Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What does outstanding look like ?

joanne2212

Hi was just wondering if anybody out there with an outstanding grade would be willing to share some photos of their settings ? I have just paid for a mock inspection today as past two inspections have been good but staff have put in lots of work to push us to hopefully getting outstanding next time but have been left a bit confused by feedback we got today. One of the things the lady said was that our displays weren't wow enough I tried asking her what she meant by this and she just said we need to catch the inspection the moment she walks in , they need to look and go wow that's brilliant, so am still a little confused thought if anybody could share what outstanding looks like it may help me pass it on to my team.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me

We run from a village hall that leaves a lot to be desired on the "looks" front! Everything is a little old and tired looking (including the staff!!). I seem to remember our display being half done when we were inspected and as a manager I get a little exasperated by staff who spend all of their time creating beautiful displays with little child input that look brilliant!!

Who did your mock inspection and were your 2 good gradings from different frameworks?

• Like 1

I can understand your frustration. The problem is, what one inspector sees as outstanding, another will see as less important. We have been 'good' for our last two inspections. At our last inspection in May 15 the section of the report that says "The setting is not yet outstanding because..." gave two very small issues that we were able to put right the following week. But if we had been inspected again that week, we would have not been outstanding for other reasons because it would be a different inspector. I know they have grade descriptors to work to, but at the end of the day, it comes down to the inspector's personal opinion. I've come to the conclusion that if you do everything you can to create an outstanding provision, it comes down to the luck of the draw.

• Like 2

We run from a village hall that leaves a lot to be desired on the "looks" front! Everything is a little old and tired looking (including the staff!!). I seem to remember our display being half done when we were inspected and as a manager I get a little exasperated by staff who spend all of their time creating beautiful displays with little child input that look brilliant!!

Who did your mock inspection and were your 2 good gradings from different frameworks?

What grading do you have ??? It was done by a private company and the lady was actually an inspector before she set up on her own, no both goods were within the same framework only 6 months apart as we had to sack a member of staff and two days later we had a complaint

What grading do you have ??? It was done by a private company and the lady was actually an inspector before she set up on her own, no both goods were within the same framework only 6 months apart as we had to sack a member of staff and two days later we had a complaint

Our grading is outstanding - what were your recommendations? Is there any sort of link between the recommendations of the two inspections or are they totally different?

Edited by Ancaster

Also our displays are all the children's work and their writing except our FBV board which is still pictures of the children with quotes as to how they are achieving said FBV, this is another reason as to why I don't understand what she was implying by wowing the inspectors if it was all adult work then fair enough.

I think it's less about 'wow' display and more about 'wow' provision. I know that when we were inspected in September, on the tour of our nursery, which happened before any observations the inspector was looking at everything. It wasn't just the displays - I could tell that she was soaking it all in as we showed her round. I think it's a bit like when you're trying to sell your house - if you want someone to buy it at the full asking price you make sure that everything works and looks lovely. You wouldn't get the 'price' you wanted for your house if the bathroom looked beautiful but the water pressure was poor. I think really eye catching, interactive displays 'set the tone' but they aren't the most important thing.

I'm waiting for Rebecca's article about inspections - it'll be interesting to hear what the inspector thinks!

FbV..fundamental British values

To be honest I don't think a setting is outstanding because of its displays. It's much more than how it looks. I'm always a little sceptical when folk talk of 'outstanding' planning or 'outstanding' polices etc because to me outstanding is much more holistic, it's about how all the bits work together, and I find that outstanding settings on the whole 'ooze' their ethos, and their vision and values out of every pore of their being. Just a thought!

Just on another note,Joanne, how recently was your consultant an inspector because you can get out of date incredibly quickly once you stop inspecting because the framework changes often and current inspectors are forever having to go on new training to keep up to date with current trends and new schedules.

• Like 2

Our inspector made it clear that the real difference is made by having outstanding staff, and clearly keeping the children at the heart of all that we do, not paperwork/displays etc. Unfortunately "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and sadly one inspector's idea of beauty may not be the same as anothers....

• Like 2

Display includes so much though...it is about your whole presentation not just what you have on the board...so the way you display the home corner ..what's in it...why? what are the children getting from that area...how is literacy stranded through it and numeracy and cultures etc etc. I have a real thing about presentation (although I would love it to be even better ...if I had the time!) making activities irresistible is all part of display

post-30128-0-97108100-1458323618.jpg

• Like 5