Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It's Friday!

sunnyday

Wha

28 minutes ago, louby loo said:

Neighbour is sorted - her brother is bring dinner. So I think it's lasagne for us then - my favourite ! :) 

A question for those of you in Kent.  When they do 'stack-up' on the M20 - do they completely close both sides and all traffic has to find alternative routes?  

14 minutes ago, Panders said:

No, there are 3 lanes in a lot of places so they could use up to 2 - that's how I understand it - we now have 'brock' as well but don't know what the difference is 😂😂

That's right - I think 'Brock' is the moveable barrier effort.....trouble is it doesn't just affect the M20, it messes up all of our roads, particularly when the lorries are trying to miss the back end of Operation Stack they start hammering down some much smaller A and B roads and often these are just not big enough for those enormous trucks. 

So nice to hear from you all, I keep checking in and it’s been so quiet.  We are doing dinner and in our house will be our two sons and my nephew and we will be doing meals on wheels service to Mum and Dad. We were in Tesco at 6:50 this morning to beat the rush and it was still busy!  Tomorrow will be cooking my gammon, making Mississippi mud pie (for those who don’t like Christmas pud), braising the red cabbage and making sausage rolls😋😋 Just made pasties for tea and they are smelling awesome! 
Cornwall is moving up into tier 2, heard of sixteen new cases in two villages close by!  A load of youngsters went to a party and six of them now have it and obviously spread it to family.  One of the youngsters  girlfriends had Covid and yet he decided to still go to the party! I mean for gods sake what is wrong with them.  So many locals are kicking up about it being the second home owners/holiday makers that are spreading it when a lot of the locals are actually to blame. Is anyone else tempted to wear masks on the return to work? Just wondering if this is now a viable option?

1 hour ago, sunnyday said:

Wha

That's right - I think 'Brock' is the moveable barrier effort.....trouble is it doesn't just affect the M20, it messes up all of our roads, particularly when the lorries are trying to miss the back end of Operation Stack they start hammering down some much smaller A and B roads and often these are just not big enough for those enormous trucks. 

This is what confuses me. Surely you can have parked up lorries AND normal traffic at the same time ?  What if the drivers try to get out?

1 hour ago, Mouseketeer said:

Not sure, was thinking we might go back to KW chn only for a bit but we are staying in tier 2 (for the time being) how has everyone else fared in the tier lottery? 

We're following this closely...Groundhog Day...

I think we''be expected to open regardless (and our area is is getting daft now, our LA is,  I think 5/6th in the country now), and can sort of cope with this- although most of our staff are 'mature' to put it politely.  I just wish we were up on the list for vaccines :(  I know they say we're the same as any shop workers etc- but I'm pretty sure they can social distance easier and/or have screen  +  they don't tend to be licked by people and coughed and sobbed over!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zigzag said:

So nice to hear from you all, I keep checking in and it’s been so quiet.  We are doing dinner and in our house will be our two sons and my nephew and we will be doing meals on wheels service to Mum and Dad. We were in Tesco at 6:50 this morning to beat the rush and it was still busy!  Tomorrow will be cooking my gammon, making Mississippi mud pie (for those who don’t like Christmas pud), braising the red cabbage and making sausage rolls😋😋 Just made pasties for tea and they are smelling awesome! 
Cornwall is moving up into tier 2, heard of sixteen new cases in two villages close by!  A load of youngsters went to a party and six of them now have it and obviously spread it to family.  One of the youngsters  girlfriends had Covid and yet he decided to still go to the party! I mean for gods sake what is wrong with them.  So many locals are kicking up about it being the second home owners/holiday makers that are spreading it when a lot of the locals are actually to blame. Is anyone else tempted to wear masks on the return to work? Just wondering if this is now a viable option?

Your Christmas plans sound lovely zigzag - enjoy

The Covid cases sound awful though

My theory re Covid and January...…..I think we might all be back in full lockdown nationwide

I really hope that doesn't happen, if it doesn't and we stay in tiers......I can't see schools opening in tier 4 areas, that would be ridiculous. At the Saturday briefing, our glorious leader seemed to drop his 'schools must remain open', he said 'we will keep schools open if we possibly can'

Who knows

One of my colleagues told me that she had been speaking to the Head of a large grammar school fairly close to us and he said "I don't we will be back before February"

I'm still trying to find out if I need to pay back funding from end of last term (I closed early) - I have no problem if they want the money back, just want a decision, if they want it then I need that to be paid before end of this tax year

It's been lovely to read all of these messages today.  I just wanted to send all of you a huge virtual hug.  Today I have totally failed to do any of the school work I meant to.  It means that my plan to get it all sorted before Christmas is out the window.  I am debating either getting up really early tomorrow morning so that I can do it then or forgetting about it until Sunday and then working really hard all day so that I can have a proper Christmas Eve (which is my absolute favourite day) and a clear school free week.

I have had 3 doorstep present exchanges today which were freezing cold but lovely although poignant - my nephew had to stay in the car as his mum had just had a text from his school saying he needed to self-isolate and I wished I could hug my sister and the rest of the family.  My niece did give me a 'nearly hug' - she wraps her arms around herself and squeezes hard!  She also put her face mask on at one point but hastened to reassure me "It's not because I have coronavirus Aunty Froglet, it's just because my nose is cold!" .

My presents are all wrapped - one contains an IOU for a pair of socks - only one is finished!  Tomorrow I have the best plans - lovely breakfast and house cleaning and baking in the morning - I always make mince pies but my mum has requested a chocolate log and I've never made one before, I just hope I have enough ingredients as there is no way I'm going to Tesco tomorrow!

After that will be general decorating then at 3pm the tree will go up, I will listen to the Festival of 9 lessons and carols, light my new Christmas candle (treat to myself) and decorate it.  To be followed in the evening by crumpets and honey, lebkuchen, hot chocolate, The Muppets Christmas Carol, a lovely bubble bath and new pyjamas!

Right now, school work or no (and I know which direction I'm heading in...) I need to go and fetch the tree in from the garden so it can dry overnight as it has chucked it down all day.  I also need to contemplate rearranging the living room (and hiding some more mess) so it has a place to fit inside!

I can also heartily recommend a shared advent calendar and accompanying 'cloud photo album' to anyone who has family with children living in different parts of the UK - it has been an absolute joy this month and I am so glad I did it!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Panders said:

Anyone watch this little nugget?  BBC2. 7.30 (so now on iplayer)The Magical World of Julia Donaldson

Bother, I missed it!  I have been re-watching the animations though to give myself half an hour of knitting each day.  Was it good?

13 hours ago, Panders said:

Anyone watch this little nugget?  BBC2. 7.30 (so now on iplayer)The Magical World of Julia Donaldson

Just found this on catch up - a little treat for this afternoon!

Youngest son, DIL and girls have just had to have Covid tests - DIL's BIL had a positive result yesterday, he was tested on Monday, just a work test, he has no symptoms at all - my son, DIL were with him last Thursday helping that family to move house - all a bit of a worry (understatement there)

• Sad 3

Thanks both

Sods law really - my son has followed the rules to the letter, but understandably when the families move was held up and it got to the point where it was dark and cold and they had no beds made up etc - they went to help them......

Hope they get their results in the next 24-48 hours

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunnyday said:

Thanks both

Sods law really - my son has followed the rules to the letter, but understandably when the families move was held up and it got to the point where it was dark and cold and they had no beds made up etc - they went to help them......

Hope they get their results in the next 24-48 hours

fingers crossed for you x

• Thanks 1