Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How long to wait for Ofsted registration visit

nomski100

So I have finally found a hall to run a nursery from ;) . The problem I have is I need to pay rent on the hall as soon as I sign the contract at £800 a week :unsure:

I have completed the Ofsted DBS (already done medical in present job as manager)will pay the £220 :huh: fee but will have to wait up to 25 weeks for them to visit premises.

Can I get some ideas on how long others waiting for this registration visit?

When they send the letter to state the date of visit how much time do they give you.

I'm trying to work this out with the hall owner as if its going to take 25 weeks I'm not going to start setting up all my equipment yet as it will be a pack away nursery. What if they don't give me a registration? I would of bought all the equipment, signed a lease on a hall blar blar blar :bananas: !

Any advice would be great.

My understanding is that you cannot operate until ofsted have done your registration visit - then you get your 1st inspection within 26 weeks of registration date. This has certainly been the case in the three settings we have opened in the last 5 years.

But to echo what others are saying - I have to question the price £800 a week !!!!!

My understanding is that you cannot operate until ofsted have done your registration visit - then you get your 1st inspection within 26 weeks of registration date. This has certainly been the case in the three settings we have opened in the last 5 years.

But to echo what others are saying - I have to question the price £800 a week !!!!!

The inspection handbook says that the first inspection will be "within 30 months of their registration date"

The inspection handbook says that the first inspection will be "within 30 months of their registration date"

OK - This has possibly changed since we opened our last setting in 2013. We were told that we were unable to open until the registration visit was completed. We opened in July and were told our first inspection would be by 31 Jan 2014 (That was before the half day notice and they were waiting in the car park for us when we arrived to open after xmas holiday on 2nd January !!)

we are also in the process of re registration

and waiting for them to contact us as we were told they would not speak with any one we have too wait for them. and are still waiting. as we are already sett up and just moving venue our Ofsted out come will carry over with us.

Thanks for the replies. The church hall that I'm looking to rent is charging £20 per hour so to hire from 8am until 4pm =£160 day x 5 days =£800.

I am trying to get it reduced :blink: I can only take 20 children at one time so 20 in morning 20 in afternoon. The hall is small but the garden is big! (have asked a few halls how much they charge and they are around £15-£20 hour)

In my current nursery where I work we pay £15 per hour and after being open 2 years we are still waiting for our Ofsted grading inspection! (36 children in anyone session)

Rebecca I think the 30 months your talking about is for your first Ofsted grading inspection not the registration visit.

What i'm trying to find out is after you have decided to open a nursery, found premises, submitted the DBS check application to Ofsted and paid the fee of £220 (nursery on non-domestic premises) how soon has someone had their registration/suitable premises check?

Thank you

Ofsted say up to 26 weeks between application and reg visit. In our area they are usually more like 3 months but it may depend on area.

As others have said I don't know how you can be sustainable paying £800 in rent per week, have you looked into your budget and worked how you are going to cover your overheads etc from what you will have coming in.

Re inspections, the rules were changed in 2014 first inspection now up to 30 months after opening. I think most people agree it's far too long!

• Like 2

Tedbear,

Can I just say, that when we moved to a different venue, like you our preschool had been well established (over 20yrs) but we couldn't carry are Osfsted report with us, as we were classed as a new setting and had to have a new registration/ ofsted number. We moved out at the end of the summer term, had a registered inspection in August and the registration certificate came through 1st week in September so we officially opened15th September 2014. Although it did say 25 weeks in the email from Ofsted when i enquired, thankgoodness it didn't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nomski100, our registration visit was around 16 weeks after opening.

Regarding rent, I think you should renegotiate with the church. Hourly rates are normally quoted for weekly hire, such as baby and toddler groups who may only book for an hour or two each week.

You are signing what is essentially a lease, which in practice should mean you pay an agreed weekly rate that is far less than ad hoc hire rates.

IMHO start by offering half normal hourly rates, i.e. £400 per week/£10/hr.

Edited by MagicStar
  • Like 1

Just to add...

Try to negotiate a reduced rate with the church for the period whilst you are waiting for Ofsted. Explain the situation to them. They may be sympathetic!

On a side note, Ofsted really need to look at this 26 week process. If they came at 26 weeks we might not have still been around! I think they should split the registration process. Step 1: Registered Person and suitability checks. Step 2: Once approved you can go ahead, secure and fit out premises. Ofsted should commit to visiting your premises within say 8 weeks. Unless you are the Sultan of Brunei, how can people be expected to bear such costs for 26 weeks?

Edited by MagicStar
  • Like 1

Like most of my colleagues on here nomski I also am concerned about your rent level....what's included?? at that level on a 52 week occupancy you are paying over 41K per year and 30k for a 38 week year. I am assuming as you are paying the £220 fee then you are operating longer hours. You suggest you are taking the setting for 8 hours per day but as pack away I am also assuming you are taking 2 x 3 hour sessions plus an hour for set up and clear down. That means you are working on funded only children at an average rate of £4 per hour so a maximum income of £160 per day which is your daily rent charge! so no pay for anyone then??????!!!!! Remember your staffing costs in education will always be around 70% of income.

We have higher numbers than you and pay 12k per year (no packaway) and we still struggle ! given the 30 hour question I don't see how you can operate.

Sorry I know this wasn't the question but I've just had exactly the same conversation with a parent who wants to set up a setting...they have pulled out due to the figures not adding up

On a more helpful note when we moved 5 years ago we had a suitable person check on application and then had to wait over 17 weeks for the registration inspection which was longer than expected which meant that we had to operate for 2 hour sessions a day until they turned up (they do say they will prioritise the needs of the children!) ...we were then inspected in 7 months.

I am taking over a current business - I am currently the manager and have just purchased the business - I will still be the registered person and have all the same staff and premises. It will be interesting to see how long my registration takes - we had a full inspection in January so I would hope that would go some way to answering their questions but we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nomski

I opened in September 2014. Registration took about 24 weeks. Luckily I had factored that in so didn't start paying rent until I was expecting the registration visit. The church hall was empty and they were keen for my business so were happy to wait.

As others have echoed. Your costs are very high. I pay £10 an hour which is a reduction from the ad hoc user rate of £15. They're going to be getting a sizeable income from you, particularly if the hall is not currently being used. You will most likely be running at a loss in the early days (when I opened I had five children). If you have to add six months of rent on top of that it will take you a long time to break even. See if they'll take a nominal holding fee in the interim.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

My post was a while back but we all like a little update!

After taking all you advice I asked the hall to reduce the rent and they said they would get back to me. Two weeks later i received an email stating that they have decided NOT to rent it out to me as they want to be able to come and go as they please!

I am so happy i did not go ahead with this hall as 2 weeks later i found a scout hut to rent for £120 a week!!!

It needed serious work on the garden so have spent my time doing it up and preparing for the pre-registration visit. Have checked Ofsted website today and all but one check is left to complete.(I applied in middle of June!) Have had it rent free until this week so have been able to get all work done.

I have purchased all equipment and have office set up with all documents.

I had to dig up and relay grass as garden was on big slope. Also had to erect fencing. I have put two new sinks in bathroom, decorated all areas and have had a door release video intercom installed.

I am now hoping to be open after Christmas is all goes to plan ^_^

• Like 4

That all sounds fantastic Nomski!

So glad things worked out with the premesis. Sounds far more financially viable. Good luck with it all - you're in an exciting time!

One tip - the run up to Christmas can be a nightmare for marketing to families (too many distractions). I would start marketing now, if you haven't already done so.

• Like 2