Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Applicant - pre-school

Course Title: Teaching Assistant - Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools Certificate

OCR Level 2

I have an applicant with this qualification - obviously more geared to schools rather than pre-schools, but is a level 2, a level 2 in any language????

Initial thoughts are, never employed a level 2 before, so no real idea of what their course content would be if for early years. This person has been volunteering at primary level 4-7 year olds.

Don't know anything about that qualification Panders, but I am just in process of employing a level 2 ( for the first time ) as I had no suitable level 3 applicants! Where are they?? - Sainsburys I guess?

Anyway have offered the job to this very young , but very lovely girl, who impressed me with the way she spoke and played with the children! Long may it last - and I also believe in 'grow your own'.

• Like 2

found this for you...

Level 2

Qualifications started before September 2014

Practitioners who completed or registered for a qualification before 1 September 2014 must hold a qualification that meets the full and relevant criteria to be counted in the level 2 ratios.

The following early education and childcare qualifications are considered full and relevant and were offered by various awarding organisations, and may be included in a level 2 apprenticeship framework:

• Level 2 Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce

• Level 2 NVQ in Children’s Care, Learning and Development

• Level 2 NVQ in Early Years Care and Education

• Level 2 NVQ in Childcare and Education

• Level 2 NVQ in Playwork

• Level 2 Diploma in Playwork

The following teaching assistant and supporting teaching and learning qualifications are considered full and relevant at level 2 where the practitioner achieved them and had their practice assessed in the Early Years Foundation Stage in the maintained sector:

• Level 2 NVQ for Teaching Assistants
  • Level 2 NVQ Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools

Health and social care qualifications are not considered to be full and relevant.

• Like 3

have you put it in to the qualifications database?

not yet - being lazy!!! Thought I would put it out there first.

Well our level 3 very similarly titled qualification wasn't relevant to preschool, and had to do a fresh level 3, so I assume it's not relevant.

Ohh, shame, I know this person has paid for their course themselves already, don't think asking them to do similar again would go down well!!!

Could you look into her doing a level 3 in childcare qualification or even an apprenticeship?

Well, as I say she has already paid to do this level 2 course herself and volunteering at a primary school, and whilst we haven't discussed it, obviously working as a TA is what she originally wanted. However, our hours etc. suit, and she would like to have the job with us. I am happy for her to stay level 2 actually - and see if there is any funding she can apply for after working with us for a while. She is a single parent of 3, so having already 'invested' in herself I don't think asking her to do so again would be fair, we certainly can't afford to pay for it as a group.

• Like 1

From what i've been told in the past, as long as some of her assessments have been done within the foundation stage class at the school, then it can count. Check her certificate, i know that some of the ones my staff have, have the main certificate but also some pages with a breakdown of the units they have covered. Maybe speak to her assessor and get something in writing from them to confirm that she was assessed in the early years.

• Like 1

Don't know anything about that qualification Panders, but I am just in process of employing a level 2 ( for the first time ) as I had no suitable level 3 applicants! Where are they?? - Sainsburys I guess?

Anyway have offered the job to this very young , but very lovely girl, who impressed me with the way she spoke and played with the children! Long may it last - and I also believe in 'grow your own'.

Ha! Just to say this 'very lovely girl' has just let me down! Rang today to say change of circumstance!

Back to the drawing board then! Grrrrrrrrrrr