Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

References

Hi quick question... We've talked about this before on here I know. I've asked for two references one is a full reference the other is just confirming dates of work - they won't be pushed on commenting whether applicant is suitable to work with children or not, which has worked for me in the past. Is one reference enough or should I ask for a further one?

I had a message left on my phone last week, asking that 'Louise' call back, in reference to her job application.I returned the call as a courtesy, as we don't have anyone with that name in the setting. Te woman who had called then said she was trying to get hold of XX, who IS known to me, but as a parent, so I said so. The woman then asked if the mum worked for us and I said no.................she then asked if the mum had EVER worked for us, so I said 'she doesn't; she never has and it's very unlikely that she ever will ' ( that was me being diplomatic!).......so the woman said it was very interesting...........very interesting ...............she then asked if the mum had perhaps asked to use me as a reference..and I said no and I wouldn't be able to give one, either on a professional level, or as a friend, to which she replied.........interesting, again.

This job is one involving high levels of trust and I am cross that I have been used in this way. The mum in question is a very unscrupulous character, which is why I wouldn't have given her a reference...............i shall wait to see if she mentions it when we are back next week

How odd... First rule of references make sure you know you've told the person you've named them!

Oh if only!

I often get requests for a reference and really have to scratch my head to work out who it is for - sometimes work experience people who were in school for a couple of weeks during the Summer, sometimes staff who left a few years ago. The one that really stumped me was someone who had changed their family name since they left.

I feel obliged to give a reference, and often, once I've worked out who it is about, it's a good one, but life would e a lot easier sometimes if someone just had the courtesy to mention it.

And as for a thank you.....

Sorry I've hi jacked the thread - you hit a nerve here!!

I think people expect references to be taken up if they are successful at interview, but here they are asked for when someone is short listed.

We ask for 2 references, which we prefer completed on our form for equality purposes. However, some references only offer dates of employment and that is fine from a Safeguarding point of view because of the reason highlighted narnia's post!

I don't ask for references at shortlist but when the position is offered I then phone for a quick verbal reference first before getting the paperwork out to ensure that people are who they say they are and have worked where they say they have (again - see Narnia!)

I once had a nursery from Glasgow ring me to check a person's employment with myself. She had said we were her last employer but we weren't, and had said that she had been with us for 6 months, when in actual fact she had done one week and left without a trace! I did actually report this one forward to LADO on the advice of our EYA as the person was obviously moving around and lying for a reason...Just goes to show that references are not particularly about character.

Curiouser and curiouser..............have just taken a call from someone on an 020 number,who claimed to be calling from a national charity (which they named)....and they asked to speak to this mother. When I said no, she wasn't here, nor was this her number, the caller asked 'oh..did you perhaps do the XXXX with her then, as a group??'...........I said no, the person has no connection with us other than her child attends. ......................I tried calling back and the number cuts out. So, I phoned the charity ontheir advertised number...........no knowledge of the number I gave them, and though they did have a person by the mothers name on the list of people who are raising money, she's not in this area. Odd?????????

So........................I had a chat with the parent today. She told me they had quizzed her at the job interview as to why she had used our number, but wouldn't be drawn on anything else to do with it. I then told her about the charity call and she said it was odd; she HAD taken part in an event for them 3 years ago, but not since. I told her I wasn't happy about our number being used, after all, the callers didn't pluck numbers from thin air. She then, quite brazenly told me that she 'doesn't use her home phone so always gives ours'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is now under NO illusion that she can use us in this way. I said i was quite blunt about the job caller.......that she does not, has never and is very unlikely to ever work here, so she is NEVER to use us again, for anything, including references. What a B***dy cheek !