Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery organisation

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone is willing to share how they work in their setting in regards to full time places and part time places for 2 and 3 year olds.

We are looking to change the dynamics in our nursery to include 2 year olds and also lunchtime etc...

I would be really grateful if members would share how they work and organise staffing. Thank you very much.

Lyndis

Nooooo don't do it.

We try to limit our 2 year olds to the afternoon session when it is quieter. But of course parents always want mornings which we do charge more for. Most 2 year olds aren't ready to be part of a large group (25) and a lot of the preschool activities go over their heads, hello time, circle time, focus activities. It would be nice to separate them but mostly we don't have the extra room. I di try to do separate circle times.

It's difficult with little toys as well, which the 4 year olds love, Lego etc.

Our lunchtimes / all day sessions are mostly 3 and 4 year olds only. We only have a couple of 2 year olds that are ready for these sessions.

• Like 2

It is difficult with one room. We allow up to 18 children in the mornings, 16 for lunch and 12 for afternoon session. This can include up to 4 two year olds (although we did go up to 8!). They can have what I can offer. We have got some two year olds doing 6 hours. We have a cosy corner where two children can sleep. So far we have only had one child who regularly sleeps in the afternoon. We run over ratio in the morning to meet (attempt to meet) the needs of all the children. 3 staff lunchtime and 2 in the afternoon. If numbers decrease, staff drop hours. We have got copacity in increase numbers if we really needed. Our problem is we are rural sessional pre-school with fluctuating numbers on role. Opening hours at the moment 9 to 3pm. We do what we have to to remain viable.

• Like 2

I am finding it increasingly hard to meet the demands of all these ages. If I had my way I would choose not to take two and a half year olds year olds, but take them we do! We do only have them in the mornings though, a whole day is just too long (one room and no proper rest facilities). I personally find that I cannot teach the older children appropriately with more focussed activities as two year olds intervene, wee themselves and flood the bathroom etc etc.

• Like 4

I agree with all the above with regard 2yr olds - if you don't need them, think again - they will certaiinly change the dynamic of your setting!!

As zigzag said - its very difficult to put 'teaching and learning' in place for the older children and it becomes all about 'managing' and 'crowd control' - The phrase 'me do it - me do it' is still ringing in my ears now and I'm trying to watch the Brit Awards! ha ha

• Like 3

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone is willing to share how they work in their setting in regards to full time places and part time places for 2 and 3 year olds.

We are looking to change the dynamics in our nursery to include 2 year olds and also lunchtime etc...

I would be really grateful if members would share how they work and organise staffing. Thank you very much.

Lyndis

::1a ::1a Lyndis you seem to have pressed a few buttons with this question! but i'm not sure we are really helping. Do you have separate rooms? Full day care nursery? or???

i'm sort of assuming from your question that you may be asking from an organising staff point for rooms but maybe i'm wrong??

• Like 3

::1a ::1a Lyndis you seem to have pressed a few buttons with this question! but i'm not sure we are really helping. Do you have separate rooms? Full day care nursery? or???

i'm sort of assuming from your question that you may be asking from an organising staff point for rooms but maybe i'm wrong??

Yes sorry, think we have hijacked it somewhat without being helpful. We take two and a half year olds but I draw the line at taking two year olds as we are not the right setup to be able to support their needs. And it's not fair on the older children. We are one room. Would not like to add two year olds to the mix at lunchtime as they would need more support from staff than we could provide.

Edited to say if we were short on numbers I would still fight tooth and nail not to take them.

Edited by zigzag
  • Like 2

Yes - sorry. I think that possibly all your replies so far come from sessional care rather than daycare. Positive points are my staffing tends to be very consistent (newest staff member has been with us 3 years) and we are all fairly set in our working hours so not many problems working our staff rotas which is all good for the children.

• Like 1

We are a full day care setting so have always taken children from babies upwards. The babies (0-2) have a separate room and facilities, but the main room is for children 2 up to school age. There are between 28 and 34 children that age every day. The mix of ages can be done and can be done well, but it does sound like it would be a completely different way of working for you if you are used to a more 'formal' way of working with adult led activities. We have more of a participatory approach with the children taking the lead and the day being built around them. Staffing ratios depend upon the ages in on that day. For example, today we have 12 two year olds and 15 three and four year olds so we have 5 staff in the room. Tomorrow we have 7 two year olds and 22 three and four year olds but that also makes 5 staff.

As full day care we, of course, have a rest/nap room and all food provided.

My advice would be to go and see as many settings as you can that already provide for two year olds and ask them - see it first hand before you leap in!

Good luck!

• Like 2