Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

2 hours ago, louby loo said:

Well as far as work and TDL is concerned my brain has turned to complete mush :/

After a very good first week, I seem to have got nothing done - and we're back soon!

Mine too Louby Loo, all focus went out the window after week one, haven’t don’t too much else to fill the time apart from friends, lunch, shopping and a bit more fiends, lunch, shopping :-/ far too much pottering and flitting from one thing to another, though I have read the new frame work and prepared a staff meeting to think about how we already meet the new terminology....but that seemed like forever ago and it’s all gone out of my head so will have to re-visit my notes, as for invoices and learning journals Larnielass “pah” is all I have to say to that!!

• Like 1

I did great things at the start of the holiday and have slid into decline! Have skimmed the new framework and will get booked onto training as soon as it is available.  With regards to reflection,  improvement plans etc instead of using the where are we now, where do we want to be, impact etc would you now use the headings intent, implementation and impact?  Got a improvement plan to do and want to be sure I am heading in the right way with these titles.  If that makes sense, gotta go as the lasagna is burning.....

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Mine too Louby Loo, all focus went out the window after week one, haven’t don’t too much else to fill the time apart from friends, lunch, shopping and a bit more fiends, lunch, shopping :-/ far too much pottering and flitting from one thing to another, though I have read the new frame work and prepared a staff meeting to think about how we already meet the new terminology....but that seemed like forever ago and it’s all gone out of my head so will have to re-visit my notes, as for invoices and learning journals Larnielass “pah” is all I have to say to that!!

'far too much pottering and flitting from one thing to another' pretty much sums up what has been going on here too

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

That’s all i’ve done to my Improvement plan, changed what was ‘reason’ to Intent, the ‘who, what, when’ to Implementation and the ‘outcome’ to Impact.

Thank you, just wanted to double check I was on the right track!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Thank you, just wanted to double check I was on the right track!

I’m not saying it’s the right track but that’s going to be as good as it gets :-D , I’m also wanting staff to get into the mind set of thinking ‘what do we want each child to achieve - Intent’, ‘what resources/enhancements could they offer - Implementation’ and ‘did it meet it’s intention?/did the child achieve - Impact’...I have no idea if that”s the right track either 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I kind of miss having anything to get your teeth into this holiday like gdpr last year, it’s all the mundane stuff and probably causing lack of focus (and the wine obviously and I shouldn’t say it but a couple of rainy days would help to ground me)....roll on the new DMs :ph34r: xD

• Sad 1

Week before last I had a lovely time 'touring' the south, visiting friends and relatives - lots of chatting and walking dogs.  This last week I have had my eldest nephew and niece to stay for a couple of nights - we visited Sherwood Forest, decorated cakes for mummy and daddy and granny and grandpa and visited a local farm.  I had a great time - am missing them this morning.

I finished crocheting my frog...

5d610b6a0f7cb_Bertthefrog(4).thumb.JPG.4a92b730228a86b273a5f55b3f4c0314.JPG

His name is Bert and he has a scarf because he likes knitting and a backpack because it is filled with his essentials for going on adventures.  I have told stories about him since my first year of teaching (15 years ago) to both my classes and my niece and nephew.  I am seriously contemplating trying to write some of these down - any tips gratefully received!  I don't know whether I could - the stories are made up on the spur of the moment; the children choose a new character or two and I make the story up to include them.  The trouble is once I've told them they have gone out of my head!  

The week ahead will maybe have a bit of gardening in, definitely clearing a few more surfaces at home and quite a lot of worrying about the fact that school starts again in just a week!

Edited by Froglet
  • Like 3

Thought I'd share this one too so you can see his face. 

5d610cce0288c_Bertthefrog(3).thumb.JPG.73796c15f476addfcabb19724b48f058.JPG

By the way - how bothered are you by things being illogical in children's fantasy stories?  Bert lives in a hole at the bottom of an oak tree next to the lily pond at the bottom of a palace garden and has been known to light a fire and drink a mug of hot chocolate on chilly evenings.  Squashed fly sandwiches are his usual meal but he has been known to have crumpets spread with squashed fly jam on occasion...

• Like 3

Love Bert!   I also like things being illogical in children's stories as it gives an opportunity for discussion. :)

I'm thinking of crocheting a octopus. I feel bad as I've seen them (and have a pattern) for premature babies, however my skill level in not good enough to make the for the prem babies as they have very very  strict monitoring. But they look nice and I want to have a go.

I'm still busy making my 2019 temperature blanket although I've totally gone of it as I don't like the colours now :/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Love Bert!   I also like things being illogical in children's stories as it gives an opportunity for discussion. :)

I'm thinking of crocheting a octopus. I feel bad as I've seen them (and have a pattern) for premature babies, however my skill level in not good enough to make the for the prem babies as they have very very  strict monitoring. But they look nice and I want to have a go.

I'm still busy making my 2019 temperature blanket although I've totally gone of it as I don't like the colours now :/

Thank you!  Get crocheting those octopi - even if you can't make them for the prem babies... yet.  Practice makes perfect.  I'm not a 'cuddly toy' person at all but I had so much fun making Bert that I'm very tempted to make some other animals from the same designer.  I too have projects that I've gone off but can't quite bring myself to throw them out just yet.

PS  Bert shares his pond with a very grumpy bullfrog called Eric and the princess who lives in the palace and frequently joins him on his adventures is generally to be found wearing wellies and pyjamas.  She is a very practical person.  The last story I told she was trying to make blueberry pancakes but had just discovered that there was only one frying pan in the palace kitchen and the handle had fallen off... Bert fixed it with the roll of sticking plaster he carries in his backpack!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, louby loo said:

You've got me thinking about the possibility of making one that reflected the colour of the sky on different days...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Froglet said:

You've got me thinking about the possibility of making one that reflected the colour of the sky on different days...

That would be nice.

Mine is a hexagonal a day with the highs and lows of each day, and whilst they colours looked nice laid out net to each other, the high/ low combinations are a bit 'iffy'....... my brother (we've shared a dark sense of humour) said it looks like something made by an old lady from the scrap box at the wool shop. xD  I have to be honest I tend to agree with him!

Edited by louby loo
oh, and the size of the thing will be suitable to cover a large family all at once!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am indoors hiding from the extreme heat - honestly think that my internal thermostat much be broken, it used to be the case that it could never be too hot for me, old age I suppose :ph34r: or perhaps I need to remove my balaclava (I am wearing my lightweight summer one)

Anyway - cracking on with the old TDL :) whilst in hiding...... 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 20:05, Mouseketeer said:

I kind of miss having anything to get your teeth into this holiday like gdpr last year, it’s all the mundane stuff and probably causing lack of focus (and the wine obviously and I shouldn’t say it but a couple of rainy days would help to ground me)....roll on the new DMs :ph34r: xD

Do behave Mousie 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

I am indoors hiding from the extreme heat - honestly think that my internal thermostat much be broken, it used to be the case that it could never be too hot for me, old age I suppose :ph34r: or perhaps I need to remove my balaclava (I am wearing my lightweight summer one)

Anyway - cracking on with the old TDL :) whilst in hiding...... 

Me too! Although I've never been good with hot.  My weird thing is that because I've been sat working my feet are frozen - the rest of me is fine.

I am currently feeling slightly sick at the prospect of going back...

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, zigzag said:

Overcast here in Cornwall😢 Just off to school to do the last bits and bobs then back on Monday.  So excited, can’t wait to get back(I will probably be saying different a week in)🤣

I had noticed that you weren't doing quite so well on the heat front zigzag...….

Lovely to read that you are excited about return - I am getting a bit worried because I can't find much enthusiasm and I don't really know why :( I am planning a visit to my setting tomorrow and really hoping that might help with this...…...oh and we don't 'go back' until Thursday 5th

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

I had noticed that you weren't doing quite so well on the heat front zigzag...….

Lovely to read that you are excited about return - I am getting a bit worried because I can't find much enthusiasm and I don't really know why :( I am planning a visit to my setting tomorrow and really hoping that might help with this...…...oh and we don't 'go back' until Thursday 5th

The the enthusiasm may not last! We will see what the next term brings!  I LOVE my room and all the changes I have made, I just hope it works for the children😬 Only time (and destruction) will tell.  

2 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Me too this year :(

Think I'm getting fed up of all the new 'trends and buzzwords'. which are in reality simply what we did years ago- which wasn't good enough at the time o.O

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, louby loo said:

Me too this year :(

Think I'm getting fed up of all the new 'trends and buzzwords'. which are in reality simply what we did years ago- which wasn't good enough at the time o.O

I agree with that! Sometimes feel we have gone full circle!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zigzag said:

The the enthusiasm may not last! We will see what the next term brings!  I LOVE my room and all the changes I have made, I just hope it works for the children😬 Only time (and destruction) will tell.  

Your room is beautiful, perhaps I need to be thinking about some changes to mine...….