Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Becoming a reception teacher

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I have QTS but I qualified as a secondary school teacher but haven't taught in a state school for 15 years. I was invited to teach at and run an EFL school which I did for many years. Now I'm childminding and doing a level 3.

I'd like to go back into teaching but don't know what to do next once I've finished my level 3. Would doing primary placements be enough? Should I do the EYTS course - I'm reluctant as I already have QTS and I will have level 3. I am hoping QTS + Level 3 will be equal to EYTS.

The government line is that once you have QTS then that is enough for them - it is then up to the school.

I have a lot of transferable skills but I don't by any means think I could walk into a reception classroom and pull it off without some input.

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi.

Welcome to the forum!

Your QTs remains as such - you wouldn't need to have any other qualification to teach in a school, in any year group from nursery to secondary. You could do EYTS but it is the QTS that is required to teach in a maintained sector school. Doing any other qualification would give you experience but could you do volunteering in a school at all?

Teaching in school eyfs classes can be quite varied across different schools!

Cx

I would completely second what Catma says - I think that EYFS is one of the most varying set ups across different schools. I would definitely try to get some volunteering in a reception class. Try to go in at different times of day too if at all possible - being able to see hometime and lunchtime routines would be really useful.

Agree with the above - and would like to add - go for it - it's exhausting and very demanding, but I still think it's the best year group in school and great fun - wouldn't swap it (though I think differently each September when they are soooooo needy and there's only me with 30 sometimes!

Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I had thought getting EYTS probably wasn't necessary. I'm sure I could get some experience in a local school. I had thought about looking for a TA job as a way in as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)