Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Hope the wedding is wonderful Zigzag!

This week has gone oddly well (given how apprehensive I was about going back).  I'm not sure I've recovered my 'oomph'  and am already distinctly overwhelmed by the length of the TDL but some complicated staffing and timetabling issues went ok, my children have settled well.  I am very proud of the fact that during the week I have managed to do a daily walk and have eaten the healthy food I have planned (rather than stopping to get extra snacks or even take out on the way home).  I did forget to eat lunch on one particularly manic day.  My house has already remained tidy!!  Bedtime has slipped a little even though I wasn't actually working during that time - I need to keep an eye on that.  A decent amount of sleep makes anything possible!

I'm wondering if it's village show weekend everywhere - my sister, brother and mum are all involved in one!  The children will enter classic competitions such as making an animal out of vegetables and my sister-in-law is entering her first ever victoria sponge competition (with home made jam) and is being judged by the WI.  I'm feeling quite jealous - I don't live in a village show kind of place.  However, I haven't yet done the daily walk but I have been up early done the washing and the shopping and am just sitting down to the TDL.  That's mostly what's on my list today - I have a few big projects that I need to tackle plus I need to make a plan for dealing with the debris of my move to a new classroom; this last week has been littered with people asking me if I have a... and the answer is yes I just have no idea where it is!

Hope you all enjoy whatever you're up to!

• Like 3

Coooeee  - it's Friday 

How is everyone getting on?

We only have two 'returning' children, the rest are newbies - I had forgotten how much work goes into just getting them to understand the group's routines, but we are getting there slowly but surely - just so much easier when you have some 'big ones' to lead the way.....

Weather forecast for my corner of the world is excellent for the weekend - I intend to spend lots of time working in my garden :)

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend

• Like 1

I can't believe it's already the second Friday back!:o

We have had a manic week.  Children mostly fine,  but we have quite a few two year olds and they do take longer to settle.

We have never been so busy this time of year, which is good financially, but hard on staff. We are now full with just a few spaces held until January. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

I can't believe it's already the second Friday back!:o

We have had a manic week.  Children mostly fine,  but we have quite a few two year olds and they do take longer to settle.

We have never been so busy this time of year, which is good financially, but hard on staff. We are now full with just a few spaces held until January. 

That's such good news re occupancy 

• Like 1

Great first two weeks back for us. Two new starters this week who have settled like ducks to water! Super proud of two of our boys who have made the settling in process so much easier for the two newbies. Been quite blown away with their level of empathy and friendship.  The returners have all settled well without problem so can’t ask for anymore.  Except I would like OFSTED to come NOW whilst we have a lovely group who are yet to push too many boundaries!  

Lucky you being at good occupancy, we only have 10 until October then it rises to 13. So super quiet, need more babies born in the village.  Have a fabulous weekend in the sunshine everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panders said:

how's the new layout going Zigzag?

Everyone has commented how great it looks and feels. The first week it worked brilliantly for everyone but since the two newbies increased the boys numbers it wasn’t quite right.  (The girls adore it) So we emptied some floor space of an unused room next door and put down a massive car mat, a huge space for the train track and the Duplo and its worked ever since! So they get the best of both worlds.

Thank you for asking xx

• Like 4

Despite second week syndrome (tired children, tears leaving parents in the morning running to point blank refusal to do a task and tears in the afternoon from some) it's been a good second week.  The transition to year 1 is a big one no matter how gently it's done but I've been really impressed by how the vast majority are handling it.  I need to figure out carpet times though - I have a group who just think that chatting constantly is ok and that lying down and poking at other children is also ok...  

• Like 2

I have 'fired up the laptop' in order to reply to zigzags post about an Ofsted Inspection - so while I'm here I wanted to share with the Friday gang that we have discovered that we have a badgers set in our little field behind our back garden :) we have spent much of the summer grubbing out hedges and generally cutting back and tidying the field and yesterday discovered the set.

Despite being a 'country girl' I have never, ever seen a 'live' badger (sadly plenty of squished ones on the roads here). Mr S and I plan to wrap up warm and mount a 'badger watch' at dusk, wonder if we will see them...…..watch this space :D

• Like 5

ooh sunnyday - very exciting - perhaps you should contact Autumnwatch if you manage to have a friendly set of badgers - they may come and set up camera traps for you.

I watched a programme on BBC2 yesterday about badgers in very close proximity to humans as more are living an urban life these days, much like foxes.   There was also a section on cheeky seagulls in St. Ives, swiping people's pasties etc while they were sitting on the sea wall, very funny - obviously with my bird fear would frighten the absolute life out of me but from the safety of the armchair I could appreciate it:D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Panders said:

ooh sunnyday - very exciting - perhaps you should contact Autumnwatch if you manage to have a friendly set of badgers - they may come and set up camera traps for you.

I watched a programme on BBC2 yesterday about badgers in very close proximity to humans as more are living an urban life these days, much like foxes.   There was also a section on cheeky seagulls in St. Ives, swiping people's pasties etc while they were sitting on the sea wall, very funny - obviously with my bird fear would frighten the absolute life out of me but from the safety of the armchair I could appreciate it:D

Autumnwatch - would that mean that I would have to get up close and personal with Chris Packham? If so, I might have to give that a miss xD

5 hours ago, louby loo said:

We have badges, pleasure to watch,  although it does mean we now longer have hedgehogs any more :/

We also have the odd racoon......... but that's a whole different story!!! xD

(local petting farm have a few Houdini's) 

Oh no - I don't want them to eat our hedgehogs :o

Racoons - crikey!

Have just had one of those conversations with my darling 4 year old granddaughter it went something like this:

Me: Oh darling, guess what, nana and grandad have got a badger set in the field

L: Where did you buy it

Me: oh no sweetie, we didn't buy it, a set is the name for a badgers home, you know what a rabbit's home is called don't you

L: a 'borrow'?

Me: Oh nearly, it's called a burrow, so rabbits live in a burrow, foxes live in a den and badgers live in a set.....

L: Which set did you buy them?

:o:bananas:xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Panders said:

There was also a section on cheeky seagulls in St. Ives, swiping people's pasties etc while they were sitting on the sea wall, very funny

This made me smile, the exact thing happened to me on Penzance harbour. Sitting minding my own business and whoosh, before I knew it the flaming thing had swiped my pastie, bag and all!  They really have turned into a complete menace because people keep feeding them!

• Haha 1

'ere we go again - it's Friday!

Oldest grandson has gone off to start his Uni adventure today - I said goodbye to him yesterday :( real mix of emotions really - I am super proud of him, but he feels a long way away. His dad (my eldest) rang just now to report on what happened when he got him up there, they unpacked the car, found his room, found the Uni, went shopping for all those last bits + some groceries, enjoyed lunch together and then he left him, he reported that he was very 'perky' so that's all good :) oh and he is going to 'facetime' his little brother and sister later, they are going to miss him like mad......youngest granddaughter wants to know when she can go to Uni - not for another fourteen years yet sweetie! :D

Have a lovely weekend y'all

Edited by sunnyday
to remove a random apostrophe!
  • Like 3

Another lovely week with our gorgeous group. I had to smile today when two of my eldest boys were cuddled up top to tail in the old dog bed (god that sounds bad) reading books. I said we are going outside in a minute and one of them replied “we don’t want to go outside, we are reading”😲 Never heard a boy say that in all my Years!

Having a bit of a clean up in the bike shed today and came across two frogs😱 (I have had a frog phobia since the age of 16) Called my deputy, who with my instruction just about managed to get them in a bucket and then we let the boys dispose of them far from Pre-school! When one of our new little boys heard there was a second frog he very eloquently said (at the top of his voice in the playground) “There’s another f*****g frog😵

Both my boys are away for the weekend with their respective girlfriends. My youngest is driving to Bristol as we speak, only passed his test a couple of months ago and I have managed to put him off for this long but had to give in now.  We are so rural down here that it is going to be a huge learning experience for him. Will not relax until  I know he is there safe. So it’s just me and my husband and the dog this weekend and the strong easterly winds that are currently battering us!

happy weekend all. Xx  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Another lovely week with our gorgeous group. I had to smile today when two of my eldest boys were cuddled up top to tail in the old dog bed (god that sounds bad) reading books. I said we are going outside in a minute and one of them replied “we don’t want to go outside, we are reading”😲 Never heard a boy say that in all my Years!

Having a bit of a clean up in the bike shed today and came across two frogs😱 (I have had a frog phobia since the age of 16) Called my deputy, who with my instruction just about managed to get them in a bucket and then we let the boys dispose of them far from Pre-school! When one of our new little boys heard there was a second frog he very eloquently said (at the top of his voice in the playground) “There’s another f*****g frog😵

Both my boys are away for the weekend with their respective girlfriends. My youngest is driving to Bristol as we speak, only passed his test a couple of months ago and I have managed to put him off for this long but had to give in now.  We are so rural down here that it is going to be a huge learning experience for him. Will not relax until  I know he is there safe. So it’s just me and my husband and the dog this weekend and the strong easterly winds that are currently battering us!

happy weekend all. Xx  

Just read this to Mr S - he is still chuckling xD

• Haha 1

well a little late to hit the thread today....had our big fundraiser for the year yesterday so spent the WHOLE day making and serving tea coffee, cakes etc! i'm a bit achey (SP?) today !!

anyway have a VERY busy week ahead another 4 newbies to settle a video to film (!! don't ask...my trustees are a very enthusiastic bunch this year!) and a management meeting to add to all the other things we all do everyday. New lot are coming in ok...one little princess who's finding the fact she is not the centre of attention a bit trickyO.o one who had a nightmare at her previous setting who is settling well thank goodness. a little chap who is a bit 'full on' and another who has been an angel UNTIL friday...beginning to wonder if he's lulled us in to a false sense of security:D 

• Like 4