Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Opinions please on safeguarding referral

I would really appreciate your thoughts on my dilemma - I recently contacted our Children's Services Dept expressing my concern about a child in my care - the family had had previous dealings with Children's services. They did not appear interested so I thought it was the end of the matter until the parent came storming into my office - screaming at me that she had had a call from a social worker saying 'the nursery had reported her to children's services'. I rang the social worker to express my concern at being named and she said anyone who reports to CS should be prepared to take 'ownership' of their concerns. I agree and would have been happy to 'take ownership' should the need arise but I am really worried that there appears to be no confidentiality - I am struggling to see why we had to be named. I was happy to give my details etc thinking they would remain confidential.

Am I wrong ?

It sounds logical but unfortunately, they do say who told them. Maybe it supposed to stop malicious reports, although I would have thought it would stop you contacting in the first place if you thought you were going to get some scary parent shouting their head off at you in the office or worse in the street.

It's probably best to tell the parent at the time that you call if possible.

Be nice if ofsted worked on the same principles.

• Like 1

If a professional reports concerns then the parents/ guardians are informed , if it is a member of the public then they are not.

Funnily enough I had this conversation today at WRAP workshop with a employee of a sporting association .

I too had a situation where I rang for advice on a situation that occurred out of setting but was made aware of, I was informed that they could call the parent and would give my name, I decided to approach the parent myself as I felt the trust and relationship we had would have been destroyed, fortunately the situation was dealt with with no lasting animosity.

Did you take note of the conversation and record details of it with the children services, we have a hub in Essex ( took place of irt ) and of course the parent.

I did speak to the social worker expressing my concern but she was the one who told me that is the procedure. My husband who is a police officer felt that I was a breach of data protection but from your replies it would appear that it is acceptable. Unfortunately it has definitely tainted my opinion of the whole process.

On training I have attended they say its good practice to inform parents unless that puts the child at risk of more harm? Its a difficult call. I had a similar situation a few years ago. Children's Services told me not to tell parents but the next day I had very angry parent shouting and swearing at me. Must admit I always try to speak to parents first now, even if its a case of telling them that I am ringing for advice.

I had a situation where a parent was being verbally abusive and I was really traumatised. When I raised concerns, the social worker told me they would tell him/her I had reported them, when they asked where the concern originated. I was so frightened because the parent was volatile. I rang my LA for support and got none. I was just told you're a professional, stand up to it..... and then she went onto tell me her experiences, as if that was supposed to make it ok. I was really scared for a while. Not right!

Edited by MegaMum
  • Like 1