Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Ready ? .

Ooo really feeling bad now!!! No seriously, previous years many have gone into school with 'good attempts' at their names.

NO NO NO don't feel bad that's not the point!I was just wondering if i'd missed something.....

Again if someone has a magic method - be happy to hear it! : )

Don't know that I have any magic formula...competition in the boys group seems to work well in our group "Well done Johnny that's a really good J oh and Luke a fab L do you want a go Sammy????

• Like 1

Rafa please don't feel bad - parents are very 'keen' in my area! :)

Of course! Ours have aspirations to be "The" Premiership Champion Football Players!!! Ogey Ogey Ogey!!

(is that spelt write)?!!!!!!

Don't worry Rafa, I'm in same league as you. Lots of summer born who are not interested. All can recognise, well this week anyway. Not much parental interest or support. We encourage, cajole, praise, model and use every available opportunity.

• Like 1

I only feed one primary school and wait for it - smug alert - the reception teacher always says "I could tell, without knowing, which children have been with you" :1b (she means 'in a good way') :lol:

We get this too, it's a nice feeling isn't it :1b :1b :1b

• Like 2

now Catma behave!!! this is not about bashing teachers it is about THIS teacher and her badly expressed views and opinions.

You know that is just me poking the bees nest with a stick!!

Cx

• Like 2

I'm a big advocate of getting the gross motor, whole arm movements of anti clockwise/retracing verticals/patterning going in all sorts of ways. Until you have the whole arm movements going its too soon to develop the smaller hand movements.

sand, water, walls for vertical surfaces, whole tables covered in paper, large spaces to scribble and make circular movements etc. Go big to go small.

Cx

• Like 5

I'm a big advocate of getting the gross motor, whole arm movements of anti clockwise/retracing verticals/patterning going in all sorts of ways. Until you have the whole arm movements going its too soon to develop the smaller hand movements.

sand, water, walls for vertical surfaces, whole tables covered in paper, large spaces to scribble and make circular movements etc. Go big to go small.

Cx

as am I ...referred a girl to OT last year the paediatrician was horrified that she couldn't hold a pencil in a tripod grip....I had to assure her mother that the paediatrician was mistaken as she needed to work on her gross motor skills first (she couldn't climb/thread use one handed tolls etc etc ....fortunately the mother took my word and went with our recommendations!

• Like 3

Just throwing another angle into the mix...

We're talking about children 'achieving academically' at younger and younger ages and promoting that as good - yet if we compare our school standards/academic results to those countries whose children do not start 'formal' education until age 6 or 7, our children leave their primary and secondary schools at a lower academic level. What does that say for our schools' being forced to concentrate on the three Rs from such a young age versus social readiness???

Edited by JJA
  • Like 5

We teach school readiness in the forms as stated above, toileting, knife and fork control and so on.... I'm extremely careful when it comes to writing as we sent a cohort to school where many were writing their name, however the reception class had been made to start teaching cursive. I went down a month later to see the children and a couple of children who could write their name clearly showed me their work where they had written their names in cursive, oh my gosh it was like turning the mark making back a year it was unrecognisable.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)