sorry, I really didn't know which areas had more cases than Kent......

fm - are you feeling 'okay' about going back in June?

11 minutes ago, sunnyday said:

Oh goodness fm and louby - sorry, I really didn't know which areas had more cases than Kent......

fm - are you feeling 'okay' about going back in June?

I'd rather go back for a while before the summer. My worry is that parents are going to have to catch up at work and may need us to work over the holidays but we can't really do that. As long as i have some time with the children to prep them for school and to let them be normal again that would be great otherwise i think going straight in to school where they will not be given time to 'be' i think might do quite a lot of damage...and lots of long term issues.

(I think our local area that has had lots of CV19 issues may be included in a bigger region ...!) 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, finleysmaid said:

I'd rather go back for a while before the summer. My worry is that parents are going to have to catch up at work and may need us to work over the holidays but we can't really do that. As long as i have some time with the children to prep them for school and to let them be normal again that would be great otherwise i think going straight in to school where they will not be given time to 'be' i think might do quite a lot of damage...and lots of long term issues.

(I think our local area that has had lots of CV19 issues may be included in a bigger region ...!) 

Thanks fm - I have always wanted to go back in June for the same reasons, but now I can't get passed the idea of 'what's different/how is it safer than when we closed' - I think I need to stop dwelling on it and wait to see what happens next

Has anyone thought about any practical steps we can take to reduce risk whenever we return? I guess we will get support and advice but I am thinking of; This is just early ideas that have been swirling around in my head.

Reducing the amount of toys/resources we have available on a daily basis and all toys have to be cleaned at the end of the day.

Parents do not enter the setting, children are dropped and collected at the door.

Book bags and book borrowing will no longer take place.

Children's bags on pegs with spare clothes in are not taken home but refilled in situ.

Children with signs of any type of illness, temperature etc will be excluded.

• Like 1

This is a hot topic on FB keeping early year’s unique page at the moment.  Someone has written the following letter to their MP.

I feel we will be thrown under the bus. I wrote to my MP yesterday :

I hope this finds you safe and healthy.

I am a primary school teacher, teaching Reception.

I am deeply troubled by the recent talk of schools reopening in May. I write to ask you to please raise my concerns (which many of my colleagues share) once parliament reopens.

I am deeply sceptical of the very limited study which claims that school closures have minimal impact on the spread of Coronavirus. In the weeks before school closed, I spent most of my time and energy reminding my pupils to wash their hands. Which they did with varying degrees of efficacy, only to then put their hands straight back up their noses, into their mouths or into their pants, and then would touch door handles, furniture, each other or the pens and resources. Even where children are given their own pens to use all day (really hard to monitor or enforce in Reception) they forget, share, pass pens to each other, swap lids by mistake, put these in their mouths... Children (especially the very young) do not understand social distancing. They play together, they share resources, they hug and dance and hold hands. It is not possible to stop this and trying to do so is damaging to them.

This is particularly true because most schools are not vast. They have corridors, narrow corridors at that, and small classrooms. There is not the space to seat children 6 feet apart. Carpet sessions cannot be delivered as children can't sit together on the carpet. In EYFS especially, children don't usually have table spaces and are generally taught between carpet sessions and free flow play based learning. You cannot be socially distant in EYFS.

Paul Cosford of PHE has been quoted as saying 'children are at very low risk of getting complications from this disease.' That's all well and good, but children are not the only people who attend schools. Are staff essentially being sent in as cannon fodder? Does it not matter if/when we get the virus? What about the parents gathering in swarms to drop off and pick up children? What about the grandparents? Children are not alone at school, there are adults there. Children are not alone at home, there are adults there. Schools reopening will put adults and children alike at a hugely increased risk. Even if it were available, staff cannot wear PPE and teach. Children cannot hear teachers talking through masks. It cannot work. Cleaning supplies and sanitiser is hard to come by. It feels as if teachers are being sacrificed for the economy.

Shielding for the vulnerable is not due to end/be reviewed until mid June. How are schools to run effectively, if at all, with huge numbers of staff absent? My children's school has dozens of staff shielding, including the head teacher. How can that be managed?

I am working incredibly hard to teach and reassure and care for my pupils at a distance, and work hard when I go in for key worker children, and I find it terrifying. Every time I come home I wonder if I have brought the virus home to my own family, as my sister and her husband (front line NHS staff) have. It is scary. And that is for half a class worth of children. I miss my class so much and I would love to be working with them again, but only when it is safe.

As a mother, I do not want my children at school until it is safe. Safe. Not slightly reduced risk.

Please, please, speak for us. We are scared and we deserve to be safe. So do our children.

• Thanks 1

We started doing the drop off/chuck em out at the very start (re- one of the first deaths was in our locality) - this actually worked really well for us and the parents loved it!

I think in Denmark some of the things in place are-

• Small classes- with social distancing in place (not sure how that works for us, but that said 'school' starts later in Denmark and maybe they're not talking the younger age? I haven't looked into that.   The picture I saw had the desks all separated)
  • staggered start times, to aid social distancing, and dropped of at door.
  • Resources minimised and washed twice daily.
  • hand washing hourly? (I might have made that one up!)
  • Temperatures taken at regular intervals.
  • Lots of outdoors - but in small groups rather than all out together.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, zigzag said:

This is a hot topic on FB keeping early year’s unique page at the moment.  Someone has written the following letter to their MP.

I feel we will be thrown under the bus. I wrote to my MP yesterday :

I hope this finds you safe and healthy.

I am a primary school teacher, teaching Reception.

I am deeply troubled by the recent talk of schools reopening in May. I write to ask you to please raise my concerns (which many of my colleagues share) once parliament reopens.

I am deeply sceptical of the very limited study which claims that school closures have minimal impact on the spread of Coronavirus. In the weeks before school closed, I spent most of my time and energy reminding my pupils to wash their hands. Which they did with varying degrees of efficacy, only to then put their hands straight back up their noses, into their mouths or into their pants, and then would touch door handles, furniture, each other or the pens and resources. Even where children are given their own pens to use all day (really hard to monitor or enforce in Reception) they forget, share, pass pens to each other, swap lids by mistake, put these in their mouths... Children (especially the very young) do not understand social distancing. They play together, they share resources, they hug and dance and hold hands. It is not possible to stop this and trying to do so is damaging to them.

This is particularly true because most schools are not vast. They have corridors, narrow corridors at that, and small classrooms. There is not the space to seat children 6 feet apart. Carpet sessions cannot be delivered as children can't sit together on the carpet. In EYFS especially, children don't usually have table spaces and are generally taught between carpet sessions and free flow play based learning. You cannot be socially distant in EYFS.

Paul Cosford of PHE has been quoted as saying 'children are at very low risk of getting complications from this disease.' That's all well and good, but children are not the only people who attend schools. Are staff essentially being sent in as cannon fodder? Does it not matter if/when we get the virus? What about the parents gathering in swarms to drop off and pick up children? What about the grandparents? Children are not alone at school, there are adults there. Children are not alone at home, there are adults there. Schools reopening will put adults and children alike at a hugely increased risk. Even if it were available, staff cannot wear PPE and teach. Children cannot hear teachers talking through masks. It cannot work. Cleaning supplies and sanitiser is hard to come by. It feels as if teachers are being sacrificed for the economy.

Shielding for the vulnerable is not due to end/be reviewed until mid June. How are schools to run effectively, if at all, with huge numbers of staff absent? My children's school has dozens of staff shielding, including the head teacher. How can that be managed?

I am working incredibly hard to teach and reassure and care for my pupils at a distance, and work hard when I go in for key worker children, and I find it terrifying. Every time I come home I wonder if I have brought the virus home to my own family, as my sister and her husband (front line NHS staff) have. It is scary. And that is for half a class worth of children. I miss my class so much and I would love to be working with them again, but only when it is safe.

As a mother, I do not want my children at school until it is safe. Safe. Not slightly reduced risk.

Please, please, speak for us. We are scared and we deserve to be safe. So do our children.

Thanks zigzag - that person has summed up my feelings exactly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gezabel said:

I am very concerned by the Early Years Alliance now saying there has been a U turn in furlough conditions - not sure what to make of it all now. 

Me too, it’s ridiculous to dump this on us now after we have furloughed staff, I can’t even begin to think how to work the percentages out (probably due to seeing red at the moment) 😡 the funding doesn’t only cover wages, what do they think we pay all our other costs with? We rely on this terms higher income to cover the Autumn term and not have to lay off staff for that term.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, zigzag said:

Thanks for the tip about this FB page - officially I don't 'do' FB but one of my lovely daughters-in-law keeps me logged into her page (mainly so that I can keep an eye on what's being discussed on our 'village page':ph34r:) so I dropped her a quick text yesterday evening saying "please can 'we' follow Keeping Early Years Unique' and she kindly did so - what an interesting group - lost a good hour this morning reading their thoughts - not much else to do here in Cell Block H xD

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip about this FB page - officially I don't 'do' FB but one of my lovely daughters-in-law keeps me logged into her page (mainly so that I can keep an eye on what's being discussed on our 'village page':ph34r:) so I dropped her a quick text yesterday evening saying "please can 'we' follow Keeping Early Years Unique' and she kindly did so - what an interesting group - lost a good hour this morning reading their thoughts - not much else to do here in Cell Block H xD

I don't really do Facebook as such.  I'm on it, and I have five friends- 3 cousin spread far and wide, my elderly next door neighbour, and my daughter- after she got upset that I didn't include her... I did't until she was 100% committed to a relationship xD.  I have nothing to show on my profile, and a  distant shot photo on me aged around 2/3 ish!

We were kind of forced to join when the LA more or less quit all support but recommended a few groups on Facebook!

I do now find it a valuable resource. Obviously the village page is a must xDxD.  We have a Facebook page for the setting- which the parents find hilarious as I'm so useless at adding bits etc.  There a some really good early years support groups on there. 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2020 at 16:54, zigzag said:

Has anyone thought about any practical steps we can take to reduce risk whenever we return? I guess we will get support and advice but I am thinking of; This is just early ideas that have been swirling around in my head.

Reducing the amount of toys/resources we have available on a daily basis and all toys have to be cleaned at the end of the day.

Parents do not enter the setting, children are dropped and collected at the door.

Book bags and book borrowing will no longer take place.

Children's bags on pegs with spare clothes in are not taken home but refilled in situ.

Children with signs of any type of illness, temperature etc will be excluded.

I was awake at 4am this morning with all of this running through my mind - think that I have formulated a 'plan' - need to discuss with my staff team but I propose some radical changes!

I made the mistake of watching the 'press preview' last night and was stunned to hear news of 11th May return - this has been denied by Michael Gove this morning

• Like 1
  • Sad 1