Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bake Off 2016

Froglet

Well here they are, thought I had better take a photo before the teenagers get back from the beach and they disappear! The hardest thing is to get the chocolate looking right!attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

FSF HQ always available for taste testing - we cover a wide demographic so the test results would be very sound ;)

• Like 2

Last night had me craving Viennese Whirls, one of my favourite biscuits, not had them for years...

Biggest coincidence is I won a food hamper in a raffle at our village festival yesterday, and what was in it but some Viennese Whirls. Off to the festival again today, to see what other goodies we can win ( Had £45 of food in the hamper, plus also won on a tombola and a bottle stall) Maybe a BBQ for lunch while there.

The show stopper though had so many disasters, are they asking too much in such a short time frame, though all that must have so many elements and so high was too prescriptive.

But this is brilliant.. http://giphy.com/gifs/26ufb8TZvAMZOiMKI

Isn't it the best show for innuendos

Edited by Inge
  • Like 2

I though Viennese Whirls were another good technical challenge - relatively straightforward if you have the recipe but needing you to know all sorts of tips and tricks to do them well. I remember making them from a recipe in a ladybird book!

I have liked the challenges so far - their 'back to basics' approach appeals to me in that I think that I could do those things if I practised. I wonder though if several years of making things more and more complicated has back fired a little in that the contestants are now over complicating things for themselves in order to try and impress. Several times Paul and Mary have said it's about simplicity and doing something really well but I wonder just how simple they'd accept?

Am intrigued by the potential challenges for bread week - from the trailer it looked as if they might be doing a bread basket which they did in the past once and was a good one.

Well the Viennese whirls have just gone into the oven and I am laughing as I say that. They look more like something produced by the wrong end of my dog!! In my defence, I did not have the correct piping nozzle, if you want a laugh I will post a picture later! Think it would be my time to exit the tent! I have also made three beautiful lemon drizzle loaves, a sponge and a cherry bake well for a stall for our Gig rowing club for tomorrow. FM have to say the cake is fabulous, well done.

• Like 1

They look fab! I'm envious too - used to love gig rowing!

My two sons do it and I am so proud to say that they won the under sixteens championships in Newquay this year, great achievement for such a small club. I had a try once and quickly realised how easy they make it look! It's a spectator sport for me I'm afraid.

• Like 3

In anticipation of bread week (and because I am resolutely avoiding eating cakes and biscuits during September) I have baked a loaf of bread - I think it's cool enough to eat now. There something fantastic about that first crunchy, crusty slice of homemade bread...

In anticipation of bread week (and because I am resolutely avoiding eating cakes and biscuits during September) I have baked a loaf of bread - I think it's cool enough to eat now. There something fantastic about that first crunchy, crusty slice of homemade bread...

Stop you are making me feel hungry.

• Like 1

Had something similar in Austria, thing is, the Damph thing has no flavour at all, all the flavour comes from the sauces or the custard. We had something called germknodel, which came with a vanilla sauce and grated chocolate and coconut on top (frankly that looked like cigarette ash!) tasted ok. but the knodel bit didn't really taste of anything.

I suppose it's a little like our steamed suet puds we had when I was a child, with golden syrup or strawberry jam on!

Dampfnudel take the flavour from the sauces and is very bland, my cousin used to make them when we visited her , she lived in south Germany and was served there a lot.

As panders said our version would be a plain suet pudding, ours were boiled in a cloth when mum made it and served with syrup, actually so was mine , not made it for many years now.

I have to say the dampfnudel didn't inspire me! Wasn't sure about having it as a challenge either - I don't claim to be a widely experienced baker at all but I felt a bit as if that was such a different technique they would really struggle to be able to tell things like whether they were ready or not. Having read the recipe on the BBC site I'm not much wiser now!

The variety of chocolate breads was interesting and might be tempted by that some time. Some of the braided showstoppers were great.

Give me a good, plain, crusty loaf with proper butter and some nice cheese any day though!

• Like 3