Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

2 hours ago, Mouseketeer said:

Good move on sending another staff member, I’m sure my staff just think I’m making it up when I say there will be more focus on interactions/teaching/knowing their key children well rather than whether I can produce reams of paperwork, I saw a post on FB asking for a quiz for staff in EYIF and inspection ....a quiz? I’d be happy if they just showed an interest in reading any publications that relate to their jobs instead of me having to constantly drip feed it in to them all.

Are you due inspection before the end of this cycle? we were right at the start of this cycle but who knows with so many settings closing you'd think they’d come around quicker 🤷‍♀️ 

I think we share staff xDxD

We had to reregister in  Feb 2018 after the then owner did a bunk owing rather a look of money >:(   We're now 24 months :/  in the 20-30 expected timeframe. 

• Haha 1

Honestly you’d at least think senior staff would show a bit of interest/initiative and read things, I can’t even have a conversation with my deputy about things we need to think about implementing as she never has a clue what I’m talking about :-( 

Good luck when Ofsted arrive, I’ll look forward to hearing how it went :-) 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

Honestly you’d at least think senior staff would show a bit of interest/initiative and read things, I can’t even have a conversation with my deputy about things we need to think about implementing as she never has a clue what I’m talking about :-( 

Good luck when Ofsted arrive, I’ll look forward to hearing how it went :-) 

My staff are all good, and I'm not disputing this... However sometimes I think the job is convenient and fits in with their lifestyle - rather than having a true interest in the job. 

That sound's a bit harsh of me, and I don't mean it a mean way - we all get on very well and it is a happy workplace honest :)  I think I'm just having a moan.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, louby loo said:

My staff are all good, and I'm not disputing this... However sometimes I think the job is convenient and fits in with their lifestyle - rather than having a true interest in the job. 

That sound's a bit harsh of me, and I don't mean it a mean way - we all get on very well and it is a happy workplace honest :)  I think I'm just having a moan.

This is a good place to have a 'moan' and we all need to at times.....

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 09:19, Mouseketeer said:

How are we at the Friday of half term already? 

Hmm - have been asking myself the same question O.o I have been deliberately 'lazy' this week, that came very easily to me :D have gone from someone who is 'never' poorly to someone who has been 'poorly' twice in the last term, with that in mind I have given myself a proper break.

Have to get on with some admin tasks today though, in order to be ready for Monday....

• Like 3

The week before half term I came down with the worst virus I think I have ever had.  It completely knocked me off my feet, I started the week trying to work through it as I never take time off, but it just couldn’t be done. I have had two restful weeks and am almost ‘human’😲 but with a bit still lingering. I have spent a afternoon at work this week just fiddling with layout/resources etc. Also dipped in and out of paperwork as surely Ofsted will come sometime soon, I can’t stand the will they won’t they anymore! We were last inspected in 2014!  Now my head is whirling on seeing if we can extend our opening hours without going bust!  This is where I find conflict with being a committee run pre-school, the parents all want to Chuck their children in as many hours as possible and so will vote for that, so I am the one who has to look at uptake and finances and viability! I am sure they think I am the voice of doom and a spoilsport!

23 minutes ago, zigzag said:

This is where I find conflict with being a committee run pre-school, the parents all want to Chuck their children in as many hours as possible and so will vote for that, so I am the one who has to look at uptake and finances and viability! I am sure they think I am the voice of doom and a spoilsport!

Tell them you can do it if you have a strict  volunteer rota!  

I know what you mean though- we have a parent that has just received her 30 and seems miffed we're not extending our hours to cover it..

Oh my actual goodness where did that week go?:o

Funny old week here - we have had one of our dear little boys in hospital (chest), one set of parents having some fairly awful personal problems, my 'odd' mum has reverted back to full on 'oddness' and the weather has, of course, been dire.....so all in all fairly relieved that it is Friday:ph34r:

Have lunch booked tomorrow with two of my dearest friends and then Sunday lunch will be courtesy of one of my lovely daughters-in-law - so yay - no cooking this weekend!:)

Hope everyone manages to stay safe during storm Jorge - can we please stop with these named storms now, enough already:ph34r:

Are you all being bombarded with info re Coronavirus from your LA's? We are - daily :o

Happy weekend all :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Oh my actual goodness where did that week go?:o

Are you all being bombarded with info re Coronavirus from your LA's? We are - daily :o

Funnily enough NO! I actually had to ask for info.

During swine flu it was daily with posters etc.. this time NOTHING which I find odd as we are quite near an airport, so I'm guessing  a lot of airport staff must live locally and they have to be a general higher risk with lots of people passing through airports? :/   (I'm not actually worried, but I do think we need to be aware of symptoms etc)

I have one staff member going on a hen week-end to Spain next Friday.... she said she might self isolate when she returns for 14 days to recover the weekend xDxD

We have an 'odd parent'!  Not had one for a long time. This one upset as her child had lost a 'yellow thingy' which he brought in...... when asked to describe what it actually was - all she kept saying was 'you know.... a yellow thingy'!!!>:(    Not going to lie, after searching for 5 mins for said 'yellow thingy' most of the staff where prepared to ram a wide variety of 'yellow thingies'  where the sun doesn't shine.  

Heard this week another local setting is closing unless someone wants to take it on. Both my husband and son-in-law looked at me thinking I might like to extend my global empire.... I think my "look' said it all and they went very quiet. xD

• Haha 3

Been a busy one for us ...we haven't been this busy running on such a small number of staff for ever....feel like everything is never quite finished.

I have the last of my new children in for this year and he's a screamer and chuck upper !!! nice!

Corornavirus madness has hit big round here. We have had schools closing for deep cleaning! and lots of stupid parents doing rediculous things (sorry had to be said!)

I have had to write letters to everyone. I was in spain last week so maybe i'll have a couple of weeks off???!! 2 lots just come back from Vietnam ...just been added to the list of possible countriesO.o  Gov .uk  has the most up to date info and specific for each  business area.

On a positive my front garden looking very Springy :D  slightly more annoyingly got called out for the alarms at work at midnight last night.

10 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

Been a busy one for us ...we haven't been this busy running on such a small number of staff for ever....feel like everything is never quite finished.

I have the last of my new children in for this year and he's a screamer and chuck upper !!! nice!

Corornavirus madness has hit big round here. We have had schools closing for deep cleaning! and lots of stupid parents doing rediculous things (sorry had to be said!)

I have had to write letters to everyone. I was in spain last week so maybe i'll have a couple of weeks off???!! 2 lots just come back from Vietnam ...just been added to the list of possible countriesO.o  Gov .uk  has the most up to date info and specific for each  business area.

On a positive my front garden looking very Springy :D  slightly more annoyingly got called out for the alarms at work at midnight last night.

Oh yes you should definitely self isolate for two weeks xD 

• Haha 1

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've not been around much recently; lots of things going on.  I've had a reasonable week - one really horrible day on Tuesday but it didn't manifest into a horrible week!  World Book Day was lovely - we did a vocabulary parade rather than dressing up as a character and there were some fantastic ideas.

Yesterday I had a joyful moment from one of my children in a PSHE lesson who when giving healthy advice said "If you can't decide which fruit juice to have have a cocktail."  It turned out she meant dilute with water but I couldn't help smiling!

My latest crochet blanket is coming on a storm - I'm on the border now and really pleased with it.  I am finding it hard to resist making and get on with the good old TDL.  I do have a fair amount on the TDL this weekend but I'm hoping to stay focused and sort it today leaving nothing much beyond cleaning and governor stuff and crochet for tomorrow!

Hope all are well.

• Like 2

Well I have to say I haven't touched a crochet hook since I finished my year blanket on the 31st Dec!

The yellow thingy turned out to be a 'Hot Wheels" key.... one of the children found it in the construction box. 

All gone a bit crazy re- THE VIRUS.   We had a  confirmed case in our next big town that had no known contact with the source . We've  just stuck with gov advice for everyone entering the setting to wash-hands- to be honest I think our parents love it as they've been dropping off at the door rather than coming in... I think this works well for themxD. Children go straight into a circle time on chairs as they arrive do singing/etc until all children have gradually washed hands (with staff checking done properly) before going off to play with toys. This has actually been really nice, we send children off to wash hands in age/stage order, and as the circle gets smaller and smaller we are having some fantastic conversations with the older more able children. Bit of a win win all round really! 

I'm feeling more slightly relaxed after sending the member of staff on the Ofsted ready training (instead of going myself-as it was actually for managers). It worked well as staff are now becoming much more aware their role during an inspection - we are now having more regular staff meeting with the staff becoming actively involved rather than just having a slightly bored looking expressions.     I told my local advisor this when she visited and asked why I didn't go myself - you could see her having a 'light-bulb' moment when I said the staff member got far more out of it than I would have. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Froglet said:

Yesterday I had a joyful moment from one of my children in a PSHE lesson who when giving healthy advice said "If you can't decide which fruit juice to have have a cocktail."  It turned out she meant dilute with water but I couldn't help smiling!

One of ours was making some concoction, when I asked what she was making the answer was “wine” ...seems to be a theme, should we follow their interests 🤔

not to bad a week on the whole, finally feel as if we’re winning with a couple of our more challenging chn, county finally confirmed new funding rates and we are getting the full 8p, what more could we ask 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2