Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Offering sesions for 2 year olds

Morning,

I've noticed that some other settings in our local area only offer morning or afternoon sessions to their funded and non funded 2 year olds. My question is our preschool does offer the option for parents to choose for their children to stay all day. However, are we able to state that we do not offer this option to our 2 year old children? People may not agree with me but I think a 6.5 hour day is too long for our 2yr olds and as we are a preschool there are limited facilities for children who fall asleep which is what we have found with many of our little ones.

I just wasn't sure where we stood on having a policy in place that states we can't accept 2yr olds for all day sessions. If checked our funding contracts but it isn't very clear.

• Like 2

We do not offer full days with us until the child turns 3 and when we are very full with 3-4 year olds we sometimes have to turn 2 year olds away until the next academic year.yes we may lose some this way but we have been ok so far! We also are only able to offer our just turned 3 year olds 12 hours until sept as we have such a big school 2016 cohort this year.It states in our admin policy this is a termly decision on the hours offered.

For the very same reasons you have stated and the fact we have no room we do not take 2 year olds all day. some settings only allow 2 year olds they feel are ready for full days and that works for them but I wouldnt feel comfortable making that decision. Even our just turned 3 year olds are struggling on full days and staffs time is spent in the bathroom changing nappies or consoling little ones becase they are tired or just want Mummy.Parents do struggle to understand the difference between a 'pre-school' and a day nursery where like you say they have the facilities to meet the needs of little children. Goodness knows how 2 year olds go on in schools!

• Like 1

I think many settings are understanding the pressures of allocating places to funded only 2 year old's. The pay is not great due to the ratios and many of these toddlers require 1 to 1 attention a lot of the time. As mentioned.. nappy changing or toilet training needs, the obvious behaviour challenges etc etc..

It sounded great on the surface.. that we can offer 2 year old funded places and increase our income as with the 3/4 year old's but it just is so much more difficult, in our experience at least.

If a choice was available between 2 3/4 year old's, or 1 2 year old funded place.. it is financially better and much less "work" to take the 2 3/4 year old's..

So do we rely on finances and "workload" or do we be the caring settings that should be able to manage and nurture these toddlers who do need it??

What is the solution?

Edited by BroadOaks
  • Like 2

We do offer full sessions to 2 year olds once they have settled in but it is on the understanding that they 'cope' ok etc. They are all so different, we have some 2 year olds that do 3 x 6 hour days and cope no different to 3 or 4 year olds then we have some 2 year olds who struggle with a 3 hour morning session.

• Like 2

We only offer our day session to the 3 and 4 year olds for all the reasons listed above. If I had my way I would change our policy and not accept 2 year olds at all! We are a pre school and a lot of time is now taken up with two year old needs which are so vastly different from the four years old needs. It just seems that I am always distracted by the younger ones and not able to sustain a focus with the older ones for any length of time.

• Like 4

Once again, I am jammed and can't offer places to 3 year olds because the 2's are requiring the staff. Thinking next year I might only take 4 two year olds for morning sessions on 2 days. When full... The waiting list!

My thoughts exactly Megamum! Next September I plan to think very carefully about my intake. There are funded 2s on my waiting list and I know these parents are hoping for the full free hours. Usually I would try to accommodate but after taking in so many this year I would definately say - "Whooaa! No more!". As lovely as they are they just wreck the place! I tried to set up shop role play last week and it looked like Black Friday in my place! The 3and 4 year olds just gave it a quick glance and left hastily.......retreated to have their own social play in safetly! Of course added to the mix I have 3 identified send children and 2 - to be identified!!

No, I'm afraid this has been another initiative fostered on us that needs very carefully thinking about. The 'teaching and learning' that Ofsted behold is more than a balancing act - its a bloomin MAGIC act!

• Like 5

Well if we have to work within the ratios advised I will be approaching my committee to change how many and how long we will be able to have 2 year olds in sessions. In a small pre-school working in one room, we are finding it difficult to meet the needs of all of the children all of the time - if I am being honest. I'm sure there are wonderful settings out there doing it everyday. Just having a bad week moment.

• Like 2