Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack charges/donations

we charge £35 per child. No refunds. Was £25 but have had to put it up .....no-one in this area is surprised and rarely do I get an issue with it (except a parent of twins who came to see me last week...as an aside why are some parents SO rude to you when they want you to look after their most precious possession....i'd be treating the staff with kid gloves!)

we charge £35 per child. No refunds. Was £25 but have had to put it up .....no-one in this area is surprised and rarely do I get an issue with it (except a parent of twins who came to see me last week...as an aside why are some parents SO rude to you when they want you to look after their most precious possession....i'd be treating the staff with kid gloves!)

It's a sign of the times I feel and makes me increasingly frustrated.

• Like 1

Finleysmaid are you willing to share what the £35.00 actually pays towards. I am trying to compile a list of ideas/strategies to increase our incoming monies to remain sustainable to our committee. So any support would be gratefully received.:)

Finleysmaid are you willing to share what the £35.00 actually pays towards. I am trying to compile a list of ideas/strategies to increase our incoming monies to remain sustainable to our committee. So any support would be gratefully received.:)

it goes towards paying for the administrator. Writing letters and paying for the numerous phone calls and emails we send out to prospective parents!!! it by no means covers the total cost but it helps

• Like 1

it goes towards paying for the administrator. Writing letters and paying for the numerous phone calls and emails we send out to prospective parents!!! it by no means covers the total cost but it helps

Okay going back to my quote re the cost of iNK!! Yesterday I was not happily printing out copius amounts of 'intake' blurb. Printer - printing blotchy writing - been on u tube to see why????? Have now - as the 'administrator' spent 2 wasted hours trying to sort this out - used ALL my coloured inks up (brand new) and black ink, cleaning ruddy printing head etc etc. NOW its not printing black AT ALL!

'Administrator has now gone on here to vent anger and frustration!! £35 is CHEAP - no explanation needed

Am now attempting to put my New Intake Pack on to email. After I have shopped for wine.....well it is the 'holidays'

• Like 3

Okay going back to my quote re the cost of iNK!! Yesterday I was not happily printing out copius amounts of 'intake' blurb. Printer - printing blotchy writing - been on u tube to see why????? Have now - as the 'administrator' spent 2 wasted hours trying to sort this out - used ALL my coloured inks up (brand new) and black ink, cleaning ruddy printing head etc etc. NOW its not printing black AT ALL!

'Administrator has now gone on here to vent anger and frustration!! £35 is CHEAP - no explanation needed

Am now attempting to put my New Intake Pack on to email. After I have shopped for wine.....well it is the 'holidays'

:o Oh your poor thing - how frustrating for you - think you need a 'case' of wine :1b

• Like 1

Thank you Finleysmaid. So is it classed as a registration fee, a one off annual payment, or something else.:)

we class it as an admin fee ...it doesn't get you anything other than an email to say you are on the list...and a place on the list (no guarantee of a place!!!) not charged for any funded space ...so ie if a child is starting AFTER they are funded (2's and 3's)

we class it as an admin fee ...it doesn't get you anything other than an email to say you are on the list...and a place on the list (no guarantee of a place!!!) not charged for any funded space ...so ie if a child is starting AFTER they are funded (2's and 3's)

Have I understood this correctly? You charge them an admin fee to go on the list with no guarantee?

Edited by MegaMum

Have I understood this correctly? You charge them an admin fee to go on the list with no guarantee?

Yep!! not unusual round here to be charged a deposit of some sort (won't tell you how much the private schools charge!!!!)

We can't guarantee places as we never know how many we will have....often have children who defer entry or do not get a space at school so until children have got a confirmed space at school it is impossible for us to allocate spaces

We have always charged some sort of registration fee ...if you want to go on our list then you have to pay ! I have 27 on list for September for 26 places so it's not putting anyone off!

I have never charged for snack as I thought funded children had to access totally free care - I agree funding is too low to provide snack but how do you stand asking for extra - if people don't pay do their children not get snack? I think I have been a bit naive about all the 'extras' other settings in our area seem to charge and get away with. As with everything you always get the ones that do and the ones that don't.

We have a voluntary donation tub for snack donations, and a suggested amount of 20p per session.

I'm ambivalent about charging for snack - when elder son was in the nursery class at his primary school, there was a 'voluntary donation' of £1 per week for snack. And a list by the door that you got your child's name ticked off as you paid each week, and all the other parents could see it (peer pressure for parents!) and you got chased up by the nursery teacher if you didn't pay on time. Even when your child's food intolerances meant that you actually provided his entire snack...

So we put the details of our snack donation into our letters and the tub is on the desk for children/parents to put money into, but we don't monitor it. They are thanked for 5p as much as for £5. Any money children have brought in and lost and is found at the end of the day in the bookcase or sandpit so we don't know who's it was, goes in as well!

We get about 20p per child per session attended with the donation tub - parents who pay for fees will usually put their change in the tub, there's at least 1 parent who puts in £20 a term.

We discussed asking for donations of actual food items, but have had various food allergies/intolerances that make it a lot easier for us to control what food is coming in than to go through the food with a fine tooth comb to see if we can have Harry sitting next to William while they have their snack today, or if we need to 2 part clean the table again after Harry's snack so it's safe for William to come and have his snack.

We're in a low income area and our aim is to provide high quality childcare that is free to access.

We do charge for extra sessions including lunch club if not used as part of the funded hours and late collection.

All children are offered snack and as I said, we have the donation tub for that. Parents can choose to buy their child uniform through us (we've just about broken even on it as we had to pay up front from the supplier and the more we order of each size, the cheaper it is - but we sell more of the 3-4 sizes than the 5-6, so we have unsold stock). Taking up more than 15 hours is parental choice, so though they pay for it, it's not conditional on taking up any spaces. We do recommend that a child has at least 2 sessions per week (and only offer all day to children aged 3 plus), so a fee-paying 2 year old really needs at least 2 different days - but then, parents can wait till they are old enough to get funded spaces. County have been quite happy about that when I've explained it, and we spell it out in the prospectus.

• Like 1

Well we asked for donations of snack items this week and have to say it has worked really well. We have ended the week with enough fruit to supply a few days next week as well. Just hope the parents realise that we need these donations every week!

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

• Like 5

I charge 30p per day for snack and simply add it to a termly invoice. It was suggested by parents. They also suggested to add "voluntary donations" line to invoices, so if someone is willing to pay more than the actual invoice figure, than I just amend the invoice adding the difference to "voluntary donations".

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)