Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Asked to vacate premises

BeanyBird

Hi all

I have a terrible dilemma. I have been hiring a hall for my pre-school for 18 months and it has come to light from the landlords the hall does not have the correct usage. The usage has been changed previously and I was advised it was just a letter to the planning dept. I have been waiting for confirmation that the issue has been dealt with, however I have received a letter wit 3 weeks left until the end of term, asking us to vacate the premises!!! I have over 30 children on the books for September and employ 10 staff! To say I am devastated and heartbroken is an understatement. There are no other local venues we can use as they are all taken. I have requested meetings with the landlords several times over the past 6 months to discuss the issue amongst other things but they have not met with me.

has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? The landlords are supposed to work with the community, they are the Scouts!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated........

Is it just a question of "correct usage", or that the Landlords want you out?? for other reasons.

Have you approached your local planning department directly yourself?

Have you been to your local MP's surgery?

Have you thought about going to the local press?

Try getting your LA early years involved, query with the council what the issue is, and doorstep your landlord until they speak to you. What kind of agreement do you have for using the space? Do you have a contract of any kind? Will try to think of anything else, but I'm sure some helpful replies will follow.

• Like 1

terrible situation to be in.

I can't see why (with limited information!) that you would not be a suitable group to hire the hall.....usage would be the same for you as it would the scouts ...unless they hire from someone else and don't have permission or their insurance is incorrect. Something fishy going on....try contacting the scouts association and complaining!

Well I think something fishy is going on too! We have been there for just over 18 months. I have my local MP involved and I will be going to local press if I don't get a meeting with them. I am sending a letter out to lots of people within Scouts complaining and am giving them 10 days to respond before I go to press etc. I will update when I get more insight into what the hell is going on!

• Like 5

Try getting your LA early years involved, query with the council what the issue is, and doorstep your landlord until they speak to you. What kind of agreement do you have for using the space? Do you have a contract of any kind? Will try to think of anything else, but I'm sure some helpful replies will follow.

This is brilliant advice :1b

Your Early Years dept won't want to lose 30 places

Has this arisen because the locals have complained that the Scout hall is being used for something other than Scouts which I presume is just one evening each week?

If you can't get the landlords to meet with you - there must be an overseeing body for them.........

The Scouts would surely want to keep such a good source of revenue.....

Will keep thinking.......

• Like 1

Hmm, we were going to run from the local scout hut too.....had the funding in place etc, then it transpired that the scouts didn't actually own the hut, they leased it, but they'd leased it so long agao that it had almost been forgotten about. The actual owner refused permission for the building to be shared, under any circumstances. Turned out that the lease stated that the scouts were 100% responsible for the upkeep of the building and if they didn't keep it in good order, the owner could claim the building back.And the land here is worth a mint.........................an absolute fortune, for housing. So, now the scouts are working flat out to bring the building back to standards. is it possible there is some hidden clause with your scouts too?

Hmm, we were going to run from the local scout hut too.....had the funding in place etc, then it transpired that the scouts didn't actually own the hut, they leased it, but they'd leased it so long agao that it had almost been forgotten about. The actual owner refused permission for the building to be shared, under any circumstances. Turned out that the lease stated that the scouts were 100% responsible for the upkeep of the building and if they didn't keep it in good order, the owner could claim the building back.And the land here is worth a mint.........................an absolute fortune, for housing. So, now the scouts are working flat out to bring the building back to standards. is it possible there is some hidden clause with your scouts too?

Yes, our scout hut has some kind of clause as they do not own the land. However 'people spoke' and it was sorted and we could remain. If I remember correctly - The scouts were a charity and the preschool a business, and that was the issue.

This was many, many years ago, and I haven't a clue who talked with who.