Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Zigzag - so pleased that Thursday went well.  Sending you lots of love.

Sunnyday - congratulations on the blanket - it's lovely.

Louby - congratulations on finishing!

I have 8 more days to go - we finish on the 27th.  One of those includes sports day which we have moved (originally scheduled for Tuesday).  It has been a difficult term in many ways and I am mentally and physically exhausted and just worn out.  We have what feels like a short holiday this year - back on 31st August.  I need to take a little time to reset and regroup and a lot of time to think over some challenging questions.  Am not quite sure where to start at the moment! I know that I will need to sleep a lot but for me that often ends up being naps - I can tell when I'm 'better' when I no longer need an afternoon nap.  I have lots of crochet plans (taking a little break from socks at the moment) although I haven't crafted for a while and I need to!  I usually have cooking plans but I've been struggling with wanting to cook recently so I maybe need to find some easy things to get going again.  Since I lost my taste/smell I don't have quite the same motivation to cook and eat!  The school TDL is, as always, epic and I need to find a way of managing that so that I don't start the year stressed but also take a proper break.

Apologies if all that sounds moany - it's not meant to be just stating a fact!  I know that as soon as next Thursday (rescheduled sports day) is over that will help.

• Like 2

Not 'moany' at all young Froglet x it all sounds extremely challenging

Why such an early return?

Finishing so late 27th July and returning so early 31st August - hmmm - remembering how long it takes to 'come down' at the end of summer term I am worried that you won't have time to truly relax (that's got to be one of my most unhelpful comments - sorry)

To lighten things and possibly make you laugh - have just had a telephone chat with eldest son - we talked about the 'leadership challenge', plans for the weekend (none) and many other topics...but then, he is obviously very worried about his dad and how he will cope through the predicted heatwave...this is how that part of the convo went:

Son: Where's dad now, he's not doing anything is he?

Me: No, he is right here, just chilling in his armchair

Son: Good, I have told him he needs to sit in his pants with a fan blowing on him for the next few days

Me: Good grief, I'm not sure that is something I want to look at 🤣

Son: Well, you will have to wear sunglasses!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Sunnyday, that did make me smile.

Early return because a couple of years ago my LA changed to having a two week October half term - we lose a week in summer as compensation. This year I think it feels worse because it’s 4 and 2 half weeks. Any week which has school in it feels like a school week to me.

My current plan is that I will aim to take the middle two weeks completely off - no email, no work, no nothing. The other weeks I will allow myself to work in the mornings and then do ‘me stuff’ in the afternoon.

My top tip for keeping cool is to freeze a hot water bottle. When it’s back in it’s soft cover it creates lovely cool spots in the bed at night.

• Like 1

We go back on the 1st September - but that's our choice as it means we can finish a week earlier at Christmas.

I know what you mean about 1/2 weeks though- they just blend into a school week.

Sunnyday - I just can't get the vision out of my head now 🙀🤣

• Like 2

On 16/07/2022 at 15:15, louby loo said:

Sunnyday - I just can't get the vision out of my head now 🙀🤣

I do apologise for that louby😂

Guess what - we have no water - eek - water station set up in village hall car park - might be back tomorrow morning if levels can be restored and if not 9pm tomorrow evening - oh well 'we will survive'!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 16/07/2022 at 15:46, sunnyday said:

I do apologise for that louby😂

Guess what - we have no water - eek - water station set up in village hall car park - might be back tomorrow morning if levels can be restored and if not 9pm tomorrow evening - oh well 'we will survive'!

Yes, but we are made of strong stuff.... we survived the 'stand pipes' of 1976!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 18:06, louby loo said:

Yes, but we are made of strong stuff.... we survived the 'stand pipes' of 1976!!!!!!

Absolutely!

I rather enjoyed the 'blitz spirit' when I went to collect my bottled water 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all, it’s been a couple of weeks but hope everyone is managing the end of term and heat as best they can…I bloody hate this last couple of weeks, leavers trip, sports afternoon (end of week thankfully) all the paperwork for leavers and new intakes, transition reports, induction visits …it’s all too much on top of the hassles of everyday life in a setting, took on new staff, experienced, well qualified, great references but that is not going as well as expected, in fact I think I made life more difficult rather than easier for everyone 🫣 

pleased you have found someone you feel happy handing the reins over to zigzag, best wishes, the seaside cleaning sounds amazing 🤩 

good to catch up on what you’ve all been up to, stay chilled (as much as you can do 🥵) off for a little grandson fix now to push me through to the end of the week 🎉 

• Like 2

On 17/07/2022 at 08:34, Mouseketeer said:

good to catch up on what you’ve all been up to, stay chilled (as much as you can do 🥵) off for a little grandson fix now to push me through to the end of the week 🎉 

Enjoy your 'grandson fix' Mousie - there is nothing like it

Good luck with all the end of year stuff x

• Like 2

On 17/07/2022 at 10:50, Froglet said:

Someone at work the other day said that everyone outside the setting thinks we wind down for the summer but actually we wind up!

This is true - it is such a busy time - adding a heatwave into the mix is not helpful either 🤦‍♀️

• Like 1

On 17/07/2022 at 08:34, Mouseketeer said:

Hi all, it’s been a couple of weeks but hope everyone is managing the end of term and heat as best they can…I bloody hate this last couple of weeks, leavers trip, sports afternoon (end of week thankfully) all the paperwork for leavers and new intakes, transition reports, induction visits …it’s all too much on top of the hassles of everyday life in a setting, took on new staff, experienced, well qualified, great references but that is not going as well as expected, in fact I think I made life more difficult rather than easier for everyone 🫣 

pleased you have found someone you feel happy handing the reins over to zigzag, best wishes, the seaside cleaning sounds amazing 🤩 

We scrapped sports day years ago! One year of moaning from parents about the lack of... then nothing. Sometimes we just do impromptu sports events with the children  though 😊

Transition stuff - we ask each school what they want... most say nothing other than a 'visit and informal chat' . No end of year reports here either, we just try and chat with each parent.  If we have a child were we never see the parent as they work full time we just send an informal chatty email etc.

Since the demise of 'top up fees' we've cut down on a lot of things that are 'extras' and just stick to what we've agreed -providing early education only!  I guess this might be different is you use the events for fundraising.  I find many parents expect everything for nothing, and the more you provide the more they expect.

End of term trip? Well that's a walk and picnic in the forest!

We did have an end of term party for the leavers though we're not totally mean 🤣

(getting old and bitter 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 19/07/2022 at 07:55, zigzag said:

Sunnyday, how’s the water situation?   Hope everyone up country is coping with the heat ok.  Stay safe all. Xx

Nope, no water, not even a trickle...

Apparently the BBC are coming up to film this afternoon - hmmm - wonder if I should Mr S up there in his pants - what d'you think?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 19/07/2022 at 12:48, Panders said:

this i have to watch  😂

🤦‍♀️ Can you imagine!🤣

Just to add insult to injury we had a two hour power cut yesterday afternoon - we're doomed, doomed I tell you!

Interesting change in update from South East Water - they say that they are going to 're-direct' some water our way - a suspicious person might conclude that has happened because the Beeb are on their way...

• Haha 2

On 19/07/2022 at 12:58, sunnyday said:

🤦‍♀️ Can you imagine!🤣

Just to add insult to injury we had a two hour power cut yesterday afternoon - we're doomed, doomed I tell you!

Interesting change in update from South East Water - they say that they are going to 're-direct' some water our way - a suspicious person might conclude that has happened because the Beeb are on their way...

OMG!!!! I think your water has been redirected from us! 🙀

We're  on high alert do to burst main in nearby big town. 😂

(lucky we have a paddling pool full of water in reserve 😁....just hope it hasn't had any 'accidents' in it!!)  Have the granddaughter for two days. 

Edited by louby loo

I hear thunder, I hear thunder, hark don't you...

It's rumbling about in the distance - hope that I can add 'pitter patter raindrops' soon 😂

Mr S is sitting out in the garden - it is now cooler out than in - he is suitably dressed in shorts and t-shirt 😂

We did feature on the local news...

Water went back off at 5pm - I have resolved to stop banging on about the situation - there are far worse things going on

Right off to do a rain dance!

On 19/07/2022 at 11:44, sunnyday said:

Nope, no water, not even a trickle...

Apparently the BBC are coming up to film this afternoon - hmmm - wonder if I should Mr S up there in his pants - what d'you think?🤣

Would that delay or speed up water reinstatement?!

Am in the throes of trying to sort out leaving presents for various people.  One is taking early retirement.  We have a bracelet, book and a personalised bag for her but have lots left.  We were thinking of a lovely plant - any suggestions?  Gardens are not my strong point!