Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parent Preschool Committee & a Ltd Company?

Hello,

Needing some advice.

I'm the new manager (September 2015) of a Preschool setting (Charity Parent Committee run).

I recently completed the Ofsted questionnaire and have now this evening received an email to say I have to re-register as a new setting but this is not the case as nothing has changed. I have sorted out a new committee (DBS EY2), myself as manager and nominated person.

On the questionnaire I sent I provided a Company number and I know the preschool is also registered with Company's house? So I'm a little confused and am now a bit worried.

Any advice would be helpful.

I called Ofsted and the person on the phone asked if there had been any changes I said no and he said that's fine and to email them back. I'm thinking should I have not included a Company Ltd number on the questionnaire.

Thank you

My first thought is that I am manager of committee led pre-school which is a registered charity but we do not have a number with companies house so not quite sure what kind of group yours is? Did your committee change how they are set up in the last couple of years but not inform Ofsted???? I'm probably grasping at straws for you???? Very confused by Ofsted logic at the moment!

• Like 1

Hello and thank you for your reply,

I am now worried that the previous manager implemented a change and now I am going to be left to sort it out!!! She had been at the setting for 15 years.

We are a parent run committee charity preschool and I was just under the impression we were registered with Company's house to be able to show our charity accounts and have a bank account. We have an accountant who deals with the accounts side of stuff.

Your set up sounds like ours, we are a charity run by a committee of parents. We are not registered with companies house, but with the Charity Commission and have a charity number.

Hi we are a incorporated company with charitable status too. So we are registered with both.

When we changed to this back in 2011 we did have to inform Ofsted. Nothing else had changed but we did have to re-register with both.

We then received a new charity number and a registered company number. If it was done through PSLA you should be able to speak to someone regarding this. By the way Ofsted can easily find your company by name without a number. They do this to check that your committee/trustees are listed as directors when completing a DBS and EY2.

Feel free to pm me if I can help further in anyway.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that they didn't change to incorporated without letting ofsted know?????? You would need to re-register at the point of changing to incorporated.

Otherwise do you mean a new manager / nominated person interview. These are lengthy and in depth. At least they used to be.

• Like 1

Hello and thanks again for your comments,

Had a read through the new 2016 Registration hand book and it does look like it may be a re-registration. However the previous manager left a lot of things that needed to be sorted so I'm not surprised if it hasn't been done properly, but I'm sure I will cope.

I'm going to check all Ofsted paperwork that was left, as this happened in 2008 as well as waiting for the reply from Ofsted and see what next.

Wow I'm learning an awful lot and funnily I'm still loving being the manager, despite the extra work load and responsibility.

• Like 3

Hi we are a incorporated company with charitable status too. So we are registered with both.

When we changed to this back in 2011 we did have to inform Ofsted. Nothing else had changed but we did have to re-register with both.

We then received a new charity number and a registered company number. If it was done through PSLA you should be able to speak to someone regarding this. By the way Ofsted can easily find your company by name without a number. They do this to check that your committee/trustees are listed as directors when completing a DBS and EY2.

Feel free to pm me if I can help further in anyway.

Hope this helps.

We have been considering changing to a charitable incorporated association, was it worth the hassle? It seems like quite a lot of work to change over from what I have read, was it a long drawn out process? Thanks

Hi kiddywink, it did take a lot of work, but we did have the support of PSLA.. However I think there is a new CIO now that does not require you to report to both Companies House and the Charity Commission.

Which might be worth investigating.

I suppose you need to weigh up the reasons to change from what you already are, and the pros and cons of any changes.

Hope this helps.:)

Well that's a good question. Our change was a condition of receiving a large grant, so that's why we did it.

It does offer our committee/directors less financial liability, unless they are found to be negligent.

We are limited without guarantee/shares.

However it does mean more costs, as we have to provide financial statements to both CH and CC.

We are exempt from corporation tax, due to our charitable status which is good.

There are also fines for late entry of accounts etc so you must be quite efficient with this side of the business.

I am going to suggest to our committee that we look into the newer CIO, as I gather this is less burdensome in administration. If you look on the PSLA website it gives a brief description of incorporated companies.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2